Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 04:14 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
There does appear to be some bitterness here about marriage.

Having been unhappily married as well as now very happily married (to the same person) I can see why some don't want to marry again, oh but it's so nice when you get it right!!
I'm very glad to hear that you are happily married. I would like to be one day. So if you don't mind me picking your brains... tell me, how do you maintain a happy marriage? and what lessons did you learn from your first marriaage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 05:21 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I'm very glad to hear that you are happily married. I would like to be one day. So if you don't mind me picking your brains... tell me, how do you maintain a happy marriage? and what lessons did you learn from your first marriaage?
Oh where to start. To clarify I've only been married once. We were unhappy in the beginning and then both decided we didn't want to continue living like that, so we both changed. And now we're very happy, (but he can still be a butthead) . We did not change for each other, we changed for our individual growth.

We're on our 8th year and what really turned it around is good communication, spending quality time together (including intimacy), and above all stop trying to change the other person! Put the focus on yourself and do what's right for you. Emotionaly maturity helps too.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:25 PM

110 posts, read 588,512 times
I think the problem is that women often go for guys who aren't good for them. Instead of going for the nice passive guy who has an even-temper (because he's "boring"), they would rather go for their emotions which is usually a strong-willed, confident, unpredictable guy (who probably has other girls he could date). The woman then complains afterward when he does something mean to her, even though it was always her choice to go out with this guy to begin with. Don't you just love attraction?

Old 06-03-2007, 01:03 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,399 times
I've sworn off women and I am a better person for it. Why waste my money on someone who only appreciates my bank account and nothing else? No thanks, I'd rather stay single for the rest of my life.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:21 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I would never get married again, but I would certainly date a bunch of men. I don't need some man to take care of me or provide financial support or any of that crap. Nor do I need some man telling me what to do, how much I can spend, what time I should be home, etc. But if some man wants to lavish me with fabulous gifts, who am I to argue with him???
Its fine to not need a man to tell you how to spend money.....but most women (maybe not you) who say that dont look at the relationship as a whole and dont have the right priorities on what to spend on money first...you do need the space and not expected to be home at a certain time if you are only dating. The question is not if you would want a man to take care of you and all that if you love him because they usually will but the question is if you fell in love what would you do for him? It sounds a little selfish to ask what can they do for me and women like that are usually the ones that always leave a relationship because things arent going "thier way"

Old 06-07-2007, 01:25 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,710 times
I have been married twice...both disasters...

Of course I am not faultless, I totally ignored alot of red flags going in...I made alot of compromises trying to save the relationships which were doomed from the beginning.

At this point in my life I just don't want to change anymore...I don't think I have what it takes to make a relationship work anymore...You have to be able to meet someone half way...I just don't think I can anymore.

Its not unreasonable for a husband to want to take his family to spend the holiday with his parents right?? Well I have no plans on going somewhere cold for anything, nevermind Christmas.

What if I were to marry and he worked for a large company that wanted to transfer him elsewhere...I have no plans on moving unless its further south.

What if his Mother needed to live with us...HELL no, I'm not living with anyones Mother...no way, no how.

What if his pest of a child from a previous marriage has to live with us...this child of course causing problems with my own child...thats just not something I want to deal with.

I think I am doing the men of the Orlando area a favor in NOT dating...

Old 06-07-2007, 10:20 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,729,895 times
Default Hey, babe do not stop there......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I think I am doing the men of the Orlando area a favor in NOT dating...

Go for the World tour. Give all the dudes some slack, we really appreciate cutting our odds down to the ones that want a Good man.

Pass it on, all the loser women, stay at home or go for other women. Give us guys a chance. Even the guys in Alaska will love only women that actually want real men for just being men. Forget us, if you want a servant, butler, guy to carry packages or somebody to cut the lawn. Or even a boy toy or two. We refuse to dress up to impress somebody.

Just remember Real Men love TV, football and beer. Plus their dogs and teddy bears. Please leave the toilet seat up for us too. We need a big target and can slip on the wet floor if we miss.

Thank you for your consideration and being willing to just stay home and watch Generous Hospital on TV. Leave Real Men just be happy doing what they do best.

PS: Never put a Real Man's stuff on the lawn, especially after he has done his best for you.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:54 PM

18 posts, read 43,288 times
i am single and have been for awhile but i havent sworn off men, why should i when i can just date them, make new male friends, no one said just cause it didnt work with whom ever i gotta act like men dont exist, and if for example i was to swear off men, date women, cant women put me through just as much as a male, only difference is gender, so ladys lets not swear off ALL men just yet, even though i am single i still feel that i can see the good in other men.....

Old 06-17-2007, 07:24 PM

283 posts, read 1,384,268 times
Ok, the problem is that females pick the wrong males. And what is with that male who says that a "real" man loves beer, football, and tv(ok last one I can't argue with). But seriously how pathetic would it be if that were the type of males these women went after. If that is the case then the women is at fault for not seeing the way the male is. Of course their are males who are the greatest human beings ever. But females don't want them because they don't fit the image of what is an acceptable male in our society.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:24 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyluv77 View Post
I've been hurt by too many men, so I can speak for myself. I am through with men completely. I am attracted to women, so I guess I will never let myself fall for another man.
If you are speaking of emotions, no one can hurt you, you and only you can let yourself be hurt. It's a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships