Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Democrat Would have Best Chance at Beating Trump in 2020 for President?
Elizabeth Warren 19 17.12%
Jason Kander 6 5.41%
Tim Kaine 5 4.50%
Tim Ryan 5 4.50%
Keith Ellison 6 5.41%
other (explain) 70 63.06%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 01:40 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Gabbard/Webb. Think Webb would make an amazing VP!
Would rather see Webb/Gabbard, but could live with either if Gabbard dumped her attacks on gun rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 03:16 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,968,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Whomever the candidate, the D nominee is likely to get more votes than Donald Trump/Mike Pence, but whether they get them in the right portions by state to win is an open question. It will probably depend on how Trump or his successor rates with Independents. The cult will still be there, but that alone won't be enough.
I love it when you make predictions about elections. The exact opposite usually follows.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:18 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,968,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Need a Candidate that is a moderate, libertarian leaning, and Blue Dog/Progressive Democrat. In addition to, can reach out to various demographics. Has military or police experience.

That's why Gabbard/Demming be a good mix.

You have individuals who have served in the military and another individual who is a police chief. Represent the Pacific Americans and African Americans voting block. Have a strong supporter of Bernie Sanders. A political outsider and a new member of Congress with leadership experience. Represent various religious organization's.

Good chance to win Florida, Hawaii, California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and the Islands with these candidates.
There are about five moderate Democrats left in the country. The chances of one of them convincing the raving leftist lunatics that make up the base of today's Democrat Party is zero. It's too bad, really.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:54 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,907,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
There are about five moderate Democrats left in the country. The chances of one of them convincing the raving leftist lunatics that make up the base of today's Democrat Party is zero. It's too bad, really.
The Republicans have won the argument on war, trade, energy exploration and deregulation of the economy while the Democrats have won (or are winning) on the social issues, with abortion still up in the air.

In 1964, when Hillary Rodham supported Governor Barry Goldwater, she was supporting a radical right wing candidate of the Republican party. She has not changed her position one whit, yet she was wrongly touted as some left-leaning progressive Democrat, the reincarnation of FDR. That is a clear indicator of how far right this entire country has moved over the past fifty three years.

Worst of all, beyond their betrayal of their "base", is that corporate Democrats like the Clintons and Obamas have followed pure corporatist policies that have been labeled as "liberal" so that when these policies fail, they are attributed as liberal failures which clear more ground for a further rightward movement of this country.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:01 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,907,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Corey Booker. He's got the goods, just needs to polish his act a bit and focus on outreach and bringing the party together. Ties with Big Pharma need attention - otherwise, he'd do well by the time he has a few more years' experience - which he will by 2020.
Booker is Obama 2.0. Another likeable and charismatic persona who will be sure to pay lip service to progressive values, while actually doing the opposite by working on behalf of the oligarch to carry out corporate interests.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:21 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,027,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Poll speaks for itself.

Who has best chance of winning against Trump in 2020?

Don't know who these people are? Google is your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2MWJkDaOPU
I can't believe 4 of the 5 choices are white. This isn't your Grandfather's democrat party anymore.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:24 PM

18,039 posts, read 27,497,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I know it's early, but I've been wondering about who the Democrats should run in 2020. As a Democrat, I was a little disappointed with how few people were in the debates last time around. I voted for Bernie in the primaries, but I was ready to move on once he lost. I wasn't a passionate Hillary supporter but I happily voted for her.

However, the Dems will need a candidate with more enthusiasm behind him or her, and one that will be very solidly ahead of the other candidate. You can even lose the electoral college with a 3 million popular vote lead, so it's important to have as much support as you can get across the board.

I honestly have no idea who are the best choices right now. I know Bernie has a lot of passionate supporters, but he, along with everyone born before 1950 or so, will be too old next time around.

Ideally in my opinion, it should be someone who's not anti-gun, and who can appeal to as many people as possible with their platform. Also, it should be someone on the younger side. And of course, somebody with as little baggage as possible! Only Republicans, more specifically Donald Trump, are allowed to have baggage it seems like.

The anti-gun thing is important because not being pro-gun alone is a deal breaker for many people, but not being anti-gun is not a dealbreaker for most Democratic voters. It might open up a lot of gun owners to vote Democrat, which would be very help.

Also, as far as states go, I think Democrats should have Arizona, Georgia, and Texas in their crosshairs. The former two states, Hillary did not lose by a large margin and I can see the next Democrat possibly winning those states. Texas is a little more of a long shot, but it's not impossible. If the Dems get Texas, the Republicans would have very little chance of winning.
John McCain.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:44 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,377,954 times
Why would anybody after 1 month of POTUS holding office even venture such a guess?

At this point, Trump and his Administrations has shown a lot to the National electorate.. and many are not enthused. A lot of things have been exposed.. not so great.. a lot mis-steps have caused worries Nationally and Internationally .. But until this administration moves forward... The electorate will move accordingly.. NOT just protesting now.. BUT how whatever Trump's Administrations agenda along with Majority Congress progresses will tell the tale!

The actual outcome of 2018 will suggest just how well this newly minted Administration functioned and actually HELPED. I wouldn't ever suggest automatic re-election of GOP reps ( House or Senate) automatic.
The outcome of legislations will cause voters to seek whatever they want.

Congress is suppose to vote for their Constituents.... Gerrymandering has ensured some folks.. BUT not all. Many GOP believe that once a REPUBLICAN always a Republican... BUT they forget.. Much of the bluster of the past 8 years will be for NOT if GOP Rule ends up directly affecting their own voters NEGATIVELY!!

Right now, GOP controls totally ALL levels, and their own WILL end up holding the BAG to line the pockets of lobbyists, DONORS ..

Guess what? Won't turn out so rosy! IF debt goes up.. look out for those that want decreasing Debt. But when once again a GOP POTUS led Fed. Government that led balanced budget into 2 wars ( on credit card) and Debt rising to about 11 Trillion.... and by end of it.. Meltdown of Wall Street, devastating of economy.. regular citizens losing their life savings..and the RICH got richer after being bailed out!

What else could go wrong?..when these bailout type gets tax cuts, deregulations and less responsibility legislated when regular people end up paying up hugely to support them!!

Good luck, because I sense, the market is betting right now.. and investors are profiting.. BUT regular folks never realize it because that bubble will burst when insiders pull the plug..and everything tanks..

Please recall what happened near end of 2008! It's not impossible to happen again since de-regulation seems to be the game plan!

Old 02-21-2017, 06:55 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,378,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Some of you people are just living in an alternate universe. That loud mouth ethnocentric fool has no chance of gaining any (R) support on this planet.
Right and he has no path to 270 either. As long as the liberals keep throwing tantrums and calling everyone who dares to disagree with them a fascist or nazi no democrat has a chance in 2020.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:33 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,038,225 times
I voted other cause I want Hillary to have another shot.Just for laughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections