Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:49 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,817,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Having a Democratic governor is not the same as your state being controlled by Democrats. So again, when was the last time Democrats controlled Pennsylvania ????

and according to Philly.com there are 15,000 Syrian Refugees in the entire state. Somehow I dont see them outnumbering you , LOL
And the majority of those 15,000 Syrian Refugees would rather be in their own country but thanks to a ineffective president Obama, they were forced to leave their homes.

And to comment on your 15,000 Syrian Refugees... those 15,000 turns into 30k, then into 90k then 120k and on. Unless you think they won't procreate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 09:14 PM

29,627 posts, read 16,639,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And the majority of those 15,000 Syrian Refugees would rather be in their own country but thanks to a ineffective president Obama, they were forced to leave their homes.

And to comment on your 15,000 Syrian Refugees... those 15,000 turns into 30k, then into 90k then 120k and on. Unless you think they won't procreate?
Youa re trying to make a futuristic argument, when the person I responded to said he was outnumbered now. That clearly isnt true, never mind the flawed "Outnumbered" as if these are bad people argument.

As for the Obama argument, did you actually support attacking Syria and if so, did you tell the reublicans you support to shut up and stop trying to block the president with a PR campaign and a threat of voting down any action he took so that he would have to withdraw troops because of not having funding and the war powers act ?????

Old 09-05-2017, 10:16 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,689,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Then you have no problem with a wall? We are one of the only countries that has this DACA policy and you do realize that this program only opens the door for more illegals to enter?

As far as single payer; that means more government and we know that our government can make mistakes. This year the IRS told me I owed $58 after I paid my taxes early. I sent them the additional check for $58 and one month later they sent me a check for $58.39! While relaying this to another man at the doctor's office; he told me that the IRS did the same thing with his father that is in a nursing home. In his case it was over $900.

Now, as far as legalizing marijuana; I am against it. the reason I am against it is because of road safety. We don't want people talking on cell phones; so why do we welcome another distraction? I know that it would be illegal to drive while high like with alcohol. But it is much easier to test for alcohol than it is for THC; we have no simply, quick, test. I have heard the arguments that marijuana is safer than alcohol; but many people would use both - two wrongs do not make a right. It isn't only that; but users and government can never agree how much THC in the blood is too much. I think the government limits are too low and I think the users believe in limits too high. I will probably lose this battle because so many want it now; but that does not mean I have to support the effort.
I do have a problem with a wall. I still have family that lives in Slovakia and the Czech Republic, which were both behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War, so I know all about walls, as well as mined and razor wired no man's lands. It was wrong in Europe then, and it's wrong here now; plus it's a bad use of money.

And as far as marijuana and your stance, you really can't claim to want less government or that you don't want a nanny state with your stance....

Old 09-06-2017, 04:07 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,238,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I do have a problem with a wall. I still have family that lives in Slovakia and the Czech Republic, which were both behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War, so I know all about walls, as well as mined and razor wired no man's lands. It was wrong in Europe then, and it's wrong here now; plus it's a bad use of money.
There is no comparison between what the communist did with the Iron Curtain. Mexicans and other people from south of the border will be free to apply for green cards or American citizenship. As far as I know; we will not stop those that want to visit; but we will want to know who they are. If they have been in trouble before for ignoring our laws; I expect that they will not get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
And as far as marijuana and your stance, you really can't claim to want less government or that you don't want a nanny state with your stance....
My feelings are based on my 100,000 miles I used to spend on our roads every year. I do not like distractions and until users can come up with a way to stay off our roads; I am not in favor of one more distraction. Maybe, if we switch to self-driving vehicles, I will change my mind? But then we still have to go to work with people that are not really on the same page.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Youa re trying to make a futuristic argument, when the person I responded to
So you're saying that they may not procreate?

Old 09-06-2017, 09:10 PM

956 posts, read 1,211,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
God, guns and gays - a time honored strategy to get rural America to vote against their own self interests. Not something new and not the last time it will happen. I personally enjoy the hilarious irony of watching poor and middle class rural dwellers get suckered into voting for a New York huckster while claiming that he understands them and will do something to improve their lives. Trump is a member of the same elite club that took away their pensions, stagnated their wages, and outsourced their jobs.

Yep. Rural America has been going backwards for decades while the cities are moving forward. You go into rural areas and they have looked exactly the same as the 60s.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:49 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,719,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Now, as far as legalizing marijuana; I am against it. the reason I am against it is because of road safety. We don't want people talking on cell phones; so why do we welcome another distraction? I know that it would be illegal to drive while high like with alcohol. But it is much easier to test for alcohol than it is for THC; we have no simply, quick, test. I have heard the arguments that marijuana is safer than alcohol; but many people would use both - two wrongs do not make a right. It isn't only that; but users and government can never agree how much THC in the blood is too much. I think the government limits are too low and I think the users believe in limits too high. I will probably lose this battle because so many want it now; but that does not mean I have to support the effort.
So to you, America would be much safer keeping marijuana sales in a underground, unregulated market. I'm sure the Mexican drug lords feel the same way.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:05 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,719,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
Yep. Rural America has been going backwards for decades while the cities are moving forward. You go into rural areas and they have looked exactly the same as the 60s.
In Oklahoma's larger small towns, the Main Streets look much different. Car dealers moved to the edge of town. Many stores have come and gone. Very few from the 1960s still remain. Wal-Mart hadn't yet begun to affect rural America during the 1960s. Small towns that have been steadily losing population for decades have found it hard to move forward with the rest of America. If parts of rural America still look the same as in the 1960s, then they were so small, they had little to lose to start with.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:40 AM

4,421 posts, read 6,280,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What a joke. Trump isn't real. He's a narcissist who wants to be worshiped. He couldn't do that as a democrat, which he was, because we all saw right through him. So he became a conservative who said all the right words and phrases to make you salivate to get him elected. You guys believed his BS. Haven't you noticed he hasn't had any legislation passed. Republicans control everything yet Trump can't get anything done....pathetic, don't you think
Yep, they bought it. Hillary had a plan. Donald just said a lot of simple catch phrases to a lot of simple people. He prayed on poorly educated people's fears and it worked. Has anyone noticed he hardly ever tweets polysyllabic words?

Old 09-10-2017, 04:37 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,238,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So to you, America would be much safer keeping marijuana sales in a underground, unregulated market. I'm sure the Mexican drug lords feel the same way.
I realize I am outnumber. I am simply stating how I feel. I fought against legalized gambling in my state and lost. I feel that, as an American, we have the right to say we don't agree. I know that I will not prevail in the current climate of legalization.

I have heard all the arguments; I just would rather have us error on the side of safety. Whether it is worse or not as bad as alcohol makes no difference to me; two wrongs do not make a right. I also am aware that it is illegal to drive while high (like drunk on alcohol) but people will still drive while high or, worse yet, drive while high and drunk. Right now we do not have a quick test to determine if drivers are high. I also think that our government could have the bar set too high when it comes to legal limits - but there will never be a consensus between our government and users as to what are 'safe' limits. I would rather that we fix the problems first before we legalize and not after the fact. In closing I also do not like that we send the wrong message to our children. Escapism should never be the 'normal'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections