Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 06:23 AM

5,718 posts, read 6,470,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I didn't see this much under Bloomberg either.....pretty much just DeBlasio.
The homeless epidemic started getting worse under Bloomberg and has kept getting worse under de Blasio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 07:57 PM

34,250 posts, read 17,329,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Democratic party has a problem, one they have not truly addressed nor even fully acknowledged. Simply put they have become the party of liberal/left with strongholds in states that reflect such views (New York, Massachusetts, California, New Jersey, etc....) which mostly are congregated in the North East and West coasts. That however leaves a vast part of the USA out, what liberals/lefts call "flyover" country. Well that has come back to bite them on the proverbial behinds. California Bubble Fully Formed: Democrats Have Supermajority in State Legislature - Jason Hopkins

Larger issue and more of a worry is that after years of predicting the demise of Republican party and or at least they never would win the WH, Democrats not only lost this past election, but did so even with such historically "big" deciding states (California) having voted for the DNC candidate. If future Republican POTUS candidates can hold the states won by Trump it means that party is once again in play.

On a more practical note this means the Democrats after a campaign of basically looking down their noses and being dismissive of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Plumber will have to come down off their high horses and mingle with the "great unwashed".
Great , spot on, post. 25 years ago, Bill Clinton won the majority of the votes of the deplorables. He was a DLC guy-the less anti business, less obnoxiously large gov't wing of the party.

DLC would have won in 2016.

DNC elected (and I am glad) President Trump.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:09 PM

29,637 posts, read 16,667,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Great , spot on, post. 25 years ago, Bill Clinton won the majority of the votes of the deplorables. He was a DLC guy-the less anti business, less obnoxiously large gov't wing of the party.

DLC would have won in 2016.

DNC elected (and I am glad) President Trump.
1. the DLC is not a governing body, its a Political action committee that many Democrats shared the value of and named themselves "New Democrats"

the DNC is the party governing body, just as the republicans have the RNC, and always has been.

all members of the Democratic party are technically DNC. And any member who fits a certain criteria can call themselves a New Democrat.

This is not the first time you have made that mistake. You seem to actually believe the DLC was the governing body of the party in the 90.

2. Hillary Clinton is DLC/New Democrat.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:55 AM

13,741 posts, read 9,830,405 times
As others have already noted, the countryside and smaller towns, are almost universally more conservative than the cities and suburbs. This has been true throughout history, and across the world. The reason, is that rural and small-town culture tends to be more parochial, more reliant on local resources (rather than long-distance interchange or commerce), more staid and settled. There’s more deference to tradition, and more skepticism of change – be it political initiatives, judicial decisions, or what’s coming from the media.

What is unusual about American society, however, is our overall veneration for the countryside. Yes, there are the inflammatory jeers from self-appointed pundits and arbiters of culture. But those notwithstanding, and the granola/coffee set in horn-rimmed glasses and berets notwithstanding, the mainstream American ethos venerates the countryside and the town, as something noble and foundational, invariant and imperturbable – something to be cherished and preserved. I gather that most nations and most people are more “progressive”, in the sense of preferring an apartment in a high-rise in the capital city, vs. a homestead in the hills. Thus it turns out, I think, that rural and small-town locales in America enjoy outsized power and influence. That they are conservative, is nothing special or odd; it’s always been thus, and always will be. What’s special and odd, is that their conservatism matters so much, to the national discourse.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:50 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,930,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
This is not the first time you have made that mistake. You seem to actually believe the DLC was the governing body of the party in the 90.
Very well said. Me thinks Bob should stick to managing and leave the politics for the scholars.

Bill Clinton, Hillary, Obama, etc. are all part of the "Third Way" neo-liberal wing of the party AKA New Democrats. If Obama was really a progressive, we would have got the public option.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:54 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,383,830 times
It wasn't just "rural America." Unless you're calling every state between NY and CA "rural America."

I spent 30 years of my life in San Diego ...a big city. All of those years I spent as a Republican. My wife is a naive San Diegan. She wanted out of there. When we moved to the country in NE Ohio, I didn't just suddenly change my political views. They were the same as always. And San Diego used to be a Republican town.

Gov. Brown has been a disaster in CA. I keep hearing this from people who still live there. Forget what the media says. It's what the people say that counts.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:03 PM

12,715 posts, read 7,866,433 times
I live in the rural South so I see it first hand.

It's primarily because of God, gays, and guns. It's been that way since the Reagan administration, but the 2015 SCOTUS decision legalizing gay marriage, the wedding cake controversy, and the transgender bathroom controversy energized rural and religious voters in the 2016 election.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:19 PM

34,250 posts, read 17,329,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I live in the rural South so I see it first hand.

It's primarily because of God, gays, and guns. It's been that way since the Reagan administration, but the 2015 SCOTUS decision legalizing gay marriage, the wedding cake controversy, and the transgender bathroom controversy energized rural and religious voters in the 2016 election.
Plus BLM chants wanting dead cops along with the cop executions in Dallas and Baton Rouge also turned millions away from the radical DNC and its un-American allies.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:03 AM

33,012 posts, read 27,570,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Look what Clinton did to NY.

There are homeless in the street of NY, even on 5th Ave. Vendors selling fake merchandise on 5th Ave like it was sold back in the days in China Town, but now it is sold in the middle of the day (Thanksgiving Day), openly in the street.

Homeless young people with signs that they are pregnant and hungry and it makes you wonder why they don't do what others do and stand up and get a job.

There are other young people standing near doors and telling the public what their restaurant has to offer.

Under Giuliani you didn't see these things in the middle of 5th Ave where the tourists are walking.

I remember Hillary saying during one of her rally's just in the last week prior to the elections, that she was going to try to do things.... after 30 years in government in different capacities....WOW that didn't seem to be what the public wanted to hear.

We the people aren't blind to what is going on. BTW all the homeless we saw were white people and aside from one person, they all looked in their twenties to mid thirties.

How many employers would even hire these homeless people?

Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,108,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There's more at the link. This is my kind of Democrat. We need more of them.
No, if elected he will still be a Democrat. He self identifies as such, and will work with his caucus on it's agenda. The day of conservative Democrats like RINO Republicans is coming to an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections