Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:47 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,909,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
That was a gazillion years ago.
Yeah, and? Correct me if I'm wrong but the Constitution was never amended to do away with the Electoral College, right? Those provisions still remain the law of the land, duly adopted and ratified in accordance with the law, yes?

Never fails to amaze me when people say such ignorant things...... If you think the provisions of the Constitution that establish the Electoral College are too old and outdated, great. Get the ball rolling on repealing them and establish a national popular vote.

I can't believe there are so many people who would be perfectly fine with just ignoring or throwing out the parts of the Constitution that they don't agree with without having gone through the lawful process of changing/repealing them. A lot of people aren't smart enough to see how dangerous that would be, which is why the founders didn't want a population, majority driven government in the first place....
Quote:
I think if the founders were around today, and were told that the majority vote was irrelevant, they'd say "what's wrong with you dude?"
Umm..... I think the fact that the founders are the ones who opted for the electoral college instead of a popular vote in the first place pretty much says you're wrong.....

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-14-2016 at 12:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 12:01 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,909,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
One person, less one vote - the modern slavery.

Again, the founders never intended for a "one person, one vote" system, so the fact that some populations are over represented compared to others is not a flaw in the system, it was the intent. America is a confederation of STATES, not people, and the system was designed to be representative of State entities and their interests, not "the people" as a whole.

It's one thing not to like that and think it needs changed, but don't misunderstand the process and attribute a flaw to it that doesn't exist.

The founders argued over and hashed all this out at the Constitutional Conventions. Some thought the same way you do. They lost out in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections