Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 05:30 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times

Advertisements

When you total up all the votes cast in this presidential election, Hillary Clinton wins it by 2 million+. No question about it. I'm not even going to bother bringing up all these unproven claims of voter fraud or conveniently take a state out that would produce my desired result like so many others here are doing. But I got curious and wondered what the totals would be if we only used those votes that actually counted. That is, we only add the votes that actually determined a winner in a given state. For example, we don't count Republican votes in California, and we don't count Democrat votes in Texas, since those votes, in all reality, don't count, have no effect, and are basically dead votes / moot.

I did the math. After adding all the votes, the alternative popular vote count comes to:

Trump: 40,809,583

Clinton: 33,305,545

So if we only use the votes that counted in this election, Trump wins the popular vote quite handily. NO, it doesn't change anything but it's a fun fact for all the data wonks.

Raw numbers:

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/d...&off=0&elect=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 05:46 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
Interesting and hearing that at some precincts in Detroit more votes were cast than ballots given out, in heavily Democratic areas! How is that possible?

Old 12-13-2016, 05:49 PM

809 posts, read 747,558 times
Are you saying that some votes count more than others? I'm more for the concept of one person, one vote It's probably too late for this current election, but let's make the next Presidential election about the National Popular Vote

If the next "trumpster" can dupe the majority to vote for him, well we deserve that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
When you total up all the votes cast in this presidential election, Hillary Clinton wins it by 2 million+. No question about it. I'm not even going to bother bringing up all these unproven claims of voter fraud or conveniently take a state out that would produce my desired result like so many others here are doing. But I got curious and wondered what the totals would be if we only used those votes that actually counted. That is, we only add the votes that actually determined a winner in a given state. For example, we don't count Republican votes in California, and we don't count Democrat votes in Texas, since those votes, in all reality, don't count, have no effect, and are basically dead votes / moot.

I did the math. After adding all the votes, the alternative popular vote count comes to:

Trump: 40,809,583

Clinton: 33,305,545

So if we only use the votes that counted in this election, Trump wins the popular vote quite handily. NO, it doesn't change anything but it's a fun fact for all the data wonks.

Raw numbers:

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/d...&off=0&elect=0

Old 12-13-2016, 06:01 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
I don't really care who purportedly won the popular vote in our electoral college race. Moreover, I'm tired of hearing the 'sour grapes' that Clinton purportedly won the popular vote and should (in some alternate universe) now be President.

That's a lot like saying the person who ran around the hurdles in a high-hurdle race actually won because they got to the finish line faster ... instead of losing because they didn't actually jump over the hurdles.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:10 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Are you saying that some votes count more than others?
I'm not saying it, it's a fact. Hillary Clinton got tens of thousands of votes in Texas, yet none of the electoral votes, because she lost that state. Trump got tens of thousands of votes in California, yet none of the electoral votes, because he lost that state. Same with all other states. Therefore, the only votes that technically count, are the votes that produce the winner in a given state.
Quote:
I'm more for the concept of one person, one vote It's probably too late for this current election, but let's make the next Presidential election about the National Popular Vote
If the next "trumpster" can dupe the majority to vote for him, well we deserve that.
I'm not. The founders were genius in setting up checks and balances and protecting against tyranny of the majority. That is why we are not, never have been, and were not designed to be a people/majority rule government. I'm not interested in telling 46 states that they basically have no say in presidential elections. But alas, discussing this issue further would exceed the scope of this thread.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The founders were genius in ... protecting against tyranny of the majority. That is why we are not, never have been, and were not designed to be a people/majority rule government.
That was a gazillion years ago. I think if the founders were around today, and were told that the majority vote was irrelevant, they'd say "what's wrong with you dude?"

Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
That was a gazillion years ago. I think if the founders were around today, and were told that the majority vote was irrelevant, they'd say "what's wrong with you dude?"
That's exactly why they came up with the electoral college. And it works the way it was designed to work, albeit not to dems liking this time around, dude.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
That's exactly why they came up with the electoral college. And it works the way it was designed to work, albeit not to dems liking this time around, dude.
One person, less one vote - the modern slavery. I'm guessing the flyover states and the breitbart's are so loving this.

But I think the flyover people will be the ultimate trumpian sacrifice.

Bring back coalminer jobs whooo hoooo. Not going to happen. The economics don't support it.

And some in power actually care about our planet's future (my wishful thinking).

Old 12-13-2016, 08:02 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Interesting and hearing that at some precincts in Detroit more votes were cast than ballots given out, in heavily Democratic areas! How is that possible?
Fraud?

Old 12-13-2016, 08:02 PM

26,506 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
They tried to explain it away by saying that 80 something ballot counting machines that all passed inspection and worked fine in the pre-election inspections broke down on election day.....and only in deep blue precincts (in Detroit, Flint, and Lansing) and the precinct staff forgot their training and didn't reset their counters when they had to rerun ballots through the machine multiple times........not realizing that it was actually counting it over and over again.........

It will likely lead to an audit and make it harder for Democrats to cheat in the future.

Thanks Stein! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections