Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:34 PM

32,172 posts, read 15,174,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
"A presidential mandate is not real, but congress sometimes acts as if it is."

I think even HRC would have thumped any of the other lame duck GOP candidates, but Trump thumped her and all of her constituents really soundly.

Landslide schmanslide.

Thank you for your acumen wrt the Trump family. I'm sure Donald Trump is the only President elect ever in history thus far to be besieged by an ego.
I think he is. He's not a politician. He's a billionaire who is bored. So what should he do next...oh yeah, run for the highest office. Donald has always had an ego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 03:42 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,383,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Here are my thoughts on 2020, although nobody can really predict what will happen. First, Trump is a fixer. He sees problems and he fixes them. Google the Wollman Ice Rink for an example. I can see him lowering tax rates which WILL increase jobs & growth, I can see him sealing the border (as best he can) and reducing illegal immigration and I can see him building up the military. If he does just these 3 things, he will be a walk for 2020, but he won't want it. I predict he hands off to Pence or someone else and walks away a hero and back to his really very nice life in New York WITH lifetime free security. He won't get impeached with a Republican congress, that's just dumb. At this point, the Dems have gone too far left to recover in 4 years. The aforementioned Trump accomplishments will keep congress Republican and the Presidency will go to whoever Trump selects.

Then again, he could hit the button on Iran and then all bets are off.

This is a good posting, and this is exactly what could happen. Time tells.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:06 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,458,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
The names I'm hearing the most so far from the Democrats are Elizabeth Warren, Cory Booker, and Kirsten Gillibrand, two women and a black guy. The problem is the Democrats love running on identity politics, and the voters demonstrated this year that they're sick of that. And from what we've seen, black and female Democrats just can't resist playing the victim card, and based on what we've seen from the media since the election, they're not learning the lesson they need to learn from Trump's victory. They are doubling down, constantly blaming Russia and Wikileaks, and just becoming more and more loony
The good thing is that Trump has lots of family members who can follow him into office. Nothing succeeds like success.

So, Donald Trump; 2017 - 2025

Eric Trump; 2025 - 2033

Donald Trump, Jr. 2033 - 2041

Ivanka Trump 2041 - 2049

Baron Trump 2049 - 2057

And then we move on to the Trump grandchildren and great grandchildren....

Old 12-19-2016, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

He has an uphill climb. He's way behind where other presidential candidates were at this point. Plus, he has no idea what he is doing.

"...Nov. 30-Dec. 5 among 1,502 adults, finds that 40% approve of Trump’s cabinet choices and high-level appointments, while 41% approve of the job he has done so far in explaining his policies and plans for the future. In December 2008, 71% of Americans approved of Barack Obama’s cabinet choices, and 58% expressed positive views of George W. Bush’s high-level appointments in January 2001, prior to his inauguration. Similarly, higher shares approved of the way that both Obama (72%) and Bush (50%) explained their policies and plans for the future than say that about Trump today..."

Trump transition approval lower than Bush, Obama | TheHill

Trump's Transition Approval Lower Than Predecessors' | Gallup
Keep underestimating him.

That worked really well for you guys when he said he would run in the primary, and then when he ran in the general.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Exactly! I love watching the Democrats hang themselves in this way. There were many Obama 2012 voters who backed Trump in 2016. There will be many Clinton 2016 voters that vote for Trump 2020.

If you're trying to get someone to join your side/cause/movement, is there a less effective way of doing that than calling them a racist/misogynist/white supremacist/neo-nazi? Can't think of one myself!
That's why I hope and trust that the Democrats will keep doing that.

They just can't help themselves.

So sad (for them) -- but so great at the same time!

Old 12-19-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Trump won the electoral college by 306-232 while losing the national popular vote by 2.1%.

Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections

In terms of the electoral college, the magnitude of Trump's win placed 46th out of 58 elections.
In terms of percentage of popular vote, his margin ranked 47th of the 49 elections where the popular vote was recorded.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...=top-news&_r=0

Now I understand that the masses are inclined to parrot The Master, whether he is telling the truth or lying out of his ***, but it would be advisable to show a little discretion to avoid being a laughing stock.

Bottom line: your guy won. He has as much power as he would have had as if he had won 500 electoral votes and a 17 million vote edge as did St. Ronald.

But a landslide?

Really?
It was a landslide if you discount the votes by illegal aliens and Democrats who cheated.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I am very unsure about her, but watch out for Tulsi Gabbard.

The Bernie people seem to be already moving on to her, and she has a lot of those Obama qualities. This could be the candidate that "comes out of nowhere" and becomes a "star."

She is a female (obviously), of mixed-race, and is a combat veteran.

She is VERY young, but against a 74-year-old Trump, who MIGHT not have a great record to run on, it is possible. She would start with over 200 EC votes, as any state that voted for Hillary is, at this point, truly locked in with the Dems.
They said that about Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania.

Keep playing identity politics -- "female, mixed race" -- it worked for Obama, but it's not going to work anymore.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:19 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,657,019 times
I really find it hard to believe that Trump will do his 4 years. He will probably hand it off to Pence and parade around like he's been doing or won't like being away from his lifestyle after the shine has worn off with this job.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
It's not amazing at all if President Obama and President Clinton would've ran against Trump they would've creamed him.

Even Vice President Joe Biden would've won against the likes of Trump , but it would have taken somebody likable without a whole lot of bagage.
Well, it sucks that it didn't happen, doesn't it?

Better luck next time!

Old 12-19-2016, 04:23 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,657,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
The good thing is that Trump has lots of family members who can follow him into office. Nothing succeeds like success.

So, Donald Trump; 2017 - 2025

Eric Trump; 2025 - 2033

Donald Trump, Jr. 2033 - 2041

Ivanka Trump 2041 - 2049

Baron Trump 2049 - 2057

And then we move on to the Trump grandchildren and great grandchildren....
You must be kidding? You really want a King or dictator not an elected President. Who knows Trump may proclaim he's president for life. Unlikely the Democrats will challenge him......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections