Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 03:37 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,924,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Trump is assembling his cabinet at a rate faster than any other president elect, and his choices are well received by practically everyone....except Dems. Big surprise there.
You also forgot Rand Paul, and any other conservative/libertarian out there who has any principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 03:58 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,817,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewest View Post
A lot depends on the economy in 2020. One thing is for certain. The Democrats have not stopped calling 62 million voters a bunch of racists, white supremists, nazis, etc. It would be unbelievable for them to ask those people to vote for Democrats in 2020 (or 2018, or ever). The divide between the East/Western coastal voters and Fly Over Country voters will continue to grow. If Trump adds Colorado, New Hampshire, and Minnesota to the electoral majority, it will be no contest.
Colorado was close but Minnesota was closer. The fact that Minnesota was closer than Colorado is insane.

It's actually shocking how close Minnesota came to voting for Trump - only 1.5% margin for Hillary. That's insane for a state that narrowly elected Mondale in 1984. Call it the Jesse Ventura effect

Last edited by N610DL; 12-20-2016 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-20-2016, 03:59 PM

14,488 posts, read 6,128,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
You also forgot Rand Paul, and any other conservative/libertarian out there who has any principles.

Paul only had complained about potentially adding John Bolton

Old 12-20-2016, 04:14 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,351,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Colorado was close but Minnesota was closer. The fact that Minnesota was closer than Colorado is insane.

It's actually shocking how close Minnesota came to voting for Trump - only 1.5% margin for Hillary. That's insane for a state that narrowly elected Mondale in 1984. Call it the Jesse Ventura effect
I believe there were really negative Obamacare-related headlines (53% increase) in MN less than a month before election day. Minnesota was actually my sleeper state -- I thought Trump had a better chance in Minnesota than WI/MI/PA. Trump may be able to carry MN in 2020!

Old 12-20-2016, 04:19 PM

9,884 posts, read 11,022,723 times
The incumbent always has an advantage, and you can bet Trump will take every advantage he can.
So, yes, he has a good shot at re-election, if he doesn't screw up too badly.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:19 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,817,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I believe there were really negative Obamacare-related headlines (53% increase) in MN less than a month before election day. Minnesota was actually my sleeper state -- I thought Trump had a better chance in Minnesota than WI/MI/PA. Trump may be able to carry MN in 2020!
There was a source around the August time frame that said MN's Hillary lead was cut in half - apparently it was way more than that!

Old 12-20-2016, 04:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,568,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

Trump is a forgone conclusion to win in 2020

Please visit Trump Campaign Promise Tracker thread.

When there's no improved health care program, when the wall never goes up, when lone wolf terror attacks continue, when the market returns to the Bush 2008 along with unemployment rates return to GOP rates, then you've got to think American will wise-up.

So no, not a forgone conclusion by any means.

Clown Trump may figure he's over his head an not even run again.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:42 PM

4,804 posts, read 2,823,475 times
Default He never looks back

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The incumbent always has a leg up for reelection. Trump has moved a bunch of people over to his side already and he hasn't even been sworn in yet.

With that said, a lot can change and he could lose the re election. I would put his odds of winning in 2020 at 3 to 1 at this point.
I don't expect Trump to actually serve out his term. If he takes the job seriously, I expect he'll have a stroke or some cardiac event, due to overwork, stress, etc. If he doesn't take the job seriously, I expect that Pence will take up the slack, & he will suffer the overwork, stress, etc. Pence may survive, though - he looks fit enough.

I think Trump will simply get bored with the position. If so, he'll likely leave Pence to do the heavy lifting as VP, & just helicopter in from Trump Tower or wherever & sign some stuff, have a photo op, then back to Tweeting in the small hours of the day.

Yah, people voted for Trump - but I don't think they have any better idea of what Trump will do in any given situation than Trump himself does. @ least, if there's a consistent policy underlying all his remarks to date, I don't see it. We'll have to see how he does on policy.

But no, I don't expect Trump to run again, even if he is healthy enough. By then, he'll have been there & done that.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:21 PM

14,488 posts, read 6,128,562 times
videos like this are why liberal democrats will keep failing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBluYsydAVc

Old 12-20-2016, 11:41 PM

27,294 posts, read 15,446,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree. It is too soon. But if Democrats play by the same rules that they've been playing by lately then they'll likely start off at a disadvantage, having done nothing to seriously win back many of the white working class votes that they lost in 2016.

.......and in 2012, 2012 and 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections