Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 11:14 PM

7,539 posts, read 11,385,070 times

Advertisements

Interesting video on how the impact of the Latino vote is playing itself out.

The Myth of the Latino Vote -- Fusion

Old 10-29-2014, 12:52 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,387,069 times
By my rough calculation the Hispanic vote was in fact decisive in the 2012 presidential election. From CNN exit polling Hispanics were about 10 percent of the overall electorate and voted 71-27 for Obama, giving him a roughly 5.5 million vote edge among Hispanics. Obama beat Romney by just under 5 million votes. If the Hispanic vote had just gone 50-50, Romney would have won, but if 60-40 Obama, Obama still would have won.

If the median age of US born Hispanics is 18 (per the OPs link), that number will presumably be going up in coming years, so participation will probably go up too.

Presidential Race - 2012 Election Center - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Old 10-29-2014, 03:23 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,842,754 times
wutitz is the only conservative on here who understands that its paramount for the GOP to get hispanic and black voters.

im amazed at the stupidity of the average conservative who still thinks they can win presidential elections with just a white vote.

clueless about demographics and trends.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:40 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,618,553 times
Statistics seem to be something foreign to most republicans...

Old 10-29-2014, 03:51 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,387,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
wutitz is the only conservative on here who understands that its paramount for the GOP to get hispanic and black voters.

im amazed at the stupidity of the average conservative who still thinks they can win presidential elections with just a white vote.

I don't believe I'm the only conservative on CD who understands this. I could cite many others starting with Janelle, Nita, etc, But more importantly, Reince Priebus understands it.
Reince Priebus gives GOP prescription for future - The Washington Post

Quote:
The $10 million outreach effort to includes hiring national political directors for Hispanic, Asian-Pacific and African American voters and elevating minorities within the party. "We've done a real lousy job sometimes of bragging about the success that we've had" with minorities, in particular Hispanic candidates, Priebus said. To target African Americans, he plans to launch a pilot project in 2013 mayoral races aimed at identifying and turning out potential supporters in urban areas.
I have not donated to the RNC in a couple decades, but I am now because of Priebus.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:56 AM

63,031 posts, read 29,235,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post

The question is how does the GOP garner more of the Hispanic vote? You know as well as I do that they would have to cave into their amnesty demands and that is not in the best interests of this country.

Not clueless at all about our demographic trends. It is mostly due illegal immigration in the Hispanic community and that is neither lawful nor natural.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 AM

1,438 posts, read 781,113 times
Republicans used to say they could get the Hispanic vote by appealing to their social conservatism due to their Catholic background. However some studies have showed they are just as accepting of abortion and gay marriage (especially the longer they have been here) as non-Hispanic Americans so that may not work.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:51 AM

7,539 posts, read 11,385,070 times
The thing is the Latino vote seems to be a general vote. Outside of the immigration issue(and bilingual education) I don't know if there is anything in particular that necessarily unites Latino voters across the various nationalities that make up Latinos. Even immigration is a different issue for different Latinos. Immigration for Puert Ricans is different than what it is for Mexicans because both groups have different situations when it comes to immigration. So it will be interesting to see how the Latino vote is viewed once immigration reform is settled.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:56 AM

63,031 posts, read 29,235,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
The thing is the Latino vote seems to be a general vote. Outside of the immigration issue I don't know if there is anything in particular that necessarily unites Latino voters across the various nationalities that make up Latinos. Even immigration is a different issue for different Latinos. Immigration for Puert Ricans is different than what it is for Mexicans because both groups have different situations when it comes to immigration. So it will be interesting to see how the Latino vote is viewed once immigration reform is settled.
There is no "reform". It's amnesty and I don't think either party wants to commit political suicide by granting amnesty to 11 million plus illegal aliens. Most Latinos from south of our border desire this and they mainly vote Democrat.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:20 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,909,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Interesting video on how the impact of the Latino vote is playing itself out.

The Myth of the Latino Vote -- Fusion

I look forward to the day when we quit lumping all people from Central, South America, and Spanish-speaking Caribbean countries into the same demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.