Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 08:32 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Wow - if you do not count CA and NY, Trump was ahead by 3 million in popular vote. Meanwhile, those two states put HRC ahead by 2.8 million! I guess the electoral college really does its job.

Final tally shows Trump lost popular vote by 2.8 million | Daily Mail Online
I don't understand such reasoning. Why pick out two, and only two, states that went for Ms. Clinton? Why aren't you saying "don't count Texas and Alabama" for Mr. Trump?

In every presidential election the popular vote is reached via counting all states, with no subtraction. In 2012 President Obama won the popular vote by 5 million votes. I don't recall people saying "Ah, but if you subtract California (3 million votes) and New York (2 million votes) then it was very close for Mr. Romney!"

To use the young people's vernacular, 'it is what it is'. Mr. Trump lost the popular vote, but, more importantly, he won the electoral vote. I know that it ruffles his feathers that he did not win the popular vote, but his supporters should simply accept that fact and move on.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:35 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,981,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I don't understand such reasoning. Why pick out two, and only two, states that went for Ms. Clinton? Why aren't you saying "don't count Texas and Alabama" for Mr. Trump?

In every presidential election the popular vote is reached via counting all states, with no subtraction. In 2012 President Obama won the popular vote by 5 million votes. I don't recall people saying "Ah, but if you subtract California (3 million votes) and New York (2 million votes) then it was very close for Mr. Romney!"

To use the young people's vernacular, 'it is what it is'. Mr. Trump lost the popular vote, but, more importantly, he won the electoral vote. I know that it ruffles his feathers that he did not win the popular vote, but his supporters should simply accept that fact and move on.
FYI: Mr. Trump did not write the article.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:41 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
New York City (which she won by 1.6 million) will never go red again, I believe. Trump won most of the rest of the state.
Never say never. From 1896 to 1928, the Republicans won New York in all but one presidential election. They won NY in 1948, 1952 and 1956 as well. Clearly it was very GOP friendly. California went red in every election from 1952 to 1988 with only one exception. Meanwhile, the South that presently always goes red used to always go blue 100% of the time prior to 1960.

Things change. The only certainty about change is uncertainty.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:56 AM

1,184 posts, read 721,101 times
It's really just New York City and LA and other large cities...if you take out the counties and cities, trump won even larger. The popular vote and illegals are there not the Russians lol

Old 12-21-2016, 08:57 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times
How's that California succession thing going????

Old 12-21-2016, 09:02 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

The emphasis on where Hillary's popular vote margin came from is in reaction to the emphasis she and her supporters place on her winning the popular vote. They keep beefing over his 'legitimacy,' aren't moving on, and ignore that the campaign was to win electoral college votes, not the popular vote. I think it's fair to point out that her pv 'win' came from 4 boroughs of NYC and parts of CA, not a national pattern.

Last edited by jazzarama; 12-21-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 09:08 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,308,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog9 View Post
It's really just New York City and LA and other large cities...if you take out the counties and cities, trump won even larger. The popular vote and illegals are there not the Russians lol
Yes indeed...is not "California and NY" that put her over the top in the popular vote but just a handful of counties.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:08 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog9 View Post
True. If you take out most of the voters, the election results are quite likely to be different. Duh.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:10 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,960,888 times
I wish Gary Johnson would sue NY and California to force them to do recounts. I am sure quite a lot of voter fraud would be uncovered if a thorough investigation were done. In California, I'm confident hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants voted, if not millions.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:14 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
New York City (which she won by 1.6 million) will never go red again, I believe. Trump won most of the rest of the state.
Not really. Clinton won the urban areas, which, oddly enough, contain a majority of the voters.

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/new-york
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections