Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 04:40 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,900,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Mind baffling really. Especially with interest rates going up...
Not really, a lot of very wealthy people and companies expecting to get even more wealthy. Which is likely to be the case. Middle class people .... errr, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 05:04 AM

451 posts, read 237,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Do the math:

Percentage increase of DJIA/SP500 from Jan 2008 to Nov 2016

Percentage increase DJIA/SP500 from 8 Nov to Present

Surprised?

Not me.

Thanks Obama.

LOL! Why don't admit that when Obuma took over the DOW was at 6600 (MArch 2009) so obviously ( at least to those with any intelligence) the stock market had nowhere to go but up! If Goofy had been elected in 2008, the result would have been the same. This country was coming out of the real estate bubble issues.

I thought that would have been obvious .... for most intelligent people anyway.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:15 AM

451 posts, read 237,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Not really, a lot of very wealthy people and companies expecting to get even more wealthy. Which is likely to be the case. Middle class people .... errr, not so much.

This is such a fallacy....and it is truly sad that so many people buy into this way of thinking.

The Global stock market is one of the few ways that middle class America can acquire a moderate amount of wealth. I know because over the years my wife and I have done so. We invested all of our IRA money and a large percentage of our taxable accounts into the US and International MArkets ( About 80% US and 20% International). Today we have a portfolio worth close to $5million.

The Dow was at 980 when I started working in JAn. 1981. Today it is close to 20,000.

Show me ANY other asset class that has had a 20 times increase in value in the past 35 years outside of pockets of real estate in MAnhattan or Beverly Hills.
Not real estate, not commodities, precious metals, etc.

I know many who sold off when the Dow was at 6600....at the bottom of the market and they stayed all cash. Dumbest thing they could have done. They would have made back everything and another 25% today if they had even bought at the top of the market in the summer of 2008 when the DOW was at 14,000. You have to be in the market long term.....long term means a lifetime and then take a SWR (safe withdrawal rate) while rebalancing your portfolio to maintaining a proper AA (asset allocation) of stocks to fixed income based on your age and risk tolerance. It really is that simple.

It is not rocket science. Most people with a little bit of effort can do it themselves. Stay away from financial planners and start early. Early means your 20's.... not your 50's. It works. I know.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:49 AM

23,326 posts, read 29,200,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatandFlat View Post
Trump recently said: "Folks, the Stock Market is one giant Bubble". "I never was much for the stock market, and the little I have I'm selling"
The stock market is nothing more than a fickle phenomena. It can use any excuse for it to rise or fall, and it's all a matter of bringing as many suckers on board, and when there's enough suckers to drown, the big holders decide to all sell on the flimsiest of reasons.

Alan Greenspan, one-time chief Economist, was always puzzled as to the rises and falls of the stock market, always completely unpredictable.

He saw no reason for that 500+ crash in 1987, and he saw no reason for the rise in the market in the late 90's.

Fickle, fickle, fickle!

Trump Stock Market? A sucker's Market!

There's absolutely no reason for the Dow to be up over 1500!

Old 12-22-2016, 06:11 AM

5,730 posts, read 2,206,740 times
I still feel we are in for a major correction as stocks are becoming overvalued but if trump can get the big players to bring back the overseas cash and reduce regulations who knows how high it could go.

I bought before the election when we were around 17,500, my plan is to be patient the next year or two to find my next buying point

Old 12-22-2016, 08:49 AM

5,902 posts, read 3,923,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dirty87 View Post
Are you serious?

You want me to pull up all the threads started by Dems the last 8 yrs where they blamed Bush? I can't tell is you are actually serious.

REALLY?!?
Yes. Just one please. Surely you can find at least one?

Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 AM

11,986 posts, read 5,323,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Finally got a president who knows what's best for American people. Hail Trump
Didn't you mean "Heil Trump?"

Old 12-22-2016, 09:01 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,412,901 times
What does *Yuge* mean?
The stock market is unpredictable every moment no matter what the specific dynamics are. Sometimes you get lucky and have a *Huge* return, other times you don't. It is the nature of the stock market, nothing more.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:02 AM

16,955 posts, read 16,808,684 times
EVERYTHING About Donald Trump is Solid Gold!!! He is doing everything he promised he would and MORE!

If you did not vote for him, don't you wish you had now?... so you could have gotten on board the Winning Train!

That's okay. You can vote for OUR HERO in 2020.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:42 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,247,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
It's still under Obama's watch.
It's the Trump Effect. Obama hasn't done anything to spark this rally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections