Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:44 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Do the math:

Percentage increase of DJIA/SP500 from Jan 2008 to Nov 2016

Percentage increase DJIA/SP500 from 8 Nov to Present

Surprised?

Not me.

Thanks Obama.

Dumbest comparison ever.

Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 11:56 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What does *Yuge* mean?
It means YUGE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwDiPrFCM0M

#MAGA

Old 12-23-2016, 08:52 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Mark me down as "no". I am not going to use the markets to keep score. Anything can happen.

These are what I will use to keep score:

Did Trump get us jobs back? And not just a few, a lot.

Did Trump keep his promise about illegal immigration?

Did Trump do everything that he could to keep this country safe? Bearing in mind, we could already have silent homegrowns just waiting.

Under a Trump presidency, will we have better health care plans?

Under a Trump presidency, will we get rid of NAFTA and TPP?

Under a Trump presidency, will we fix the Social Security problem?

Under a Trump presidency, will the overbloat of people on welfare go back to working and paying their own way?

If he fails to do at least 3 of those, I will vote him out next election.

I predict that the following WILL happen:
* Trump will generally keep his promises about cracking down on illegal immigration.
* Trump will do everything in his power to keep the country safe. Radical Islamic Terrorism will be called Radical Islamic Terrorism.
* NAFTA and TPP will either be gone or will be renegotiated, and companies that send jobs to foreign countries will be dealt with harshly.

I think it's POSSIBLE that the following could happen:
* Social Security gets reformed.
* Welfare will be reformed again.

I'm not as optimistic on:
* Jobs coming back. I think Trump can stop the bleeding of jobs going elsewhere. I'm not sure he can get them back.
* Healthcare. Obamacare will be repealed, but I don't know if there is a much better solution to out of control costs.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:54 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
#MAGA.

Winning.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The stock market is nothing more than a fickle phenomena. It can use any excuse for it to rise or fall, and it's all a matter of bringing as many suckers on board, and when there's enough suckers to drown, the big holders decide to all sell on the flimsiest of reasons.

Alan Greenspan, one-time chief Economist, was always puzzled as to the rises and falls of the stock market, always completely unpredictable.

He saw no reason for that 500+ crash in 1987, and he saw no reason for the rise in the market in the late 90's.

Fickle, fickle, fickle!

Trump Stock Market? A sucker's Market!

There's absolutely no reason for the Dow to be up over 1500!
Obviously someone disagrees with you otherwise the market would not have moved.
So who do you think is right? YOU, or the people and companies who do this for a living?

Old 12-23-2016, 09:24 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Hmm. So some people predicted the stock market would tank if Donald John Trump were elected President of the United States. Odd, I have never known stock market pundits to be wrong.

I am, of course, gratified that the market has not crashed. Of course, if it did, many would, no doubt, blame President Obama, since he is the sitting president.

Regardless, the word 'rally' seems like it would be incorrect. We have been in a 'bull market' for some six years. The market has seen a steady rise, with, of course, the usual peaks and valleys. A 'rally' indicates that it had been a 'bear' market, and that the market is 'rallying' from such.

It is akin to a football team being ahead of the opponent by a score of 50 to 7 at halftime. If the winning team then proceeds to add more points in the second half, say to 72-7, one does not speak of the winning team as having 'rallied' in the second half.

As an aside, it was back in the Nixon Administration that the Dow Jones broke the 1,000 barrier. While in college in the mid 1970s a book came out predicting that the market would reach 10,000 in the years to come (which people thought was crazy). Alas, it was not until 1987 that the market broke the 2,000 barrier, with 10,000 being reached in 1999 (not from memory: see the link):

http://www.money-zine.com/investing/...ry-of-the-dow/

Under Obama the market has broken five barriers (15, 16, 17, 18 and 19,000), which appears to be the most of any president. If 20,000 is broken soon, as it may well, it will be six.

Of course, one must hesitate to assign much credit to Obama, or any sitting president, concerning the stock market. I do feel like the investors felt that things were going well under Obama, hence the bull market. Of course, if Mr. Obama had started his presidency talking about a new nuclear race, of tariffs, etc., the situation may not have been as rosy.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:27 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Obviously someone disagrees with you otherwise the market would not have moved.
So who do you think is right? YOU, or the people and companies who do this for a living?
And how many of these companies went belly-up or got taken over during the crash of '08? Remember Lehman Bros.? Merrill Lynch?

Old 12-23-2016, 09:50 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dirty87 View Post
Just like you and your ilk did to Bush every day for the last 8 yrs

What comes around goes around sweatpea
Something you'll likely be reminded of often over the next 4 years.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
And how many of these companies went belly-up or got taken over during the crash of '08? Remember Lehman Bros.? Merrill Lynch?
Fair point.
And we could be in a complete bubble right now.
But my point is also valid -- the market is up this much for a reason --- namely that traders probably see a loosening of some regulations under a Trump presidency.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:28 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Funny though that when the same was said over any major rally under Obama you same people said that the President had nothing to do with changes in the market, and that it was cyclical. This current rally began before he was elected as well, another point that some of you are ignoring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections