Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:51 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,258,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
"The people hit the hardest are a lot of the demographics that went heavily for Trump."

"Others who didn't take Trump literally may soon face the same dilemma. The Urban Institute estimated this month that under the partial repeal plan previously passed by Republicans in Congress, 30?million people would lose insurance, 82 percent of them would be in working families and 56 percent would be white. Among adults who would lose insurance, 80 percent don't have college degrees..."

"Many of the functions that would necessarily face the ax under Trump's promises — job training, education, child-care assistance and the like — benefit groups that were Trump's strongest supporters. The cuts would disproportionately hurt red states in the South, mountains and plains that receive far more in federal spending than they pay in taxes...

"Such actions, undertaken by Trump and his Cabinet of billionaires, bankers and business tycoons, could cause some of those working-class Trump supporters to regret that they didn't take Trump's campaign utterances literally."

—Dana Millbank column, Salt Lake Tribune

Policies like those promising to come out of Trump's Cabinet don't look too good for the working class.
All that poorer Trump voters could see was the wall (and promise of mfg jobs which will probably never return in real numbers). The wall will probably never get built but that will be overlooked by supporters.

Our expert Overlords predicted Brexit wouldn't happen (it did), that Hillary would win in a landslide (she didn't), and that the market would crash if Trump were elected (it didn't), what makes you think our expert Overlords are right this time?

Old 12-21-2016, 11:01 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,931,155 times
Quote:
We haven't even got started yet.

These problems will take months or a few years to manifest.

Those on this thread won't care, b/c they are posters who are well-off enough not to need help with insurance and they are either on trust funds, making a boatload of money, or more than comfortably retired.

I do feel sorry for the 80% or more who are on the poorer side (including middle class whose jobs are always vulnerable), who bought into the immigration frenzy and before long will know what the reality is for them and their families.

Not just me saying it. Even some Trump supporters are waking up to reality. Look at the cabinet members and what they believe/stand for and are dying to put into policy. These are not predictions, they're pretty good odds.
Within a few short months you will have a picture of Trump hanging over you bed and all of these ridiculous thoughts will be flushed from your brain-washed little noggin..
There may still be hope for you, but you need to work at being smarter.. Educate yourself, think for yourself... you can do it if you try..
It must get old having people laugh at you and your insane notions.. Help is on the way...

Old 12-22-2016, 06:02 AM

6,625 posts, read 5,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They called the election correctly. Your point?
It was a 50/50 call, they were rallying the troops they would have called it for Trump regardless.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:27 AM

17,571 posts, read 9,361,388 times
Quote:
"The people hit the hardest are a lot of the demographics that went heavily for Trump."

"Others who didn't take Trump literally may soon face the same dilemma. The Urban Institute estimated this month that under the partial repeal plan previously passed by Republicans in Congress, 30?million people would lose insurance, 82 percent of them would be in working families and 56 percent would be white. Among adults who would lose insurance, 80 percent don't have college degrees..."

"Many of the functions that would necessarily face the ax under Trump's promises — job training, education, child-care assistance and the like — benefit groups that were Trump's strongest supporters. The cuts would disproportionately hurt red states in the South, mountains and plains that receive far more in federal spending than they pay in taxes...

"Such actions, undertaken by Trump and his Cabinet of billionaires, bankers and business tycoons, could cause some of those working-class Trump supporters to regret that they didn't take Trump's campaign utterances literally."

—Dana Millbank column, Salt Lake Tribune

Policies like those promising to come out of Trump's Cabinet don't look too good for the working class.
All that poorer Trump voters could see was the wall (and promise of mfg jobs which will probably never return in real numbers). The wall will probably never get built but that will be overlooked by supporters.
That would be the Dana Millbank that writes for the Washington Post - the same Dana Millbank that went to the DNC for info on his Anti-Trump columns. You can trust every word he writes - it doesn't get more "non-partisan" than Dana Millbank .. possible exception Michael Moore.

WikiLeaks Show Washington Post Writer Asked DNC For Anti-Trump Research |Daily Caller

Research from the Urban Institute ? That would be the same Urban Institute that gets 54% (In the age of Obama) of it's Funding through Federal Grants and is #11 on the Leftist Liberal List of Think Tanks - sits right between the NAACP & PETA. . I'm sure they have no Agenda to Push.

A 2005 study of media bias in The Quarterly Journal of Economics ranked UI as the 11th most liberal of the 50 most-cited think tanks and policy groups, placing it between the NAACP and the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals. According to a study by U.S. News & World Report most political campaign donations by Urban Institute employees go to Democratic politicians. Between 2003 and 2010, Urban Institute employees' made $79,529 in political contributions, of which 0.00% went to the Republican Party.

Perhaps we could wait and see what type of Legislation actually appears instead of guessing based on Leftist Hit Pieces ..... Just a thought.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:50 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,234,312 times
I'm not sure if they voted Republican for the promise of returning manufacturing jobs so much as they wanted to send a big eff you to liberals and "SJWs" and "cucks" and those damn coastal elitist snobs. Joe Sixpack was sick and tired of the "pussification" of 'Murica!

Oh, and let's not forget that Killary was going to take away their guns, oh, wait, wasn't Obummer supposed to do that in 2009?

And then there's the "War on Christmas". Killary was going to make it illegal to say "Merry Christmas", don't you know?

Frankly, I hope Trump screws the Trump Humpers over bigly. But even if he does, Fox News and Rush Limbaugh will convince them that it's all Obummer's and Killary's fault. Conservatism has become like a religious cult, and I doubt that its believers will ever wake up to reality.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,029,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
That would be the Dana Millbank that writes for the Washington Post - the same Dana Millbank that went to the DNC for info on his Anti-Trump columns. You can trust every word he writes - it doesn't get more "non-partisan" than Dana Millbank .. possible exception Michael Moore.

WikiLeaks Show Washington Post Writer Asked DNC For Anti-Trump Research |Daily Caller

Research from the Urban Institute ? That would be the same Urban Institute that gets 54% (In the age of Obama) of it's Funding through Federal Grants and is #11 on the Leftist Liberal List of Think Tanks - sits right between the NAACP & PETA. . I'm sure they have no Agenda to Push.

A 2005 study of media bias in The Quarterly Journal of Economics ranked UI as the 11th most liberal of the 50 most-cited think tanks and policy groups, placing it between the NAACP and the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals. According to a study by U.S. News & World Report most political campaign donations by Urban Institute employees go to Democratic politicians. Between 2003 and 2010, Urban Institute employees' made $79,529 in political contributions, of which 0.00% went to the Republican Party.

Perhaps we could wait and see what type of Legislation actually appears instead of guessing based on Leftist Hit Pieces ..... Just a thought.
Left, right, left right. One or the other. WTH.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:03 AM

16,234 posts, read 5,916,896 times
The working class is always hit hardest regardless of who wins.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,629,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I'm not sure if they voted Republican for the promise of returning manufacturing jobs so much as they wanted to send a big eff you to liberals and "SJWs" and "cucks" and those damn coastal elitist snobs. Joe Sixpack was sick and tired of the "pussification" of 'Murica!

Oh, and let's not forget that Killary was going to take away their guns, oh, wait, wasn't Obummer supposed to do that in 2009?

And then there's the "War on Christmas". Killary was going to make it illegal to say "Merry Christmas", don't you know?

Frankly, I hope Trump screws the Trump Humpers over bigly. But even if he does, Fox News and Rush Limbaugh will convince them that it's all Obummer's and Killary's fault. Conservatism has become like a religious cult, and I doubt that its believers will ever wake up to reality.

Best post in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The working class is always hit hardest regardless of who wins.
Some truth to this.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:54 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,566,683 times
Quote:
We haven't even got started yet.

These problems will take months or a few years to manifest.

Those on this thread won't care, b/c they are posters who are well-off enough not to need help with insurance and they are either on trust funds, making a boatload of money, or more than comfortably retired.

I do feel sorry for the 80% or more who are on the poorer side (including middle class whose jobs are always vulnerable), who bought into the immigration frenzy and before long will know what the reality is for them and their families.

Not just me saying it. Even some Trump supporters are waking up to reality. Look at the cabinet members and what they believe/stand for and are dying to put into policy. These are not predictions, they're pretty good odds.

The growing housing shortage (The Rent Is Too Damn High) has been percolating for awhile, and will become more pressing for more people than those other issues which will take months or years to manifest.

Since Trump, Carson, and Congress can be expected to do NOTHING to resolve the shortage or its resulting lack of affordability, I expect this issue to the the first to derail the new administration.

I voted for him and I'm already eager to join the protests.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,029,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The growing housing shortage (The Rent Is Too Damn High) has been percolating for awhile, and will become more pressing for more people than those other issues which will take months or years to manifest.

Since Trump, Carson, and Congress can be expected to do NOTHING to resolve the shortage or its resulting lack of affordability, I expect this issue to the the first to derail the new administration.

I voted for him and I'm already eager to join the protests.
Anyone who depends on rent assistance handed down through federal law had better make new plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections