Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 09:05 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,583,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Trump et al does not get that, at all. Job training programs will be cut. The people trapped in mill towns and small communities all over the country with little to no updated education are going to fall to the needs of human services, of which there will be little, according to election rhetoric. The great divide between rich and poor, already to huge, will be more so.
Everything to Trump is "huge."

Old 12-24-2016, 09:29 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,874,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Everything to Trump is "huge."
Especially his lies. It's pitiful that poor people will once again be taken advantage of. Trump can't deliver on his promises to them--and he doesn't care either.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:30 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,566,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Perhaps you were living beyond your means, in a neighborhood that you couldn't afford.

I find it hard to believe that your situation had anything to do with Reagan policies. It probably had more to do with bad choices on your part. Why didn't you buy a house? Back in those days (and I know this from my own experience) one could by a house and the mortgage payments would be less than rent, including taxes and insurance. That was our experience when we moved away from the beach (La Jolla) inland to a brand new tract home. Besides, when Reagan was president my wife and I each continued to get raises and promotions. If your remaining in the same job year after year, your not working hard enough to improve your life.

As for "welfare," it isn't intended to be "forever." It is only supposed to help people get back on their feet. It should be reduced as your income increases.

I was earning slightly above minimum wage and buying a home was not an option since there was no way I would have qualified for a mortgage. I was living like a poor student in a poor student neighborhood - I stayed in the same neighborhood in which I had lived while I was a student. It was in 1982 I realized that the poor students of the 1970s had been replaced largely with UMC students and apparently landlords also realized this because they took full advantage of the higher-income students.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
from the same clowns who projected HRC landslides.

LOL!

Best thing for working class = FULL_TIME jobs.

ACA created the 29ers, folks kept under 30 hours to avoid being in employer calculation requiring Health Care offerings.

Ask 800 Carrier families saved how they feel about DT.

Sounds like a great phone number to have.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:33 PM

34,232 posts, read 17,318,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I was earning slightly above minimum wage and buying a home was not an option since there was no way I would have qualified for a mortgage. I was living like a poor student in a poor student neighborhood - I stayed in the same neighborhood in which I had lived while I was a student. It was in 1982 I realized that the poor students of the 1970s had been replaced largely with UMC students and apparently landlords also realized this because they took full advantage of the higher-income students.

34 years have passed. Plenty of time for progress beyond that slightly above MW job.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
You've done poorly under GOP and Democratic POTUS.

Look in the mirror. Change your ways. Stop being your own worst enemy.

There is no economy under which unskilled workers prosper in the absence of labor unions..

Old 12-24-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
34 years have passed. Plenty of time for progress beyond that slightly above MW job.

Unskilled workers don't have a well-defined promotion path.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Unskilled workers don't have a well-defined promotion path.

They have the same path all of us do when at 17 one is unskilled. Gain skills, via formal education or formal training. It isn't about becoming the fry chief at McD's or selling junk via amazon from ones rented bedroom. Its a bigger, longer term plan. Might have to reset it a few times to get it correct, but 34 years allows plenty of time to do that.

I was working retail at 17, but knew college and professional jobs were my future. Not becoming the shoe dept manager of a retail store at 24.

Do yourself a favor. Make year 35 better. Critically examine your missteps over the prior decades.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:52 PM

32,263 posts, read 15,221,203 times
Quote:
from the same clowns who projected HRC landslides.

LOL!

Best thing for working class = FULL_TIME jobs.

ACA created the 29ers, folks kept under 30 hours to avoid being in employer calculation requiring Health Care offerings.

Ask 800 Carrier families saved how they feel about DT.
What full time jobs will the working class see. Can you name any. How about all the working class in west va who are extremely poor because the coal mining industry is no more. How are they going to get full time jobs. And Carrier was a joke. Trump took credit for 800 jobs, big deal. They are still going to send more than 1000 jobs overseas or to mexico. Ask the Carrier families who are losing their jobs how they feel about Trump. Just a PR stunt so Trump gets his accolades.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What full time jobs will the working class see. Can you name any. How about all the working class in west va who are extremely poor because the coal mining industry is no more. How are they going to get full time jobs. And Carrier was a joke. Trump took credit for 800 jobs, big deal. They are still going to send more than 1000 jobs overseas or to mexico. Ask the Carrier families who are losing their jobs how they feel about Trump. Just a PR stunt so Trump gets his accolades.

800 jobs is no joke. This will also stop huge corps with major DOD contracts from considering off-shoring.

UTC alone, w/o this deal, would likely have moved dozens of times this many jobs offshore. They won't now, not because Indiana gave them a token $7 mill, but because DT no doubt made them feel their billions in DOD contracts were at risk. (UTC owns Carrier)

That is called using leverage in the business world. Tremendous signal, and this will alter many future business plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections