Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 10:15 PM

32,260 posts, read 15,221,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
800 jobs is no joke. This will also stop huge corps with major DOD contracts from considering off-shoring.

UTC alone, w/o this deal, would likely have moved dozens of times this many jobs offshore. They won't now, not because Indiana gave them a token $7 mill, but because DT no doubt made them feel their billions in DOD contracts were at risk. (UTC owns Carrier)

That is called using leverage in the business world. Tremendous signal, and this will alter many future business plans.
800 jobs is a joke when we are losing millions. Carrier is sending the rest of their jobs overseas or to mexico so what are you talking about. This won't stop jobs going overseas where labor is cheaper. There is no penalty for them do to that. No this is called Trump trying to be a bully and companies calling him out on it. LOL Sorry, some see right through Trump and won't play his games. And his business skills are dubious since many of his businesses went bankrupt

Old 12-24-2016, 10:19 PM

34,229 posts, read 17,318,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
800 jobs is a joke when we are losing millions. Carrier is sending the rest of their jobs overseas or to mexico so what are you talking about. This won't stop jobs going overseas where labor is cheaper. There is no penalty for them do to that. No this is called Trump trying to be a bully and companies calling him out on it. LOL Sorry, some see right through Trump and won't play his games. And his business skills are dubious since many of his businesses went bankrupt

Wrong again, as always. Carrier in this case had already invested in Mexico and yes some jobs were going. But big picture, this stops other UTC offshoring plans in their tracks. UTC is huge, and Carrier is simply the tip of the iceberg.

This sent a shot across the bow at ALL corps with DOD billions at stake. That's the penalty, which was no doubt implied. If you insist you can export jobs, we, the US gov't, can stop awarding DOD contracts to your sister companies. There is no right on those corps part to expect to be awarded DOD contracts.

I can tell you missed the big picture. Carrier did not capitulate. UTC did.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:33 PM

32,260 posts, read 15,221,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Wrong again, as always. Carrier in this case had already invested in Mexico and yes some jobs were going. But big picture, this stops other UTC offshoring plans in their tracks. UTC is huge, and Carrier is simply the tip of the iceberg.

This sent a shot across the bow at ALL corps with DOD billions at stake. That's the penalty, which was no doubt implied. If you insist you can export jobs, we, the US gov't, can stop awarding DOD contracts to your sister companies. There is no right on those corps part to expect to be awarded DOD contracts.

I can tell you missed the big picture. Carrier did not capitulate. UTC did.
What has stopped them? The only reason these 800 jobs were saved because of the huge incentives Trump and Indiana gave them. But he can't do that for every single company who wants to leave. If Trump really wants to make an impact, and help the middle class he would bring jobs back to the US.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:16 AM

34,289 posts, read 19,459,341 times
Quote:
What has stopped them? The only reason these 800 jobs were saved because of the huge incentives Trump and Indiana gave them. But he can't do that for every single company who wants to leave. If Trump really wants to make an impact, and help the middle class he would bring jobs back to the US.
You missed the additional part where Carrier is bringing in automation at the local plant using the tax money they are saving. IE not only did we pay them to keep those jobs here, one of the conditions of it will eventually eliminate most of those jobs.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:21 AM

12,047 posts, read 5,942,675 times
Quote:
It's clear - you never liked Trump and only troll here tearing him down. Who exactly did you want for President? Whose fault is it the coal miners don't have their jobs anymore? Who was it that said she would put the coal miners out of work?

Really sick of your rants when it was the Dems that signed NAFTA and most other trade policies that have put so many out of work here in the US. Do something to change the situation instead of b***ching about it all the time - you're all mouth and no action. All you know how to do is complain and that's why I put you on ignore a long time ago.

The man isn't even in office and has done more than any other President elect before the inauguration.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:44 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,381,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Unskilled workers don't have a well-defined promotion path.
In any job, one can learn new skills and receive promotions. It depends on how much you want to apply yourself.

In my case, I began as a technician in what we called the "Customer Service" department, which was really filling Sales Orders and modifying equipment to meet customers needs. The only skill I had at the time I started was the electronics I had learned while in the Navy, and technical school.

In a short period of time, I moved into the field service department. There I needed other skills, because we interacted directly with customers (I traveled), and I'm talking BIG customers, like ODECO (Offshore Drilling and Exploration Company), and others like them. This required skills that anyone can develop on their own, because it only requires relationship skills, and a good knowledge of your own product and understanding the customers needs.

I learned a lot about business, including sales, shipping, receiving, quality control, and even accounting and data control, because we had to write requisitions, we were accountable for the costs that went into a job, as well as other aspects of the business, like getting an order invoiced and into shipping. i knew none of these things before. I learned because I had to do these things. In other words, my job became an education.

Because of this, I later was asked to join the Marketing Department, and became Sales Administration Supervisor. There, I learned about Letters of Credit (a payment instrument) and other aspects of international sales.

All of this helped me land my next job, after we had a layoff at that company, and I found myself unemployed for a couple of months. I landed a job, again as Sales Administration Supervisor, at a division of Scientific Atlanta, where I had seven ladies working under me in the Sales Department.

After Scientific Atlanta closed that plant and rolled the product line into another similar line at another division, I got a job (even before I had left) as an Applications Engineer, at Sub Sea Systems, Inc. in Escondido, CA, which was a direct sales position, and more travel was required.

That's how it works if you have no formal education. You learn and advance on the job. But you must apply yourself, and show the boss you are ready for advancement.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 12-25-2016 at 04:57 AM..

Old 12-25-2016, 06:12 AM

23,706 posts, read 17,381,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
"The people hit the hardest are a lot of the demographics that went heavily for Trump."

"Others who didn't take Trump literally may soon face the same dilemma. The Urban Institute estimated this month that under the partial repeal plan previously passed by Republicans in Congress, 30?million people would lose insurance, 82 percent of them would be in working families and 56 percent would be white. Among adults who would lose insurance, 80 percent don't have college degrees..."

"Many of the functions that would necessarily face the ax under Trump's promises — job training, education, child-care assistance and the like — benefit groups that were Trump's strongest supporters. The cuts would disproportionately hurt red states in the South, mountains and plains that receive far more in federal spending than they pay in taxes...

"Such actions, undertaken by Trump and his Cabinet of billionaires, bankers and business tycoons, could cause some of those working-class Trump supporters to regret that they didn't take Trump's campaign utterances literally."

—Dana Millbank column, Salt Lake Tribune

Policies like those promising to come out of Trump's Cabinet don't look too good for the working class.
All that poorer Trump voters could see was the wall (and promise of mfg jobs which will probably never return in real numbers). The wall will probably never get built but that will be overlooked by supporters.
More fear mongering by the dems..... the rich vs poor, the working class will suffer, people will lose insurance and most of them will be non college whites.....

Obama suffocated our economy, an economy so large that it would recover on its own. Like the earth and its heating and cooling cycles so is our economy. It takes a good propaganda machine to suggest there is a cause and effect relationship between obama and the 'economy he saved'.

Predictions by the same people who turned our economy into a swamp

"Others who didn't take obama literally".....

The dems heard obama say, energy prices would skyrocket under his 'energy plan'. then his energy czar told us gasoline price would need to rise to the level of europe's prices.....and the dems voted obama.

'each family would save 2,500$$ with obamacare'

'you can keep your doctor PERIOD!'

'solyndra was a good investment' of a 500 million dollar taxpayer loss...and that was just one of many losses of money laundered on solar companies.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:08 AM

34,229 posts, read 17,318,096 times
Quote:

They stopped over UTC's DOD business. They rejected the same deal they took from Indiana a few months prior. At that time, DOD contracts for parent corp UTC were safe.

BTW, the incentives were small, just 10k a job, when commonly corps get 100-300k per job saved.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:29 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,354,943 times
Quote:

That's what the media want you to think, the working class poor didn't VOTE for Trump, they don't VOTE!

Old 12-25-2016, 07:39 AM

39,178 posts, read 51,494,558 times
There is a phenomenon going on in US politics where people are voting for rhetoric and emotional sales pitches based on divisive positing rather than issues. Relatively wealthy, educated, white people are voting democrat while working class people are voting GOP. I was watching the 1954 movie of White Christmas the other night and there was a comment to the effect that snow in Florida was as rare as a Democrat in Vermont! What a change in 60 years! It's even more remarkable when you consider that the core party ideologies are pretty much the same as they were 60 years ago - the GOP favors policies for the wealthy, the Dems for the working class. Voters are just out of sync.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections