Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:50 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,557,061 times

Advertisements

I think the one thing above all esle about politics that bothers me are all the sheep. As this board cleary demonstrates, liberals view all liberal politicians as gods and conservatives the same for their people. Anyone who opposses their gods is an evil satan, worthy only of death.

From all I read and all I can discern, about 80% of the population are essentially told what to believe- and they blindly follow what they are told. Just like sheep. Bleating all the way. Yes, we have come to this.

About 20% are genuine independent thinkers who have an ability to look at both sides and realize that neither side has all the answers. The ability to call as it really is.

Actually, it's a darn shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,265,359 times
i agree 100% and it sickens me. you really cant even have a conversation with those types of people.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:21 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,289,434 times
What about those of us who are way out there, who say things like McCain is an "alien hybrid" or that Obama and Hillary are "alien-other type". Has nothing to do with your observation but I assure you, not everyone on this board is a bleeting sheep. Some of us, well I guess that would be me, are kind of out there in terms of the what kind of information I consider politically relevant.

Exposing Reptilians

The above website is where I got the outlandish info.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
What about those of us who are way out there, who say things like McCain is an "alien hybrid" or that Obama and Hillary are "alien-other type". Has nothing to do with your observation but I assure you, not everyone on this board is a bleeting sheep. Some of us, well I guess that would be me, are kind of out there in terms of the what kind of information I consider politically relevant.

Exposing Reptilians

I guess my rant is that I get so weary of the same old thing. Liberals can't see beyond their noses. Conservatives can't either. I can give a pen to a lib or conservative and ask them what they see. If either of their "parties" tell them it's an apple, guess what? It's an apple. And they will fight to the death over it. But, it's still just a pen.

Civics is dead. Partisan politics is chic. Very few people can look at politics and be really honest. They don't have to agree with me, but just have an honest opinion and not what they are told to believe.

Actually, I think people like that live a lie. But isn't that what we've become?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post

Exposing Reptilians

Oh yeah, I went to that website. Outlandish is a very good way of describing it.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:28 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,240,808 times
I disagree with your basic take on politics there, Blazer. I think practically everyone of voting age has a core set of beliefs, and find that one party or the other is better in line with their philosophies.

Politics is loaded with hyperbole, and mischaracterizations of opponent positions. This is nothing new, you can't win if you don't get the votes, and the best way to get folks to vote is to dread the outcome should your opponent win.

This has been going on since before any of us were even born, and it isn't a big deal. You need to "energize your base" if you want to win elections.

I think folks have a greater comfort level with one parties set of philosophies, and tend to support their candidates. Sometimes priorities change, and folks may switch their vote, but typically folks have fairly consistent voting patterns.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
i agree 100% and it sickens me. you really cant even have a conversation with those types of people.

Perfectly put.

I love honest, open debates. I have to debate attorneys all day and they have this credo that if they deviate from their position just one iota, then they are weak. I say the opposite. If you can admit & accept your weaknesses, then your honesty will make your strengths all the more forceful.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:32 PM

403 posts, read 749,477 times
Isn't this a little to vague. What are your views?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I disagree with your basic take on politics there, Blazer. I think practically everyone of voting age has a core set of beliefs, and find that one party or the other is better in line with their philosophies.

Politics is loaded with hyperbole, and mischaracterizations of opponent positions. This is nothing new, you can't win if you don't get the votes, and the best way to get folks to vote is to dread the outcome should your opponent win.

This has been going on since before any of us were even born, and it isn't a big deal. You need to "energize your base" if you want to win elections.

I think folks have a greater comfort level with one parties set of philosophies, and tend to support their candidates. Sometimes priorities change, and folks may switch their vote, but typically folks have fairly consistent voting patterns.
I see your point, and you are right to a certain extent, but overall I reject it.

Just read this board. Undeniable facts are denied in most cases. THAT has become the new debate. I'll tell you what- just as an example, if Bush were to edn homelessness I promise you the liberals would refuse to believe it for no other reason than they cannot accept the fact a non liberal did such a thing. It's cheap & dishonest thinking- yet, look carefully, and you will see about 80% of the people look at poltics and life just this way.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:40 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,720,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

I respectfully disagree. When Clinton was in Bosnia the same people who are saying that the Iraq invasion was justified were crying foul about foreign entanglements. The same people who cried about big government say little about the incredible size the government has grown. People quickly forgot what the Republican party platform was in 1998 and go with the flow.

It's apparent by the rhetoric on here by people who live and die by the party lines. I won't name names, but quite a few come to mind right away that will come up with any excuse in the book to defend the same actions they would condemn if it were done by the opposite party.

I am proudly an independent. I consider myself a libertarian, but definitely not a Libertarian, as that party can spew just as much rhetoric as the rest. I sleep much better at night knowing that I support what *I* believe, and don't feel constrained by adopting the talking points of the leaders of a certain party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections