Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 AM

152 posts, read 99,404 times

Advertisements

My Congressman, Joseph P. Kennedy III, has recently come to national attention as a top adversary to President Trump and the GOP's insane health care plan. In fact I believe this is the beginning of a new and very important chapter in his life/career. It is indeed VERY rare for a Congressman to go directly to the presidency, but 2020 is around the corner and he would appeal to many groups-young people, progressives, Catholics, even many elder Americans still living who long for the days of Camelot.

Maybe I am biased but I used to work for him and I have never had a more genuinely kind boss. Despite what many believe about the Kennedys, Joe makes sure you know that you are important and is not one to look over your shoulder when someone with a higher title than you walks into the room. He is the type of person we need in our government, including the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 01:42 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Very rare is correct.
Garfield was the only serving Representative directly elected to the White House ever. There were other Representatives who were elected, but only after they had been out of the House for a few years. Lincoln was one, as was John Quincy Adams, who returned to the House after his term as president was finished.

That's not to say Joe III couldn't get the nomination, or the job, but it would be truly exceptional if he did. Voters seem to like their Representatives to stay put in the House. That's probably because they get to know their representatives much better than their senators or governors.

But this is a new century, and the times are a lot different now than they were last century. I think it's entirely possible that the House could become the place where our presidents come from. Representatives are generally more populist than Senators, and populism is definitely on the rise now.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:16 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,810,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
My Congressman, Joseph P. Kennedy III, has recently come to national attention as a top adversary to President Trump and the GOP's insane health care plan. In fact I believe this is the beginning of a new and very important chapter in his life/career. It is indeed VERY rare for a Congressman to go directly to the presidency, but 2020 is around the corner and he would appeal to many groups-young people, progressives, Catholics, even many elder Americans still living who long for the days of Camelot.

Maybe I am biased but I used to work for him and I have never had a more genuinely kind boss. Despite what many believe about the Kennedys, Joe makes sure you know that you are important and is not one to look over your shoulder when someone with a higher title than you walks into the room. He is the type of person we need in our government, including the White House.
I hadn't seen him before I heard him speak about mental health benefits the other day and I was very impressed. People are saying he is one to watch in the future. I'm interesting in learning more about him.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:04 AM

59,164 posts, read 27,361,070 times
Quote:

"President Trump and the GOP's insane health care plan."

Your bias made me stop reading right there.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 AM

27,163 posts, read 15,338,717 times
Americans leaned to a non-politician this time and rejected dynasties.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:17 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,442,728 times
Not another Kennedy!

Teddy killed Mary Joe, and then killed America by turning it into the Third World.

I think we've had more than enough of the Kennedys.

Massachusetts is the worst state in America -- giving us Kennedys and, now, Princess Minnehaha.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,219,958 times
NO! The one good thing Trump has done is put an end to Clinton's and Bush's playing a game of tag for the Whitehouse. We know have Kennedys and Cheneys and countless other political dynasties (I think the Pauls now fit this bill as well) still rambling around Congress. Some are fine and probably suit their constituents well; however we really need to get away from having Presidents and Presidential candidates who basically are looking to affirm hald century old decisions by other family members. Romney even fits that second point.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:56 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,986,342 times
...i think joe saw the writing on the wall and figured that the 'kennedy years' were a thing of the past....and rather than be the carrier of the 'last best hope' banner of dying dynasty he would just let that shining apple who did not fall far from the tree, teddy's kid, carry the kennedy banner and true to form has showed what a loser he can be...

Old 03-24-2017, 10:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,041,341 times
Kennedy is a Representative. No one votes for them for President. Plus, he really has orange hair.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:47 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,503,810 times
Quote:

the only Kennedy who was worth his salt was JFK Jr....don't know enough about joe3 to make an assessment

funny thing is he (JFK Jr) was going to run for senator of NY in 00, and possibly go for the presidency in 08....but Hillary had him wacked.. she took the senate seat in ny, and then attempted to run in 08, but lost o the unknown obama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections