Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:50 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I will look out for this book on my next trip to a book store. I read the Halperin and Hileman (sp) books on 2008 and 2012 and thought they gave great insight. I hope they do a 2016 follow up.

Did the book go into data mining/the online campaigns into much depth. A firm originally out of the UK- Cambridge Analytics I believe- really helped boost Cruz then honed in on possible Trump messages/voters.

Aside from my personal politics I think getting into the different layers of elections is very interesting. SO often we see 2 or 3 big topics and miss out on the minor dealings that can swing an election. For 2000 it was the Cuban vote in Florida pissed about Elian Gonzalez, Governor Bush tidying up voter rolls by kicking off folks with the same names as felons even when it was already one of the nations biggest states with huge numbers of similarly name folks and Team Gore's pick of Lieberman for a morality play when then Senator Graham could have delivered at least another 25-100k votes in his home state. Just wondering if they ID'd similar issues in a couple of the swing states.
Nice to see someone mention Elian Gonzalez. If you look at historic Cuban-American voting patterns, he alone was worth about 100k votes.

I think if Gore had made a few impassioned speeches and traveled down there and really worked that angle with anti-castro rhetoric he'd have won.

P.S. I hate to get into the slippery slope of vote shenanigans since both sides do it but both sides claim only the other side does it to material effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:57 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
P.S. I hate to get into the slippery slope of vote shenanigans since both sides do it but both sides claim only the other side does it to material effect.

And it only matters in a painfully tight election. I think Rs complain more loudly but are actually better at it. I always laugh about supposed vote shenanigans in Chicago because it means Dems would be wasting their time in a place they'll already carry instead of one that matters.

And I agree on turnout- 2004, 2012 and 2016 all saw one candidate gain about 3-4% in the swing states based on the composition of the electorate. The pollster typically hit their #s correctly within the demographics but get slippery when they need to dial in to the likely voter. This go round the real story is young folks staying home and minority Millenials voting third party in higher numbers than normal.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:14 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
And it only matters in a painfully tight election. I think Rs complain more loudly but are actually better at it. I always laugh about supposed vote shenanigans in Chicago because it means Dems would be wasting their time in a place they'll already carry instead of one that matters.

And I agree on turnout- 2004, 2012 and 2016 all saw one candidate gain about 3-4% in the swing states based on the composition of the electorate. The pollster typically hit their #s correctly within the demographics but get slippery when they need to dial in to the likely voter. This go round the real story is young folks staying home and minority Millenials voting third party in higher numbers than normal.
Voter shenanigans in Chicago are not "supposed" lol, they just happen to take place in the primaries where democrats screw each other over.

I remember when Jesse Jackson Jr. was running for congress on the south side and his opponent got a homeless guy with the same name on the ballot to confuse voters. They got him removed before the election but there is just one solid example from recent years....and there are many many more examples.

The party that complains the most is the one that has lost so definitely that has been the Republicans in recent years. I don't know how old you are or when you started paying attention to politics but the howling of cheating from 2000-08 were just as intense as it was from 2008-16.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:56 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Clinton was a weak candidate who did not inspire. That, plus outside foreign interference and Comey's interference, was just enough to sink her in a remarkably close election. Trump barely squeaked out a win by 100,000 spread over just three states, Penn., Wisc. and Minn. Trump's election was a huge fluke and is not the sweeping mandate for change that his supporters think it is.
Really? I remember before the election, many Democrats and liberals were saying that Hillary was one of the most-qualified presidential candidates in history.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:48 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Really? I remember before the election, many Democrats and liberals were saying that Hillary was one of the most-qualified presidential candidates in history.
I specifically remember hearing that she was the most qualified candidate to ever run.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:46 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I specifically remember hearing that she was the most qualified candidate to ever run.
In terms of her resume, she was.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:30 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
What did she accomplish?

Old 04-01-2017, 01:32 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What did she accomplish?
she sang"

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F1&FORM=VRDGAR

Old 04-01-2017, 02:27 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Nothing in her resume would indicate this. Prior to 2016, the only election she had ever won was the very non-competitive seat for US Senator from NY. The DNC cleared the ballot so she could take it.

Of course her stunning loss to Barack Hussein Obama also speaks to her qualifications to win an election.

Clinton's only real qualification was that she was the estranged wife of a former US President. Take that away and every position she ever held, except for maybe the law job she got fired from, would have never happened.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:29 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nothing in her resume would indicate this. Prior to 2016, the only election she had ever won was the very non-competitive seat for US Senator from NY. The DNC cleared the ballot so she could take it.

Of course her stunning loss to Barack Hussein Obama also speaks to her qualifications to win an election.

Clinton's only real qualification was that she was the estranged wife of a former US President. Take that away and every position she ever held, except for maybe the law job she got fired from, would have never happened.

Take away Lewinsky and she doesn't get anywhere. Her rise was very much the misplaced sympathy path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections