Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will Democrats achieve a Senate majority again?
2018 midterm 32 23.88%
2020 presidential 22 16.42%
2022 midterm 17 12.69%
2024 presidential 9 6.72%
2026 midterm or later 13 9.70%
Not in our lifetime 41 30.60%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 12:12 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,962,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And Trump has demonstrated that he is a lunatic.
Coming from someone who lives in Montgomery County, your assessment doesn't mean much. Look at the freaks you elect there. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 04:16 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,228,882 times
I honestly think it could happen within the next 4 years. Mainly because of Donald Trump. He's inspired a more populist message. If we're lucky, the American people will pay attention and notice that the Republican party is not even slightly a populist party. And while it would asinine to say the Democratic party is, the Democratic party was a more populist party more recently and has policy positions that would only need to be slightly altered in order to bring that message back.

But who knows. I'm not in the prediction game. A lot can happen in two years.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:00 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
My guess is that it's going to take awhile for the Senate to have a Democratic majority again, but it will happen eventually. One factor is on the party's side - the current Republican president is underwater in popularity in most polls, and the opposition is fired up, at least at the moment.
I don't put stock in popularity polls. If they mattered, the Presidential race would have been Marco Rubio vs Bernie Sanders.

However if you wish to bring them up, go look at the popularity polls of congress. They make Trump look like the most popular person on the planet.

If the Democrats are still harping about the Russians a year from now, they will be routed completely come November. They need to give people a reason to vote from them and constant conspiracy theories against Trump aren't going to get them there.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:46 PM

3,165 posts, read 2,218,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't put stock in popularity polls. If they mattered, the Presidential race would have been Marco Rubio vs Bernie Sanders.

However if you wish to bring them up, go look at the popularity polls of congress. They make Trump look like the most popular person on the planet.

If the Democrats are still harping about the Russians a year from now, they will be routed completely come November. They need to give people a reason to vote from them and constant conspiracy theories against Trump aren't going to get them there.
Sure, maybe Republicans will pick up all the Senate seats next year in states that voted for Trump, and thus achieve a super-majority which will greatly ease their ability to move conservative legislation quickly, with the filibuster becoming irrelevant. It's not out of the question that could happen.

As stated previously, I think Democrats have virtually no chance of winning back the Senate in 2018. But I doubt it is in their interests to abandon the "resistance" to Trump - that type of strategy worked pretty well for Republicans when Obama was president. It's the nature of an opposition party to exploit any weaknesses, real or perceived, of the dominant party's leadership.

As far as Congress' popularity goes, the individual members mostly care about how they are perceived in their respective state or district. Most of the public likes their own senators a lot better than Congress as a whole.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,760,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I'm to the right of center but not so far as to not see things realistically. I voted for Trump. He spoke to the middle whereas Hillary did not. I also liked Bernie, though for very different reasons. I'd of taken him seriously as a candidate and would have given him consideration.

The Republicans need to guard against shooting themselves in the foot such as they nearly did with that abominable health plan. Trump needs to tone down the rhetoric and start acting presidential. Someone needs to tell him that the campaign is over. A lid needs to be kept on the far right side of the party. They are hurting, not helping the conservative cause. The religious zealots in their ranks need to be marginalized. We're not a theocracy.

If the Democrats are to regain some ground on their merits (vs the Republicans giving it to them as a result of being stupid), they need to drop the identity politics and they need to cleanse themselves of the divisive folks leading the party. The Clintons have way too much baggage, yet the Dems still keep them front and center. Making the recent election of a new party chair an exercise in identity politics tells me they have learned nothing. The Dems need a clean slate of fresh faces that speak to the middle of the political spectrum rather than ignoring the middle such as we have presently. The Obama & Clinton loyalists are toxic for the party. The party needs to divorce itself from the rioters in our cities and on our campuses, because riots are not peaceful protests. Shouting down anyone who holds a different view will not win hearts and minds, nor will calling everyone that disagrees with you a racist, homophobe, misogynist, Islamophobe etc.

Either party can gain ground in 2018 & 2020, either by getting smart or by being less stupid than the other.
Yep, but I doubt they'll listen. They're too busy blaming Russia and the deplorable's.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:13 AM

32,083 posts, read 15,085,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Coming from someone who lives in Montgomery County, your assessment doesn't mean much. Look at the freaks you elect there. Sad.
Governor Hogan who is awesome. Do you think it's sad we voted for a moderate republican. lol

Old 04-04-2017, 12:42 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,890,590 times
Democrats still insult the the Middle Class and those in rural areas. They choose to be obstructionists and forget they were the ones whom change the rules in the Senate to pass the Obama Agenda. The more they accuse and cry like babies the less they command any support from all of America.

The head of the DNC was quote Republicans do not F- Care about you. When in fact they have done much for anyone in 40 years.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:28 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Sure, maybe Republicans will pick up all the Senate seats next year in states that voted for Trump, and thus achieve a super-majority which will greatly ease their ability to move conservative legislation quickly, with the filibuster becoming irrelevant. It's not out of the question that could happen.

As stated previously, I think Democrats have virtually no chance of winning back the Senate in 2018. But I doubt it is in their interests to abandon the "resistance" to Trump - that type of strategy worked pretty well for Republicans when Obama was president. It's the nature of an opposition party to exploit any weaknesses, real or perceived, of the dominant party's leadership.

As far as Congress' popularity goes, the individual members mostly care about how they are perceived in their respective state or district. Most of the public likes their own senators a lot better than Congress as a whole.
I doubt Democrats have any interest in abandoning their opposition to Trump. His approval is lower than any newly elected president we've seen and Republicans own the result of everything that happens. There is no downside whatsoever to Democrats opposing Trump and making Republicans own everything Trump does.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,024,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
Look kids, its simply not going to happen in 2018. Thirty-three states have Senate seats up for re-election: Of those 33, 25 seats are in blue states, 10 seats in states in which Trump carried, and 5 of which by double digits. This demonstrates precisely Democrats' handicap of concentrating the vast majority of their support in urban areas. It simply doesn't matter if 1 or 1 million people in a deep blue district vote for a Democrat. What matters is if Democrats can turn a red seat blue. Trump has already demonstrated that he's capable of turning blue to red. The best you can hope for in 2018 is that Trump voters stay home.
I am not that much familiar about election process. But I do not see any reason for red stats not to vote for Trump or Republicans. He seems to be doing exactly what they want in terms of regulations, immigration etc.,. I think there is chance of democrats losing more votes by overplaying Russia story and supporting Hillary resistance.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:32 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,760,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
I am not that much familiar about election process. But I do not see any reason for red stats not to vote for Trump or Republicans. He seems to be doing exactly what they want in terms of regulations, immigration etc.,. I think there is chance of democrats losing more votes by overplaying Russia story and supporting Hillary resistance.
I live in one of the blue wall states that went red and people here are really turned off by how the Democrats are acting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections