Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:31 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,397,902 times

Advertisements

[
Quote:
quote=Lillietta;3129908]However, something is throwing me off about the way his supporters spit venom against Clinton and so many of them are just blinded by the hype. I have a very negative gut feeling about him, because of how he is being worshipped and idolized. It makes me very uncomfortable, uneasy and nervous.

Actually the title of your thread is misleading. Majority of democrats adore Obama, not vice-versa.
I don't think he is worshiped nor idolized. I know I don't feel that way but I think that the pro-Obama people are just reacting out of so much anger at the previous administration and at Hillary's antics who cannot be trusted. I think it is their way of saying Enough! Bring in the new! Shouting it out of sheer frustration.[/quote]

[/quote]

I would love nothing more then see some change. However, how much will Obama really be able to change? Even if he is all he claims to be, the Congress, Senate and corruption of this government will never change. He is not a Messiah for crying out loud, that's just that much that one person can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 06:39 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,618,780 times
[/quote]

I would love nothing more then see some change. However, how much will Obama really be able to change? Even if he is all he claims to be, the Congress, Senate and corruption of this government will never change. He is not a Messiah for crying out loud, that's just that much that one person can do.[/quote]

How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world?
Anne Frank (1929 - 1945)

Old 03-13-2008, 06:49 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,209,346 times
Quote:
Quote:
I would love nothing more then see some change. However, how much will Obama really be able to change? Even if he is all he claims to be, the Congress, Senate and corruption of this government will never change. He is not a Messiah for crying out loud, that's just that much that one person can do.
How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world?
Anne Frank (1929 - 1945)
So are you saying that you think that Anne Frank would have made a good US president?

No one is faulting Obama's sentiments. The big issue is that us non-Obama supporters don't believe that he can actually make the changes he's promised.

And speaking of messiahs, no way would I vote for Jesus Christ for US president either.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:45 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,897,956 times
The president of the US is in the most powerful political position in the world. To say someone in that job can't push through change is simply ludicrous. I could point to many historical examples, from Lincoln to GW Bush. Low experience, huge change.

Whomever wins the office will be able to effect great change, the question is who is more likely to want to change things.. vs who would be more comfortable with the status quo? Who would have the judgement to try to make the changes you want?

When the winner gets to office, who will they owe for their victory? The American people, or a bunch of superdelegate politicians? Will the victor be in a position to enact positive change, or provide payback to the people who brokered back-room deals and punish those who weren't on their side?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
The president of the US is in the most powerful political position in the world. To say someone in that job can't push through change is simply ludicrous. I could point to many historical examples, from Lincoln to GW Bush. Low experience, huge change.
I think it's ludicrous and naive to think that Bush was the only one responsible for huge downfall of this country. Did he play a big part? Yes...but it wasn't all him. People surrounding him including Mr. Cheney were huge players.
Quite honestly, I think at this point in time no matter who will win, there will be no major improvement. This government is so corrupt and there is so much going on that we know very little about that I feel very suspicious when Obama screams about "change".

Old 03-14-2008, 12:33 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,897,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I think it's ludicrous and naive to think that Bush was the only one responsible for huge downfall of this country. Did he play a big part? Yes...but it wasn't all him. People surrounding him including Mr. Cheney were huge players.
I didn't say "only", nor did I credit him with the "downfall" or say it was all him. But I think we agree that the president of the US is the most powerful position in the US government, don't we? Or do you disagree about that?

So again, to ask "can a president really make change if they are not experienced enough?" is a ridiculous thing to say.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:13 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,272,426 times
How do you know Democrats HATE Obama??? thats big statement to make and NONE sought to nail the OP on this???

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/GALhrcFAV.gif (broken link)

http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/GALobamaFAV.gif (broken link)

Old 03-14-2008, 07:29 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,988,985 times
You did it Expat

Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I didn't say "only", nor did I credit him with the "downfall" or say it was all him. But I think we agree that the president of the US is the most powerful position in the US government, don't we? Or do you disagree about that?

So again, to ask "can a president really make change if they are not experienced enough?" is a ridiculous thing to say.
I actually said NOT a word about Obama's experience. I think that he has enough to be a president. I actually happen to think that president is just another player in the political chess game with the Bank being in control of the game. So, no, I don't think that president holds the most powerful position in the government.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:34 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,988,985 times
Presidents are led by corporations. They're the ones in power, and Kennedy didn't bow to them so even if Lee Harvey was found guilty, there are those who think otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections