Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:10 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,318,832 times

Advertisements

Seems that most of Obama's supporters are either young or black. It is obvious why one group supports Obama... I would too. But do young people support Obama just because he is young... that is my guess since I have not seen anything exceptional about Obama that would indicate that he would make a good president. He just talks pretty, dresses snappy and knows how to dance. I have not heard him talk about anything of substance yet nor does he have much experience. So what is it exactly that makes him the best candidate for president? Another thing... maybe alot of folks just can't handle a woman president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 12:13 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,453,962 times
Lightbulb Why do young people like Obama?

1. He's not a Bush

2. He's not a Clinton

3. He hasn't played a major role in screwing up America like 1 and 2 above.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:20 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,032,273 times
Didn't he win on American Idol?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:35 PM

8,058 posts, read 10,658,133 times
My daughter and all of her friends support Obama. For many of them, it will be their first chance to vote. Some have Obama bumper stickers on their cars. They are all white, their entire school is white. I haven't heard the fact that he is of mixed descent (half Black) come up in ANY of their conversations about him. He just won the Wyoming caucus. Wyoming is about as White as it is here in Montana. It seems that his supporters don't really see his color (or his name) as an issue to be contemplated at all. It appears to be his opponents that are spending so much time contemplating these "issues".

You're right, young people are drawn to Obama partly because he is young and hip, but at least he's got their attention, and that's very hard for a politician to do! But it's also because they are concerned about their futures and the future of our country. Remember it is mostly YOUNG PEOPLE that are fighting and dying in this war in Iraq. My daughter and her friends know some of them. Who would you support if you were a young person?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,176,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
You're right, young people are drawn to Obama partly because he is young and hip, but at least he's got their attention, and that's very hard for a politician to do! But it's also because they are concerned about their futures and the future of our country. Remember it is mostly YOUNG PEOPLE that are fighting and dying in this war in Iraq. My daughter and her friends know some of them. Who would you support if you were a young person?
Ron Paul. He's the only candidate willing to state that he would end the war, make the necessary changes back to the Constitution, and make sure that young people would be able to opt out of the Social Security debacle that they will pay for their entire lives and probably never receive any benefits from.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:44 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,211,819 times
Obama sends a very simple message out to the public. He's campaign platform is short and sweet. He is only promising to make change. He appeals to people like those that Jay Leno interviews for his Jaywalk segments, all of those people who don't who don't know that George Washington was our first president and some not even knowing who our current president is. Obama simplifies and dumbs his message down for a broader appeal. He never talks about the issues, but his supporters only redirect the questioners to read his website. Obama never seems comfortable talking about any issues in depth.

Improve-Education.org Names Jay Leno Educator of the Year for 2008

Old 03-09-2008, 12:45 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,027,868 times
My son and his girlfriend support Hillary. They can't stand Obama's preacher style and the fact that he doesn't really say much of substance. My son first supported John Edwards but when he dropped out, he switched to Hillary. His girlfriend has supported Hillary from the get-go. She is excited about the possibility of a woman in the White House for once and she admires her intelligence and assertiveness.

Both kids are sophomores at university and very worried about how the job market will be when they graduate in two years. They trust Hillary with the economy.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:52 PM

8,058 posts, read 10,658,133 times
Actually, my daughter is an honor role student, and she and her friends do a lot of volunteering here in our community. There is a lot of good in our youth today, you just don't hear about it enough. As I stated, it is mostly YOUNG PEOPLE who are volunteering, fighting, being injured, and dying in this war as well. Please don't discount our young people as all mindless American Idol watching, clueless and ignorant, just because the majority of them have gotten behind a candidate you don't support.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:37 PM

27,219 posts, read 46,807,770 times
My daughter and her friend ar very much against Obama even more than we are. Just because they listen and haven't heard what he stands for, that is called the facts!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:41 PM

646 posts, read 1,788,952 times
I would tend to agree with some of the others here that Obama's opposition to the war along with a "fresh" message is what drawing young voters.
I think it's very silly to say that young voters are simply dumb and don't know any better as another poster said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections