Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:43 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times

Advertisements

As important as it is to use good judgment when using the term "racist", it's equally as important that none of us presume to be the judge of who/what is or isn't racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 12:57 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,114,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
When a member of the Obama campaign has said something stupid, the Clinton campaign has made a big deal about it and called on Obama to condemn the remarks.

Strangely, well maybe not so strangely considering it's Hillary and Mark Penn, she hasn't said a word about Ferraro.
Right. But this is a message board, not "The Situation Room". No one is required to return every moronic and childish campaign remark. Besides, is it really necessary to add to the stupidity just because the Clinton's do it?

Old 03-11-2008, 01:00 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,987,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I don't know if Ferraro is a "racist" or not. I do know that what she said was racially offensive and ignorant in several ways.

She ought to know that just because a person isn't white or male, doesn't mean they ought to be reduced to a "concept". When she was running for VP on Walter Mondale's ticket, I'm sure she took exception with people who thought of her as a "concept".

But apparently, she doesn't think that Senator Obama, because he's Black, ought to be afforded that same respect and deference.
I agree and find this offensive because it's as if he didn't earn it.. And for those of you who really do not know, successful African-Americans have had to try harder. Lucky my a--.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:39 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
I didn't quite understand her point about the superdelegates, but if she's asserting that a white man with his qualifications wouldn't be successful, she's right. The host probably thought so, too, because he said "like John Edwards." Bingo! I thought it was interesting that she said if she were a man she wouldn't have been selected as the VP nominee in the '80s.

It is what it is and accusations of "racism" don't change that.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Ms. Ferraro also believes that the media are being very sexist toward Clinton.

Quote:
"I think what America feels about a woman becoming president takes a very secondary place to Obama's campaign — to a kind of campaign that it would be hard for anyone to run against," she said. "For one thing, you have the press, which has been uniquely hard on her. It's been a very sexist media. Some just don't like her. The others have gotten caught up in the Obama campaign."
Does Senator Clinton feel that the media are being sexist? I'd like to hear from her on that, as well as Ms. Ferraro's racial comments about Senator Obama.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I didn't quite understand her point about the superdelegates, but if she's asserting that a white man with his qualifications wouldn't be successful, she's right. The host probably thought so, too, because he said "like John Edwards." Bingo! I thought it was interesting that she said if she were a man she wouldn't have been selected as the VP nominee in the '80s.

The reality is that John Edwards' credentials were no impressive than Obama's or Clinton's. What's more, he had every opportunity to compete; convey a message; and raise money just like everyone else. And with credentials being subjective, the voters--and their $$$--are saying that Obama's are best, followed closely by Clinton's.

But to heap resentment on the Black man because he's more popular and/or successful than the white woman, reeks of racial paternalism--the key reason I left the Democratic Party.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:14 PM

315 posts, read 761,445 times
I am an african american woman who has said the same thing. The simple fact is obama is unqualified for the job and nope it's not just about his age or lack of political experience for me I just think he is too weak of a man to be the president.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:16 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,293,855 times
Quote:
....if she's asserting that a white man with his qualifications wouldn't be successful, she's right.
Do you think a woman with Hillary's qualifications who wasn't married to a 2-term president of the United States would be successful? Really?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:20 PM

315 posts, read 761,445 times
Quote:

Bingo! But unfortunately noone cares about skills this time because white and black americans alike are so desperate for a black president. And since a "nice" black man is running they will overlook his poor leadership and communications skills with people just to get him in office. And these people don't consider that our country will suffer the consequences of obama inability to get the job done.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:23 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Do you think a woman with Hillary's qualifications who wasn't married to a 2-term president of the United States would be successful? Really?
If Hillary wasn't married to Bill, would she have gone into politics in the first place? I have no idea for sure but it's quite likely. She was tapped for prestigious and high-profile roles before she married Bill, so that probably would have continued. She is 60 years old and has had 14 more years than Obama to amass experience.

If anything, I think her marriage is more of a hindrance in this election than a help. Reducing her to "Bill's wife" and downplaying her own intelligence, education, and experience has been a favorite ploy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections