Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:21 AM

35,124 posts, read 17,080,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Harris needs at least a few years in the Senate before she'll be a serious candidate. I know of her as the San Francisco DA (hence her tough questioning at various hearings), but just because we have a complete amateur in the WH doesn't mean just anyone can be a serious candidate now.
Only through identity politics is she a serious candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 01:04 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,525,378 times
Quote:
Harris needs at least a few years in the Senate before she'll be a serious candidate. I know of her as the San Francisco DA (hence her tough questioning at various hearings), but just because we have a complete amateur in the WH doesn't mean just anyone can be a serious candidate now.
She also spent 6 years as the AG of the most populous state with the nation's biggest economy. And now represents that State in the US Senate with assignment to some important Senate Committees. Her experience, by the time of the 2020 election, will resemble that of Pres. Obama when he first ran.

I think she and the Party have done a nice job of preparing her for a run. But she'll have to connect to voters to get it done in the primaries--assuming she wants to run.

I agree that we should ever use Trump as a baseline for experience or qualification.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:13 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,729,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I was not impressed with Harris during her terms here in California, although it was nice that she was so proud of her Indian-American mother and talked about her a lot and what it meant to grow up with the Indian culture. Apparently her father was Jamaican--never heard about him.

Then she started running for the Senate. Threw her mom under the bus and suddenly became Black-American.

That didn't impress me a bit. Then she's been in Congress for a minute, hasn't accomplished anything but is in line to run for President?

Sounds a lot like how Obama was "shaped."
Reality in America is that multiracial ppl are FORCED to choose a group. Sh has always said that she is half and half🌖

Old 08-03-2017, 01:24 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,603,765 times
Slept her way to the top. When she was thirty she 'dated' powerful California Dem, Speaker of the State Assembly and San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown, sixty. Shortly thereafter she got titles, position, power and money. She's lucky she found a straight man in San Francisco.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:26 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,110,776 times
The Democrats are under the impression that they can nominate anyone and defeat Trump in 2020. So I can see them pushing Harris for identity politics reasons alone

Old 08-03-2017, 04:01 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,674,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
She also spent 6 years as the AG of the most populous state with the nation's biggest economy. And now represents that State in the US Senate with assignment to some important Senate Committees. Her experience, by the time of the 2020 election, will resemble that of Pres. Obama when he first ran.

I think she and the Party have done a nice job of preparing her for a run. But she'll have to connect to voters to get it done in the primaries--assuming she wants to run.

I agree that we should ever use Trump as a baseline for experience or qualification.
Right now she hasn't done much except take a stand for immigrant families and push for Jeff Sessions' removal due to perjury. That's not gonna connect with voters in the Heartland. Obama won because, not only was he likeable, he did all the county fairs in Iowa and throughout Middle America to talk with them and say how he wanted to help them. Right now there's a huge disconnect between the coasts and "flyover country" and I don't see Harris bridging that gap. But I think she's valuable to have at the table.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:14 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,110,776 times
Quote:
Right now she hasn't done much except take a stand for immigrant families and push for Jeff Sessions' removal due to perjury. That's not gonna connect with voters in the Heartland. Obama won because, not only was he likeable, he did all the county fairs in Iowa and throughout Middle America to talk with them and say how he wanted to help them. Right now there's a huge disconnect between the coasts and "flyover country" and I don't see Harris bridging that gap. But I think she's valuable to have at the table.
why?

Old 08-03-2017, 04:42 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,306,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Im not saying Kamala Harris is qualified, however the fact that some think Trump was qualified and she is not is laughable.
You nailed it.

Donald Trump lowered the bar so much, you'd have a hard time saying anyone is "unqualified".

At least, in comparison to Donald Trump.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:55 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,674,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
why?
Why not? She's a tough investigator, given her DA/AG background, and seems to have fallen into her role as senator fairly quickly. As someone said already, the last election showed Democrats need more candidates, not less, so let her run along with at least a half-dozen others, and see who rises to the top. I'm still hoping my boy Sherrod Brown gives it heavy consideration, because the DNC desperately needs more Middle American representation.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 PM

29,607 posts, read 16,586,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccot View Post
What are the Dems thinking of in their hour of need?. Not much learned from 2016, was there ?. Now, they are lining up Kamala Harris, a coastal elite new favorite, to lead the charge in 2020. Where Hillary had neither the energy or interest to court working class votes in the heartland, Kamala Harris will further alienate these same voters and make no bones about doing so in the process.

Could we see a Kamala Harris / Keith Ellison DNC nomination for 2020?. Trump would be thanking the heavens and counting his blessings if that were to happen.
Donald Trump is a New York Billionaire who graduated from Penn and your attack on Kamala Harris is that she is a coastal elite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections