Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:51 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,368,086 times

Advertisements

If you spend too much time at places like the C-D forums it's easy to fall into the misconception that the entire nation is not merely polarized over what took place back in November, but ready to take the fight to the streets; yet daily life seems to send and entirely different message.

I live in a small (pop 3000) 95%+ white, heavily German-surnamed community; spend an occasional weekend in a similar one a bit further north in a rural area. Probably the only major change I could cite is that the "white ethnics" I recall from my formative years no longer wield much influence -- because their descendants are now fully assimilated.

But that picture changes every day when I go to my summer-only part-time job in a theme park. Our clientele is drawn largely from New York, Philadelphia and their suburbs, and while summer schools, summer camps and the like make up much of the weekday crowd, the weekends draw mostly working class families from the urban corridor, and Caucasians are definitely a minority. No problems; almost everyone behaves with dignity and respect.

But the point I seek to make of this is that I very rarely encounter political discord of any kind; that wasn't the case four or five years ago, but at present, the only place I regularly encounter campaign signs is in a couple of small communities I pass through driving "back home" for an occasional weekend.

In short, the outrage I see at the C-D Politics/Controversies forum seems limited to here, probably to other political sites, and virtually nowhere else. Even the international-exchange interns whom I work with, and have become privileged to know, seldom discuss the subject.

I recognize that everyone has a right to their opinions, but the intense polarization felt here at C-D seems on the verge of destroying what has, for the past six years, been an important part of my day. All I really think is needed is some sort of requirement that P&OC posts contain a minimum amount of respectful exchange, thereby discouraging the "drive-by" tactics which an ugly few on both sides can't seem to avoid.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-18-2017 at 12:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 12:09 AM

3,911 posts, read 4,561,110 times
For sure... it can be a real rabbit hole. I have a few Facebook friends who are still all Trump outrage 24/7

Old 08-18-2017, 12:03 PM

26,028 posts, read 22,219,795 times
You have to remember that the internet does not represent ALL of our country, not even close. Many that spend a lot of time posting, well, their life is all about the internet, the news, the gossip, etc., and MSM keeps throwing them "bones" to play with their minds.

For the most part, people are just going on with their lives as normal. The media is making a real play to try to control the direction of our country, but most are intelligent enough to not let this be done.

There is much bitterness over Trump putting the breaks on globalism, and if more people understood that, they would get off his back and on the Trump train! We have a force behind the scene of globalists, kind of the Bush/Clinton other wealthy people party, that is trying to control the direction of our country, in a direction that will take away who we are as a people and a country.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:18 PM

29,225 posts, read 22,437,924 times
Things do have a way of becoming over-dramatized here.

But that's only because we are all here for the sport, so we have to love the drama of it all or we wouldn't even be here.

This forum is no more a reflection of everyday reality than the latest super-hero movie of the summer is.

I'm sure most Americans are aware of what's going on in our government. Trump has made ignoring him impossible. But, as you say, most of us aren't consumed by political affairs in our day to day lives.

I'm positive more folks are paying much more attention to the upcoming eclipse that the latest goings-on in the White House.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:52 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,561,635 times
People will only take to the streets in mass if they are really hungry.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:22 AM

1,229 posts, read 861,446 times
Quote:
You have to remember that the internet does not represent ALL of our country, not even close. Many that spend a lot of time posting, well, their life is all about the internet, the news, the gossip, etc., and MSM keeps throwing them "bones" to play with their minds

Well stated. You could not be more right about that. The folks in these forms or other forums all over the net who have 40, 50, 100k posts are in no way representative of the general populace.

Many of them are old, on SSI, disability, depressed, on prescription anti-depressants, non-ambulatory, in a wheel chair, etc. They don't have anything else to do.

Once you put that in its proper perspective, you realize you're just here for some temporary entertainment......and it's nothing more than that. Lol

I

Old 09-04-2017, 12:50 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,814,436 times
This isn't just politics but trolling at CD across the board. If you go to the Denver forum and complain, you get warned. If you go to the New Jersey forum and complain about Government workers are overpaid, you get banned. City Vs. City is nothing but people arguing and throwing insults about cities at one another.

This forum is actually a pretty calm one compared to those in my experience. The internet is just filled with some creepy people, only accelerating since 2016.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:07 PM

465 posts, read 236,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Things do have a way of becoming over-dramatized here.

But that's only because we are all here for the sport, so we have to love the drama of it all or we wouldn't even be here.

This forum is no more a reflection of everyday reality than the latest super-hero movie of the summer is.

I'm sure most Americans are aware of what's going on in our government. Trump has made ignoring him impossible. But, as you say, most of us aren't consumed by political affairs in our day to day lives.

I'm positive more folks are paying much more attention to the upcoming eclipse that the latest goings-on in the White House.
You're here for sport, I'm not. Not since so many attempts at the most overt cover-ups.

It gets even better when they realize how subdued they've become voting for elections.

Not since Donald Trump have the American people had a chance to eliminate Caananites.

The Obama Administration has still not left the White House, there might be two insiders.

But whether they are, they're still attempting to keep the reins of government contracts.

Once the American people will demand answers from their government of who CIA was/is.

Well, they need to know why the causes of justice have taken so long to clear the aisles.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:08 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,793,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
For sure... it can be a real rabbit hole. I have a few Facebook friends who are still all Trump outrage 24/7
This is also in colleges too. Before the election my neighbors daughter started college. She came home for the holidays and was ranting about Trump not doing this or that. Her mom had to remind her that Trump's presidency didn't even start yet LOL.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:28 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,041,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This is also in colleges too. Before the election my neighbors daughter started college. She came home for the holidays and was ranting about Trump not doing this or that. Her mom had to remind her that Trump's presidency didn't even start yet LOL.
This doesn't surprise me, and exemplifies the IQ of 99.99% of the lefties/democrats posting on forums. Their cheese has done slid off their crackers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections