Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 09:08 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,749,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Newsome could be Mitt Romney's son or baby brother. And that alone will make it very difficult for him to ever win the Democratic nomination for president. The only hope for a white man who looks like a president from central casting to become the Democratic nominee is if he can stay to the left of everyone like Bernie Sanders. But that will be increasingly difficult as the Dems radicalize. In the video clip Penn Jillette easily slides to Newsom's left on sanctuary cities by saying we should forget the legalistic arguments and simply "welcome people to live in our country".
I don't know about that. The establishment isn't with Bernie yet, and you already have Bernie purists attacking Kamala Harris (an early establishment favorite). He may look similar to Romney, but he has a relaxed demeanor that Romney didn't have. Romney is stiff, Gavin is loosey-goosey, and I think people will like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
With Trump it was not so much personality as it was his name recognition as a builder; as somebody that could get the job done. But, more so than that; he promised us a better way.

I started off as a liberal Democrat. I was told to never vote for a Republican because they stood for big business. I watched as the Party started, by average workers, turned it's back on the very people that supported it and built it. They abandoned the private sector and backed the public sector; now we can no longer fund their pensions. As if that is not enough; they want open doors and they want us to pay to feed, clothe, house, pay the medical bills, and educate all - of course that means even more government!

Private sector workers are looked at as 'deplorables'. Until you find policies that work for the other half the Nation; not one of your candidates, with 'personality', will see the WH. Cut through the BS and tell us what you plan to run on besides: I hate Trump!

Right now we have a major national disaster in Texas. Trump is doing far more than his predecessors in preparation. Where are the Democrats rushing in to help people in dire need? I am not saying there are none; but Trump is the one visible and making the 'right' calls. Every deed, like this, will be remembered in coming elections - like the lack of response to Katrina!
Well I would argue that Trump is a con-man who made lots of empty promises he had no intention of ever fulfilling (as he's done throughout his entire professional life) so that he would get votes. But that's a debate for a separate thread. He has, however, lived up to his attempt to implement extreme right wing policy, which goes against everything I stand for as a liberal. I think his charisma and personality were huge factors in winning. He spoke in a way that appears to be authentic, which a lot of people connected with. Unfortunately, I think in politics that's half the bottle. Policy is the other half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 09:41 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,851,191 times
Adam Schiff for president or someone equally as articulate and sane. I'm still basking in the intellectual orgasm of his interview last night. He doesn't need a teleprompter to put an intelligent sentence together. He's also very fair. I admire his integrity. We need some one who is going to be the president for all of the people and not just for a select group.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:11 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,739,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Gavin Newsom. The guy legitimately looks like an actor hired to play the President on TV.

He's a liberal, he's charismatic and he has this relaxed, calm yet self-assured demeanor.

Check him out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H1bu7ltCZs
Yep. I saw that show too. Men and women swoon over him. He def has the personality to catch a listener's attention.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:24 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,739,859 times
Quote:
With Trump it was not so much personality as it was his name recognition as a builder; as somebody that could get the job done. But, more so than that; he promised us a better way.

I started off as a liberal Democrat. I was told to never vote for a Republican because they stood for big business. I watched as the Party started, by average workers, turned it's back on the very people that supported it and built it. They abandoned the private sector and backed the public sector; now we can no longer fund their pensions. As if that is not enough; they want open doors and they want us to pay to feed, clothe, house, pay the medical bills, and educate all - of course that means even more government!

Private sector workers are looked at as 'deplorables'. Until you find policies that work for the other half the Nation; not one of your candidates, with 'personality', will see the WH. Cut through the BS and tell us what you plan to run on besides: I hate Trump!

Right now we have a major national disaster in Texas. Trump is doing far more than his predecessors in preparation. Where are the Democrats rushing in to help people in dire need? I am not saying there are none; but Trump is the one visible and making the 'right' calls. Every deed, like this, will be remembered in coming elections - like the lack of response to Katrina!
Where are the Democrats?!! We have the 3 federal government branches of govt in Republican hands. Our state is also in Repub hands without ANY elected DEM state govt executive posts since 1994!! Our federal Congressman Blake Farenthold in Corpus Christi is also a Repub. Not too many Dems in our neck of the woods to do anything.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:44 AM

18,774 posts, read 18,267,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Well I would argue that Trump is a con-man who made lots of empty promises he had no intention of ever fulfilling (as he's done throughout his entire professional life) so that he would get votes. But that's a debate for a separate thread. He has, however, lived up to his attempt to implement extreme right wing policy, which goes against everything I stand for as a liberal. I think his charisma and personality were huge factors in winning. He spoke in a way that appears to be authentic, which a lot of people connected with. Unfortunately, I think in politics that's half the bottle. Policy is the other half.
I was a liberal Democrat like you. But some of us grow up or have a 30 year old son or daughter moves into our house and then expect us to support them for the rest of our lives. Then you learn quickly that liberalism does not work!

Liberals do have some good ideas like allowing women to have abortions; I do not want to turn back the hands of time or have Christianity a 'State religion'. At the same time I never want us to accept Sharia Law. I do want us to have laws that are fair to all.

As far as Trump and whether or not he is a con-man. I think of every other President as a con-man; they quickly forget why we elected them. They only bend the knee (if you watch the Game of Throwns) to rich supporters and that isn't us - look to the corporations, lobbyist and special interest. As far as Trump is concerned; he is going right down the list that got him elected and that is why he is not losing supporters. Of course he cannot accomplish everything he promised; but he has not given up in the face of all his opposition. We are blaming his opposition for not getting on his boat!

Old 08-26-2017, 10:45 AM

18,774 posts, read 18,267,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Where are the Democrats?!! We have the 3 federal government branches of govt in Republican hands. Our state is also in Repub hands without ANY elected DEM state govt executive posts since 1994!! Our federal Congressman Blake Farenthold in Corpus Christi is also a Repub. Not too many Dems in our neck of the woods to do anything.
And why is that? It is because you need ideas to make our lives better. Then you will get people like me that were Democrats to come back home!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:03 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,471,241 times
Al Franken, Amy Klochubar, Adam Schiff.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:20 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,393,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's going to be Hillary again in 2020. She's not allowing any candidate to "show up" and threaten her clear path back to the presidential election. She's got the money and the DNC is packed with her friends at this point...anyone trying to take that on is going to get hurt.

However anyone that gets in a debate with her can absolutely fry her by asking how long she's had to prepare for the questions.

P.S. I don't see Trump getting out of the primaries in 2020, if he even chooses to run.
I don’t think she’ll run again.

Unless irrefutable proof of a rigged election surfaces. She might run again, then.

I still doubt it.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I was a liberal Democrat like you. But some of us grow up or have a 30 year old son or daughter moves into our house and then expect us to support them for the rest of our lives. Then you learn quickly that liberalism does not work!

Liberals do have some good ideas like allowing women to have abortions; I do not want to turn back the hands of time or have Christianity a 'State religion'. At the same time I never want us to accept Sharia Law. I do want us to have laws that are fair to all.

As far as Trump and whether or not he is a con-man. I think of every other President as a con-man; they quickly forget why we elected them. They only bend the knee (if you watch the Game of Throwns) to rich supporters and that isn't us - look to the corporations, lobbyist and special interest. As far as Trump is concerned; he is going right down the list that got him elected and that is why he is not losing supporters. Of course he cannot accomplish everything he promised; but he has not given up in the face of all his opposition. We are blaming his opposition for not getting on his boat!
Oh, come on.

You forgot to tell us all to stay off your lawn.

I agree that people trend conservative as they grow older, but “growing up” has less to do with it than “wants to preserve the status quo for selfish reasons” does.

If your 30yo kid is mooching off you, that’s hardly political.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Al Franken, Amy Klochubar, Adam Schiff.
I really want Franken to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections