Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Boy, you really have an "ax to grind" with Hillary. What did she do to make you hate her so?
Because in order for her to win, apparently your side has to rip Michelle Obama apart for things she said that mean very little at all to normal people.

Hillary obviously cannot run an honest clean campaign and win. Obama was trying, you have to give him credit for that.

How about instead of attacking and smearing Michelle Obama for her benign and personal thoughts on her own personal experiences, we get the campaign back to issues.......let's see.....Obama tried to bring up NAFTA. Or is that off limits because Bill Clinton signed it and so it's devastation to the American workers is too unimportant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 04:01 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,195,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
It is currently a new period and many black students still feel this way, but there feelings should be disregarded and they are being too sensitive, yet they continue to excel against many odds that exist for them. Most college students need the social interaction and it can be quite difficult to accomplish at colleges that are predominantly white, whereas the experiences of white people who have attended black colleges are remarkably different.

To gain knowledge for oneself it would be beneficial for you to review studies done by those in the academia fields of College Student Personnel, Education, Sociology, Psychology, and Family Studies. Many of them both quantitative and qualitative will make for an interesting read. Reading scholarly information and not always being bombarded by the sensationalism of the media outlets will permit another perspective, but oh I forgot most people would rather be entertained by insignificant babbling and one sided opinionated rhetoric.

Who are YOU to say they're being too sensitive and THEIR feelings should be disregarded?

Old 03-15-2008, 04:36 PM

8,455 posts, read 12,220,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Being Jewish and living in Europe is very hard these days because muslims will spit on you if they know that you are jewish so it is back to 1935 and waiting for the next bad thing to happen. I feel much saver over here. The only difference is that blacks keep talking about it and you put fire on the subject by keep on mentioning it.
The Jews say "Never Again". The license tags in Quebec say "We Remember!" but black folks are just supposed to forget; while Danny Glover still can't get a cab in Manhattan.

Do you think things like residential segregation in Chicago just disappeared after the Civil Rights Act passed in 1964 or did Ms. Obama have the distinction of growing up in a racially-challenged city?

Its not like Obama has fielded a campaign stating: "Throw those white folks out!" so everyone take a deep breath and settle down.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The Jews say "Never Again". The license tags in Quebec say "We Remember!" but black folks are just supposed to forget; while Danny Glover still can't get a cab in Manhattan.

Do you think things like residential segregation in Chicago just disappeared after the Civil Rights Act passed in 1964 or did Ms. Obama have the distinction of growing up in a racially-challenged city?

Its not like Obama has fielded a campaign stating: "Throw those white folks out!" so everyone take a deep breath and settle down.

YouTube - Obama Denounces Controversial Remarks

Everyone at least needs to be fair and hear what Obama himself has to say about this.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:11 PM

27,221 posts, read 46,860,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post

No blacks have black history months which no other group has. We don't have a Jewish history month or remembering month and I'm perfectly okay with this. Nobody will say to black people (if they are in their right mind) "forget", but what the rev. is doing is getting racism back to the old times and other people can get bad feelings about that and that is nobodys best interest.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:28 PM

451 posts, read 311,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
The following quotes come from Newsweek magazine, in an article titled Barack's Rock, published 2/25/08, reprinted here for commentary under fair use:

Okay, but...

Hmm...then:

Interesting. We're starting to get a little more of the picture here.

Sounds like somebody has an axe to grind -- continuing:

I think these excerpts are quite revealing as to what the not-so-hidden sentiments of the Obama family are, taken in addition to what we know of the Obama's choice in religious institution.
These are very wise, sensible remarks from the future first lady mrs Obama,
I don't think that peolple of color need to supress their experiences, moreover these are not things of the past, ask Tiger Woods, and Michael Jordan.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,091,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
No blacks have black history months which no other group has. We don't have a Jewish history month or remembering month and I'm perfectly okay with this. Nobody will say to black people (if they are in their right mind) "forget", but what the rev. is doing is getting racism back to the old times and other people can get bad feelings about that and that is nobodys best interest.
Bentlebee
You have posted a lot of opinion as fact already, and flown a bit of rhetoric out there in the breeze.
I haven't called you on much of it, but I am calling you on it this time.
May has been Jewish heritage month for quite some time now.
Most people who have had some sort of Jewish education have some dim awareness of it. Before, it was *unofficially* the month for recognizing Jewish history, but in late April of last year, President Bush made it offical..
Judaism is more a religion than a race, and compared to black history it gets short shrift in schools--and I am okay with that.

The Reverend Wright made some berserko rants rants which erupted from years of racial prejudice and socioeconomic injustice that you and I will never have to put up with, and I suppose I have enough white guilt to let them slide--I'll take them over Tom Tancredo recommending we bomb mosques. But he has also said things with which I do not disagree. However, I agree, a rant is a rant--and Wright bowed out as he should.

There have been plenty of reverends making all sorts of crazy remarks.

Try this for size:
On FOX News Channel, Reverend Pat Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition of America, claimed that President George W. Bush won the 2004 presidential election because God preferred Bush over Senator John Kerry.
On FOX, Pat Robertson said of 2004 election: "George Bush has the favor of heaven"; "God has honored him" (http://mediamatters.org/items/200411050009 - broken link)
Earlier in the program, Robertson claimed he "misspoke" when he said, on the October 19 edition of CNN's Paula Zahn Now, that Bush told him "we're not going to have any casualties" in Iraq.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:01 PM

440 posts, read 330,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
My point is that you critisize Jews for " ...never allow the Holocaust to be forgotten" and yet give Rev Wright a complete pass. From what I saw of his sermons he is putting the onus on white america for not only slavery, but the lack of males in the black household (a consequense of the 'buck' system), 9-11, the mess in Africa......the list goes on and on.
No, noone is putting anyone on a cross for complaining about the horror that was slavery, the horror that was the Jim Crow laws. What is disturbing is the fact Rev Wright is using slavery as a basis to distrust all of modern day white america.
And that just doesn't jibe with Sen Obamas message of hope and change.
And I am bitterly disapointed. I had hopes to stop the political dynasties and maybe get an outsider in office that would have the balls to initiate change, and not try to get money for his presidential library.
What the hell are you ranting about? You need to go back and read your original post on this subject and then address whatever your true issues are and who they are with.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:01 PM

144 posts, read 336,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaching2thechoir View Post
My what sweeping generalizations you make all based solely on your opinion. While you are entitled to your opinion as a jewish person whose people will never allow the holocaust to be forgotten, your blanket assumptions, assessment and judgments in terms of how any black American should feel are shallow at best.

It is not blacks in America who perpetually bring up the racial inequalities that we face daily, we have learned to live with many of them, yet the minute one of us expresses our feelings publicly we are nailed to the cross. We have accepted the fact that many of the remnants of slavery can never be erased (i.e. selling of the black "buck" obliterating our family unit) and world wide racism and opinions and myths that have been formed about and against us as a result of it.

As for your opinion with regards to Condoleeza Rice, she's nothing more than a pawn of an administration that will probably go down as one of the most corrupt in the history of America. Yet you trumpet her "accomplishments"?
Not blacks in America who bring up racial inequalities...then you degrade Condoleeza Rice. Yes blacks continually bring up inequalities. And then when a black person does well out comes Uncle Tom references, ie Judge Thomas. Which way do you want it.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:04 PM

440 posts, read 330,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukePH View Post
Not blacks in America who bring up racial inequalities...then you degrade Condoleeza Rice. Yes blacks continually bring up inequalities. And then when a black person does well out comes Uncle Tom references, ie Judge Thomas. Which way do you want it.
How exactly do I "degrade" Condoleeza Rice? What comes out is my opinion and personal observation of the actions of Condoleeza Rice, the Uncle Tom reference is your assumption of my opinion of her, or perhaps its how you feel about her. In any event, please don't twist my words to suit your needs. Oh and for the record, I am not an Obama supporter. My opinions, support or non support of anyone is NOT based on race, contrary to the unpopular opinions of far too many parties of other races and ethnicities. I don't play the race card. As we say in the black community I call a spade a spade.

Last edited by Preaching2thechoir; 03-15-2008 at 07:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections