Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:30 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times

Advertisements

Are both of these space cadets going to run in the general election? If so, Paul will be an irritant to McCain and Nader to the dem candidate.

But it seems to me that Paul will garner more votes. Will he be the dagger to McCain becomming president?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 01:42 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Nope. Paul will most likely stay with the GOP through the convention. His supporters are now focused on getting delegate spots to the convention to change the party platform back to pre 9/11 values. We're also working to get Ron Paul Republicans installed into Congress.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:35 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,840,120 times
It's an interesting strategy. Try and repair the party within (since the GOP is rotted from the core) or start a new "conservative" party. Obviously Paul is trying the former. I don't know the numbers of actual republicans are of Paul's mindset and see that a total re-tooling of the GOP to it's conservative roots is needed BADLY, but I would be interested to know. I would also like to know how many republicans left the party, like me, because of the sad shape it's in? McCain's elevation to the top maybe (hopefully) the neo-cons last gasp to run the GOP. Hence Paul's efforts to build constitutional conservatives within and get them to congress. The real test is making sure the Paul group in congress doesn't get poisoned with neo-con flu like so many other conservatives did just after they were elected. Good luck Paul.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:39 PM

Paul is an odd, but interesting, person. Maybe, like Howard Dean, he will try and become chairman of the republican party.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Ron paul has said time and time again that he wil not ru as a independant.Nader is running.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:47 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Unless and until there is a proportional representation system in the US, anyone with common sense realizes that an independent (with few exceptions) or third-party strategy does not win elections*.

Ron Paul has common sense and he realizes that, so his strategy is to gain influence within the republican party and win Congressional seats.

*It may be argued that the Ross Perot campaign in, what was it, 1992, helped towards achieving a balanced budget later in the 1990s, but obviously he did not win the election.

Probably the only way the US would adopt a proportional representation system would be in the aftermath of some national catastrophe that totally discredited the two-party system ... chronic deficits, unrealistic promises of the welfare and ownership society, voting to fund foreign wars despite promises to end wars, huge loss of manufacturing jobs, suicidal monetary and credit policies, a clear defeat in a major foreign energy war, an attack on or invasion of the mainland?

But the US is too socially fractious for a proportional representation system to produce governability, so in the wake of disaster, some sort of dictatorship would be the most likely outcome.

The preferred path, then, is for common sense to prevail and attempt to reform both parties from within, both focusing on economic and responsible fiscal balance in the framework of reality, before a real catastrophe strikes.

It's not too late, but history shows that leaders indeed do lead entire nations and empires into disaster and catastrophe.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Unless and until there is a proportional representation system in the US, anyone with common sense realizes that an independent (with few exceptions) or third-party strategy does not win elections*.

Ron Paul has common sense and he realizes that, so his strategy is to gain influence within the republican party and win Congressional seats.

*It may be argued that the Ross Perot campaign in, what was it, 1992, helped towards achieving a balanced budget later in the 1990s, but obviously he did not win the election.

Probably the only way the US would adopt a proportional representation system would be in the aftermath of some national catastrophe that totally discredited the two-party system ... chronic deficits, unrealistic promises of the welfare and ownership society, voting to fund foreign wars despite promises to end wars, huge loss of manufacturing jobs, suicidal monetary and credit policies, a clear defeat in a major foreign energy war, an attack on or invasion of the mainland?

But the US is too socially fractious for a proportional representation system to produce governability, so in the wake of disaster, some sort of dictatorship would be the most likely outcome.

The preferred path, then, is for common sense to prevail and attempt to reform both parties from within, both focusing on economic and responsible fiscal balance in the framework of reality, before a real catastrophe strikes.

It's not too late, but history shows that leaders indeed do lead entire nations and empires into disaster and catastrophe.
Very interesting post. My personal views are that our two parties have become so special interest oriented, and that it is a mirror image of society in general, that a common sense party simply cannot compete. It gets bludgeoned to death by both sides.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
... a common sense party simply cannot compete. It gets bludgeoned to death by both sides.
That's one of the reasons why I don't become involved in politics. It really is scary.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
That's one of the reasons why I don't become involved in politics. It really is scary.
Do you vote?

Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Do you vote?
Never bothered. I would almost certainly register to vote for the express purpose of blocking Hillary, but if it came to McCain-Obama, I'd have to decide whether it's worth getting out of my chair ... maybe for a Ron Paul congressional candidate if available in my district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections