Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:28 AM

116 posts, read 436,754 times

Advertisements

America is going into a peroid of economic crisis that will challenge our leaders like never in history outside maybe the great depression. But in the mean time the election is about a crazy minister and possible racial slights by an old Vice Presidential Candidate from 20 years ago. Who ever our next President is, he or she will face problems more severe than almost any time in our nations history. Why is the election so crazy when the issues facing us so severe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 04:10 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,269,524 times
you hear that every election ie. the greatest crisis of our time

Old 03-17-2008, 04:26 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I agree that we have problems .But tihs recession is nothing like the one in 70's so far. We had double digit inflation;gas prices tripled;a crisis in Iran and high unemployment. In fact I doubt it is as bad as the 80's recession. Politics is ways about the person running since you really can't count on their promises. This election they are making more promises that can be fulfill than ever tho.This of course is nothing like the recession and certainly wwII;korea and vietnam make the Iraq war look like s small conflict as far as casualties.I do thik we have a crisis were the work force is very uneducated to do the gobal jobs available to teh poinbt that companies are bring in educated foreign workers. many in the manufacturing part will go from middle class to lower and poor class.In the end thigns will work out and go on.But it is crazy that people think that electing the right president can solve their problems or the countrie as they have little control over tha economy.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:59 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I agree that we have problems .But tihs recession is nothing like the one in 70's so far. We had double digit inflation;gas prices tripled;a crisis in Iran and high unemployment. In fact I doubt it is as bad as the 80's recession. Politics is ways about the person running since you really can't count on their promises. This election they are making more promises that can be fulfill than ever tho.This of course is nothing like the recession and certainly wwII;korea and vietnam make the Iraq war look like s small conflict as far as casualties.I do thik we have a crisis were the work force is very uneducated to do the gobal jobs available to teh poinbt that companies are bring in educated foreign workers. many in the manufacturing part will go from middle class to lower and poor class.In the end thigns will work out and go on.But it is crazy that people think that electing the right president can solve their problems or the countrie as they have little control over tha economy.
Sorry, I disagree... I think the President has a heck of ALOT of power... more than anyone else. Bush decided to start a senseless war that has cost us dearly. Remember.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:15 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
America is going into a peroid of economic crisis that will challenge our leaders like never in history outside maybe the great depression. But in the mean time the election is about a crazy minister and possible racial slights by an old Vice Presidential Candidate from 20 years ago. Who ever our next President is, he or she will face problems more severe than almost any time in our nations history. Why is the election so crazy when the issues facing us so severe?
Because it is crucial who we have in powerful positions... they make the important decisions that dominate our nation and our lives. The point here is elect the experienced candidate that can help us the most... that person just happens to be Hillary Clinton "A WOMAN" and her husband just happens to be "A CHEAT"... who cares... he also just happens to be one of the smartest guys around... the important thing is the State of the Nation and who can best lead us out of this hole Bush has dug for us. I don't care if the president is black, white, man or woman... I just want the most competent, proven, toughest, smartest, experienced person in the White House and as far as I am concerned the Hillary/Bill/whoever team will help Ameria and Americans the most. McCain and Obama are not up for the job and will only cause more caous.
Hillary is focused and knows what to do ON DAY ONE and that is what we need... sorry that she just happens to be a woman.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:24 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Sorry, I disagree... I think the President has a heck of ALOT of power... more than anyone else. Bush decided to start a senseless war that has cost us dearly. Remember.
Uh, nooooooooooooooooooo, the president alone cannot start a war. He had congress to approve it- both sides of congress I might add.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:30 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Alan Greenspan:
"The current financial crisis in the US is likely to be judged in retrospect as the most wrenching since the end of the second world war. It will end eventually when home prices stabilize and with them the value of equity in homes supporting troubled mortgage securities."
FT.com / Comment & analysis / Comment - We will never have a perfect model of risk

I think it's time for the presidential debate to move on to more important issues.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:37 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,269,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Alan Greenspan:
"The current financial crisis in the US is likely to be judged in retrospect as the most wrenching since the end of the second world war. It will end eventually when home prices stabilize and with them the value of equity in homes supporting troubled mortgage securities."
FT.com / Comment & analysis / Comment - We will never have a perfect model of risk

I think it's time for the presidential debate to move on to more important issues.
LOL the president cant help this !!! he can make it worse though!! Greenspan presided over most of this greed and false inflation so the bubble has to burst sometime!!

"keeping up with the Joneses can be a hazardous occupation"

Old 03-17-2008, 06:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Alan Greenspan:

Amen.
Healthcare and the underinsured
Bush vetoes children's healthcare expansion
Iraq Body Count
Iraq Coalition Casualties (http://icasualties.org/oif/ - broken link)

Old 03-17-2008, 07:13 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
We really need to blame our national media (and ourselves) for this. The candidates will discuss the issues, only if the media demands it. The media wants to run Jerry Springer politics because they believe it's what we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections