Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:19 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,346,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
So in other words, your ad hominem attacks should take precedence over substantive arguments. A desire to continue wallowing in the mythology that parades itself as American history should take precedence over actual historical research, callous disregard for the lives of fellow US citizens should take precedence over empathy or understanding.
There is nothing "ad hominem" about identifying a racist bigot and the harm he is doing to Obama's candidacy. You may indulge yourself with apocalyptic fantasies about the United States; my interest is in the viability of America's first black Presidential candidate.

Quote:
Rev. Wright hasn't tarnished the candidacy of Barack Obama, you have. Your fake outrage only serves as an excuse to distance yourself from Obama, which is probably something that you've been trying to do since he first started to run, but couldn't find anything damaging on the guy until now. Your tactics are obvious.
My "fake outrage", as you solipsistically put it, stems from my philosophical commitment to the Obama candidacy from Day One of this campaign. Do you think that you can somehow turn this into a winning strategy for Senator Obama? Exactly how do you intend to bring back the voters who are not only appalled by the racist bigotry of Wright, but now seriously doubt the judgement of Senator Obama by his twenty-year association with a man who expresses nothing but hatred for our country and for the people needed to elect Obama to national office?

You may be winning the battle in your own mind, but I assure you that "Reverend" Wright has lost the war for Obama.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 03-17-2008 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Romans were Italian? Was there such a place called Italy back then??? Was there such a place called Europe, where these so called Europeans were???
Wright is not ust a racist hate-mongerer, but an ignoramus as well.

How utterly appalling this tripe is....

Old 03-17-2008, 02:28 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,810,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
It is racism.
If the quotes were turned and said by a white man about black people, everyone would scream and yell.
Racism knows no color. I have seen African Americans be just as racist toward whites, Latino's, Asian, etc. as whites have been toward African Americans in the past.
Jeremiah Wright's quotes (and there are MANY, MANY more) are plain and simple hate-mongering and racist.
And what would would a white person say?? That black people do not know what it feels like to be raised as a white person in this country??? or What it feels like to get 25 yrs for being bursted with small amounts of crack??? What it feels like for white person to be questioned for driving a nice car in a wrong neighborhood??? Was what he said racist?, No. Does racism exist in this country? Absolutely. And all he did is put that message out there in its purity.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
And what would would a white person say?? That black people do not know what it feels like to be raised as a white person in this country??? or What it feels like to get 25 yrs for being bursted with small amounts of crack??? What it feels like for white person to be questioned for driving a nice car in a wrong neighborhood??? Was what he said racist?, No. Does racism exist in this country? Absolutely. And all he did is put that message out there in its purity.
All of this hateful bickering just proves the validity of the point that I repeatedy made in this thread and those related to this topic: Wright's use of vulgar and ignorant bigotry has doomed Obama's candidacy by once again dividing America along racial lines.

The Democrat party is blowing it, big time, by engaging in this philosophical balkanization.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:38 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,799,596 times
Obama is giving a major speech tomorrow on race. Apparently he has been up late working on it. It should be interesting.

Obama plans 'major' speech on race - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,870,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
What it feels like to get 25 yrs for being bursted with small amounts of crack???
Ummm....here's one for you. If you don't want to go to jail for any amount of time, then don't do drugs! I don't care if someone is black or white or what kind of drugs they do. The fact that our values have declined to the point that we argue about the length of time in prison for white drug users vs black drug users is absurb. The arguement should be simply, don't do drugs, no matter what race you are.

What values are we teaching our kids?

Old 03-17-2008, 02:54 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,799,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Ummm....here's one for you. If you don't want to go to jail for any amount of time, then don't do drugs! I don't care if someone is black or white or what kind of drugs they do. The fact that our values have declined to the point that we argue about the length of time in prison for white drug users vs black drug users is absurb. The arguement should be simply, don't do drugs, no matter what race you are.

What values are we teaching our kids?
OK, Mrs. Reagan. Can we get back to reality now? "Just say No" hasn't and won't work, and it certainly skirts the issue at hand: racism in sentencing drug offenders.

Racism and the Drug War

Old 03-17-2008, 02:59 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,584,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
OK, Mrs. Reagan. Can we get back to reality now? "Just say No" hasn't and won't work, and it certainly skirts the issue at hand: racism in sentencing drug offenders.

Racism and the Drug War
What's so wrong about telling others not to do drugs? My goodness, enough with the racial crap

Old 03-17-2008, 03:25 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Maybe all of this hysteria over Wright's seven-year-old remarks will, in the long run, prove to be a plus for Obama's campaign. After all, the paleolithics who still claim that Obama is a muslim will now be faced with having to choose: is Obama a Christian who attended this church for decades, baptized his daughters there, and was married there? Or is he a stealth muslim because of his middle name?
I raised this very issue elsewhere. And, as you might expect, the paleolithics (I like that one) virtually ignored it. But with this latest bait offering, they inadvertently concede that he attends a Christian church.

But there is an opportunity here. According to some reports, Barack will be speaking on the topics of race tomorrow. As expected, he will not only denounce the sentiment that so many are frightened and concerned about, he will speak to the desires for assurances that he is not the kind of man that political operatives seek to portray him as (via his pastor's inflammatory and objectionable language.)

Now, does that mean that those who were looking for (and gleefully found) a reason to fear, loathe and distrust Obama, will be persuaded that he doesn't subscribe to that line of thinking? No. They'd rather embrace the stereotype that feeds their sensibilities, rather than the truth that threatens their sensibilities.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:41 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,639,484 times
They'd rather embrace the stereotype that feeds their sensibilities, rather than the truth that threatens their sensibilities.

This is such a great line and is true. Maybe it is a good thing that this whole thing blew up (eveb though Obama spoke about it in Jan.) so that feeings can be put on the table and hashed out.

I didn't hear al of the speeches the Rev. gave but some of the things he said were true (the cab, growing up, etc) I think some people who never had those experiences think it didn't happen.

Also, I hope that more peope would stop thinking that this church is representative of all black people and their churches. This kind of thinking is what keeps fueling the stereotypes and if it doesn't stop things will never get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections