Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]"Our government officials continue to endorse, in general, economic interventionism, interventionist control of individuals, a careless disregard for our property rights, and an interventionist foreign policy. The ideas of liberty for the individual, freedom for the markets, both domestic and international, sound money, and a foreign policy of strategic independence based on strength are no longer popularly endorsed by our national leaders. Yet support by many Americans for these policies exists. The current conflict is over which view will prevail.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The concept of rights is rarely defined, since there is minimal concern for them as an issue in itself. Rights have become nothing more than the demands of special-interest groups to use government coercion to extract goods and services from one group for the benefit of another. The moral concept of one's natural right to life and liberty without being molested by State intervention in one's pursuit of happiness is all but absent in Washington. Carelessly the Congress has accepted the concept of "public interest" as being superior to "individual liberty" in directing their actions. But the "public" is indefinite and its definition varies depending on who and which special interest is defining it. It's used merely as an excuse to victimize one individual for the benefit of another. The dictatorship of the majority, now a reality, is our greatest threat to the concept of equal rights[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Careless disregard for liberty allows the government to violate the basic premise of a free society; there shall be no initiation of force by anyone, particularly government. Use of force for personal and national self-defense against initiators of violence is its only proper use in a moral and free society. Unfortunately this premise is rejected – and not even understood – in its entirety in Washington. The result is that we have neither a moral nor a free society.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Rejecting the notion that government should not coerce and force people to act against their wishes prompts Congress to assume the role of central economic and social planner. Government is used for everything from subsidized farming to protecting cab monopolies; from the distribution of food stamps to health care; from fixing the price of labor to fixing the price of gasoline. Always the results are the same, opposite to what was intended: chaos, confusion, inefficiency, additional costs and lines.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The more that is spent on housing or unemployment problems, the worse the housing and unemployment problems become. Proof that centralized economic planning always fails, regardless of the good intentions behind it, is available to us. It is tragic that we continue to ignore it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Our intervention and meddling to satisfy the powerful well-heeled special interests have created a hostile atmosphere, a vicious struggle for a shrinking economic pie distributed by our ever-growing inefficient government bureaucracy. Regional class, race, age and sex disputes polarize the nation. This probably will worsen until we reject the notion that central planning works.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As nations lose respect for liberty, so too do they lose respect for individual responsibility. Laws are passed proposing no-fault insurance for injuries for which someone in particular was responsible. Remote generations are required to pay a heavy price for violations of civil liberties that occurred to the blacks, to the Indians, and to Japanese-Americans. This is done only at the expense of someone else's civil liberties and in no way can be justified[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Collective rights – group fights, in contrast to individual rights – prompt laws based on collective guilt for parties not responsible for causing any damage. The Superfund is a typical example of punishing innocent people for damages caused by government /business. Under a system of individual rights where initiation of force is prohibited, this would not occur.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Short-run solutions enhance political careers and motivate most legislation in Washington, to the country's detriment. Apparent economic benefits deceive many Members into supporting legislation that in the long run is devastating to the economy. Politics unfortunately is a short-run game – the next election. Economics is a long-run game and determines the prosperity and the freedoms of the next generation. Sacrificing future wealth for present indulgence is done at the expense of liberty for the individual."[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
The best political speech of all time is short, precise, and attributed to an American Indian (either real or fiction);
"White man speak with forked tongue!"

Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The best political speech of all time is short, precise, and attributed to an American Indian (either real or fiction);
"White man speak with forked tongue!"
Too funny.

Ken

Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Reagan speech in 1964 which still applies today. I most importantly want Americans to remember who we are, what liberty is and how we must at all costs save ourselves from our government. I have chopped up the speech to drive home the facts of the speech. A Government big enough to give you everything is big enough to take everything away.
Miller Center of Public Affairs - Ronald Reagan Speeches (http://millercenter.org/scripps/digitalarchive/speechDetail/32 - broken link)

Listening to it makes me understand why Reagan is viewed by Conservatives the way he is. It wasn't really an endorsement of Goldwater, it was a speech about how Liberalism as defined in 1964 was incapable of producing the results promised. It's a great speech, especially if you listen to Reagan's own voice.

A Time for Choosing.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:44 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,760 times
Even though I was only 9 when Reagan took office, I remember watching his State of the Union addresses with my grandmother. I LOVED listening to him talk. Even though I really didn't understand a lot of it until later. He was just an AWESOME man all the way around and very fine President. Too bad we don't have people of his caliber running anymore.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:02 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
Quote:
Reagan speech in 1964 which still applies today. I most importantly want Americans to remember who we are, what liberty is and how we must at all costs save ourselves from our government. I have chopped up the speech to drive home the facts of the speech. A Government big enough to give you everything is big enough to take everything away.
Thank you - I had not yet heard this speech.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:17 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:

Damn, LibertyandJustice, I see you beat me to it. This speech to me is the best I've ever heard. I think it proved to be the catalyst for Reagan's ascension 12 years later.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Reagan - Farewell Address (City on the Hill)

JFK - "Ask not"

MLK - "Dream"

MLK - "Mountaintop" on the Eve of his Assassination

Abe Lincoln "Gettysburg Address"
I agree, these were all great speeches. Obama's speech yesterday was nowhere close to being of the same caliber. And the delivery was lackluster, and how the speech was spoken in an important factor in how a speech is graded. In fact, I was thinking that I wouldn't want Obama being my defense lawyer and delivering the closing arguments. There was just no passion in yesterday's speech.

In addition, how much of Obama's speech was written by him? How much was written by his speechwriters like David Axelrod or perhaps he got more help from Deval Patrick. Obama's whole campaign is built on carefully written rhetoric and is an artificial as any great Hollywood movie production. I love Jack Nicholson, Harrison Ford and Al Pacino on the silver screen, but I also know that it's the characters they play that I love, and not them in real life. It's those talented screenwriters and directors that make them so charismatic.

And who wouldn't want a president like Josiah Barlet in The West Wing? Or what about Jed Marshall in the movie Air Force One? But no way would I actually vote for Martin Sheen or Harrison Ford for president in real life. But in the movies, they sure seem like they make amazing presidents.

Quote:
They also share an important friend, Democratic consultant David Axelrod, a political wordsmith and admaker who helped Patrick become governor of Massachusetts and who is now a key player in the run for president by Obama, a senator from Illinois.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Default Reagan Time For Choosing

As LibertyandJusticeforall states, this has to rank at the very top. Read it all, it's really important.

Ronald Reagan-A Time for Choosing (http://www.reaganlibrary.com/reagan/speeches/rendezvous.asp - broken link)

YouTube - A Time For Choosing

Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
It was a good speech, but not great.

Also, add to your list Lincoln's second inagural:

"with malice towards none, and charity towards all..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections