Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:55 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,363,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I am ok with paying for those who can't take care of themselves due to being fully disabled.

However a flat tax per person on all others is fair.

Who can afford it should never be government's decision nor what interests them.

Charities should care about that stuff.
But charities don't have enough money to cover what's needed now even with social programs available.

That perspective leaves so many people to fall through the cracks. Do you care so little for your fellow Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 08:58 PM

18,480 posts, read 15,272,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I find that all a bit hypocritical. You have enough time to criticize and lack empathy for those worse off than you but are unwilling to scrutinize those on the other end. If you're going to look at one, you should take time to consider the other side of the spectrum as well. If you were truly only concerned about your own bottom line then you wouldn't have a lack of sympathy for the poor either.

There's a double standard with what you think.
What I think is that you are making a false equivalence.

The statement about the CVS worker was completely different than, and unrelated to, the statement about the wealthy investor, but you are treating them as if they were opposing arguments.

If the wealthy investor who doesn’t work was wondering why he isn’t making more money than he is, I wouldn’t have sympathy for him any more than the poor guy.

If they guy working at CVS found a legal way to pay less taxes, I wouldn’t begrudge him that either. Good for him, just like the rich guy.

This is totally consistent, which is the opposite of hypocritical.

Oh, and as to that last sentence of the first paragraph? It is not logical. If I was only concerned about my bottom line then I WOULD have a lack of sympathy. That is what it means to only be concerned with my bottom line. Showing sympathy for someone else’s bottom line is the exact opposite of only caring about my bottom line.

Quote:
BTW a flat tax rate would never work. You should probably research it a bit more. How could you justify taxing old or disabled people on a fixed income at the same rate as someone making $1M? Or a teacher making $35k a year the same rate as you? How is that really fair?
A flat tax seems fair to me. The progressive taxation system never seemed fair to me. The IRS should treat us all the same. Figure out a percentage that brings in the revenue needed, and charge everyone that percentage. What could be more fair?

It seems to me as though you think I should have sympathy for the poor, and animosity towards the rich. I just don’t think like that.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 01-04-2018 at 09:35 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 02:50 AM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
But charities don't have enough money to cover what's needed now even with social programs available.

That perspective leaves so many people to fall through the cracks. Do you care so little for your fellow Americans?
I tithe. Do you?

Old 01-05-2018, 06:03 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,363,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What I think is that you are making a false equivalence.

The statement about the CVS worker was completely different than, and unrelated to, the statement about the wealthy investor, but you are treating them as if they were opposing arguments.

If the wealthy investor who doesn’t work was wondering why he isn’t making more money than he is, I wouldn’t have sympathy for him any more than the poor guy.

If they guy working at CVS found a legal way to pay less taxes, I wouldn’t begrudge him that either. Good for him, just like the rich guy.

This is totally consistent, which is the opposite of hypocritical.

Oh, and as to that last sentence of the first paragraph? It is not logical. If I was only concerned about my bottom line then I WOULD have a lack of sympathy. That is what it means to only be concerned with my bottom line. Showing sympathy for someone else’s bottom line is the exact opposite of only caring about my bottom line.
This is a discussion about taxes. You’re willing to look at and criticize people who are taxed lower than you but when asked if you’ve done the same for the entire system it is suddenly “I’m only concerned about my bottom lineâ€. That is a lie. You can’t really talk yourself out of it now, it’s too late. Plus none of what you said really shows that you’re not hypocritical.

Quote:
A flat tax seems fair to me. The progressive taxation system never seemed fair to me. The IRS should treat us all the same. Figure out a percentage that brings in the revenue needed, and charge everyone that percentage. What could be more fair?

It seems to me as though you think I should have sympathy for the poor, and animosity towards the rich. I just don’t think like that.
I don’t think that sympathy or animosity is required anywhere. I do think logical and supported stances that will continue to allow our government to run should be the basis of ones opinion. Claiming you support a flat tax means you believe a teacher making $35k a year should be paying a quarter of their income in federal taxes? And with a flat tax rate that may still not be enough and lead to even more budget shortfalls (https://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/11/gop-...ot-add-up.html). I really question just how much research you’ve done on flat tax. Taking a quarter of someone’s income when their income is low is not the same as taking a quarter of the income of someone making even $200,000. It is not fair.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:15 AM

18,480 posts, read 15,272,470 times
Quote:
This is a discussion about taxes. You’re willing to look at and criticize people who are taxed lower than you but when asked if you’ve done the same for the entire system it is suddenly “I’m only concerned about my bottom lineâ€. That is a lie. You can’t really talk yourself out of it now, it’s too late. Plus none of what you said really shows that you’re not hypocritical.
When you come up with illogical conclusions, I have no idea how to respond. I will say the sky is blue, and you will say “You are lying! The sky is not blue, it tastes like tangerinesâ€.

How do I respond to that?

Old 01-06-2018, 04:46 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,383,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I tithe. Do you?
The value of tithing depends upon how honest the church is and how efficient they are with the money donated to their coffers. Some churches manage finances much better than others.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:07 PM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
The value of tithing depends upon how honest the church is and how efficient they are with the money donated to their coffers. Some churches manage finances much better than others.
Outside charities for me.

With audited reports.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:02 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,382,426 times
Quote:
The National Debt is awful ....
Why exactly is it AnesthesiaMD's responsibility to pay more than you or I to fix that? I doubt he ran up the deficit.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,383,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Why exactly is it AnesthesiaMD's responsibility to pay more than you or I to fix that? I doubt he ran up the deficit.
Because he is making big bucks. The rich have gotten a lot richer during the recovery from the recession.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:58 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,189,132 times
Quote:
Because he is making big bucks. The rich have gotten a lot richer during the recovery from the recession.
So he got rich under Obamas watch... How come It's ok Obama wasn't Robinhood but it's not ok Trimp isn't??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections