Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:40 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,290,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think you know that people don't pick their governor the same way they pick their president. Crime and state taxes, for example, are more likely to be higher on their list issues for their governor vote vs their vote for president. War is not going to impact their vote for governor (another example).

Federal government workers typically vote their paychecks. Democrats tend to give bigger annual raises and increase the size of the federal government. That's why, in my opinion, northern Virginia is blue as is the more populated counties of MD and of course, DC.
Your comments may be true, but it’s not germane to the topic of Chesterfield county. Chesterfield is in the Richmond Metro, not NOVA. What we don’t know for sure is how much of the movement in a county like Chesterfield is a reaction to Trump and how much is unique to Virginia. Only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 04:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
But anyone who follows politics and election strategies knows that gerrymandering and voter suppression, voter ID laws, voters' access to the polls--all have been topics of controversy and adjudication for the past 5-6 years--maybe longer in some areas...

In my state (TX) there have been plenty of examples and several cases brought against the state legislature... because our GOP legislature coupled with a GOP governor have worked in concert to create rules that make it more difficult for certain groups of voters to use their powe at the ballot box...One case re gerrymandering was heard before the Supreme Court earlier this year--still waiting for decision outcome on that...

The governor has much to do with the legislature's action on things like that
A GOP governor in concert with a GOP legislature is more likely to be successful in that regard
A Democratic governor can veto bills that seem to advance the cause of gerrymandering or voter suppression--and thwart legislative action trying to limit voters' access and power...

Any aspect of election law --for state and federal elections--come through the state legislature
I guess a city can set/amend local election laws as long as they don't supersede state laws for state/national elections or violate Constitutional rights of voters--and I think some cities' laws have been challenged in past as unConstitutional...but can't give examples right now...

So, IMO, the choice of a state's governor CAN have a direct impact on national politics and reflect voters' attitudes about national politics...
Plus it wasn't only the governor who was elected from the Democratic Party if I remember the news...don't know if any state reps were from the county in question...

Old 11-27-2017, 05:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I guess Roy Moore's race will tell how that works as well as Chesterfield County.
Birmingham, AL is a mix of race, income, and education---
It has one of the best respected medical complexes in the US and the world from what I have read... There are many people who have moved there from other areas in the US. Certainly areas normally regarded as "liberal"... And I don't see how most of them having a scientific background can ignore Moore's behavior as a predator/stalker...while not everyone in Birmingham is a medical professional...that town more than most seems like the county you refer to...

I know that one town can't carry an entire state---
And Alabama is still more rural than urban or suburban...
But my eyes will be on Birmingham's vote count...
And remember Roy Moore won his second judicial election by a very small margin...

I just think in a state like Alabama when you know you are voting AGAINST the person that is considered the nominal choice, you don't make a big deal about it--
Because I live in TX which is much the same except specific urban areas...

You don't put that person's sign in your yard or on your car
You don't respond to telephone polls or talk about it after church and you don't even tell your neighbors or your family unless you KNOW they are voting like you are--for the opposing camp...
You just lay low and go into the voting booth and cast that vote in secret which is your right and protection in exercising your conscience...

So I am hoping that many consciences are exercised in Alabama Dec 12...
Nope, Birmingham will go Blue, and it will probably be close to 65/35.

The Counties to watch are the next 2 most populous. Mobile(city and county) and Madison(huntsville).

Old 11-27-2017, 06:05 PM

So you mean Mobile and Huntsville are more Republican normally and if they go for Smith that is sign of shift away from Trump?
Does Birmingham usually go blue then?

Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
So you mean Mobile and Huntsville are more Republican normally and if they go for Smith that is sign of shift away from Trump?
Jefferson County Alabama (Birmingham) was carried by Clinton 52-44% while the state as a whole was carried overwhelmingly by Trump (62%-34%). In the 2012 census, the city of Birmingham had about 212,000 people of whom 65% were black. Birmingham is the county seat of Jefferson County, which had a 2010 population of 658,000 with about 40% being black.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/

Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Doug Jones is Moore's opponent. I think if he wins typically Republican counties like Mobile and Madison, that would be because Moore is a uniquely bad candidate - not due to any shift away from Trump. Moore's strength will be in the rural areas anyway, more so than the metro counties. Metro Birmingham is only blue in the large central county (Jefferson), while the balance of the region is extremely red.

Shelby County in the Birmingham suburbs is somewhat like Chesterfield in its characteristics, but Alabama is far more conservative than Virginia. Maybe if Republican performance erodes in prosperous suburban areas then Shelby will become competitive in the 2030s or 2040s. Not such a crazy notion considering how Chesterfield voted a few decades ago.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 PM

I looked at that link--the color legend seems confusing
BLUE is for Trump/GOP
RED is for Clinton
Confusing since "blue states" normally mean Democratic since 2000 election
And when you look at the map Birmingham looks "blue" which according to the color legend means it went for Trump...

Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think you know that people don't pick their governor the same way they pick their president. Crime and state taxes, for example, are more likely to be higher on their list issues for their governor vote vs their vote for president. War is not going to impact their vote for governor (another example).

Federal government workers typically vote their paychecks. Democrats tend to give bigger annual raises and increase the size of the federal government. That's why, in my opinion, northern Virginia is blue as is the more populated counties of MD and of course, DC.
Chesterfield County is a suburban county south of Richmond, so the federal government argument doesn't work. Also the movement has been on the Presidential level as well, Bush won it by 26 in 2004, Trump won it by 2.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:31 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
BLUE is for Trump/GOP
RED is for Clinton
And when you look at the map Birmingham looks "blue" which according to the color legend means it went for Trump...
I'm familiar with that site. They have been creating maps since well before the 2000 election, so just kept the color scheme how they had it.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
BLUE is for Trump/GOP
RED is for Clinton
On Dave Leip’s election website, he started using red for Democrats and blue for Republicans long before the reverse became universal. So it is the reverse of what you normally see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections