Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 05:53 PM

993 posts, read 768,151 times

Advertisements

Anecdotally.....my daughter lives in northeastern NC. Very rural, southern baptist area. My daughter and NC family attend church most Sundays. Unemployment is high...that’s an ongoing challenge.

I think everyone in her huge extended family voted for Trump. But now these same voters are worried about healthcare. Many believe they were lied to about the tax cut. I don’t,won’t discuss politics with them. But these are the murmurings I’m hearing. I’m surprised. Most of the women....about 15 in the group I was in....are repulsed by Trump and we’re quite vocal in their displeasure.

This is just one little family in NE NC. Who knows? But the enthusiasm has flipped 180 from this time last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 06:40 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,339,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Anecdotally.....my daughter lives in northeastern NC. Very rural, southern baptist area. My daughter and NC family attend church most Sundays. Unemployment is high...that’s an ongoing challenge.

I think everyone in her huge extended family voted for Trump. But now these same voters are worried about healthcare. Many believe they were lied to about the tax cut.
They were lied to about the tax cut? How so?

Old 12-25-2017, 11:27 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,339,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Many believe they were lied to about the tax cut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
They were lied to about the tax cut? How so?
Still waiting for an answer, mountain.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:51 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,305,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsgjdennis View Post
Here she goes again with all the "White People are dying" garbage so they don't matter. I HIGHLY suggest everyone check out her post history. It's nothing but this and "WHITE MEN ARE EVIL". She refused to say what her ethnicity is but I think we can call guess. Anyway don't bother responding to her. She obviously doesn't know her butthole from a hole in the ground.
“She” is a 69 year old white man.

I don’t hate old, white men at all, since I am one, but I’m smart enough to read demographic tables and know that a party that specifically targets old, resentful, white men doesn’t have a great future, unless it totally changes it's policies and focuses on attracting a younger and more diverse, demographic. The longer the GOP goes before shifting their focus to attracting a more diverse, and also a younger, better educated, and less racially driven white electorate, the more difficulty they will have in the long run in a country that becomes more diverse and better educated with the passage of each year.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 12-26-2017 at 12:14 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 02:57 PM

993 posts, read 768,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Still waiting for an answer, mountain.
Didn’t bother to read this thread until now. No need to stalk me, got it? The gist of the conversation I heard was this:

They are repulsed by Trump and his tweets. His apparent lack of integrity and mocking of others. They thought he would “calm down and act presidential” after the election. They are stunned by his continued “whining” and “vileness.” They don’t believe he is working in their best interest unless he is personally rewarded as well.

They think the tax cut is a long con. They admitted they might see small gains early on but those will be wiped away after Trump (they didn’t refer to republicans, just to Trump) decreases to Medicare and social security benefits in the future. They believe Trump has lied to them. They don’t trust him anymore based on what they’ve seen this past year.

Let me reiterate....I’m sure they all voted for Trump and I know they all watch Fox News. This is why I was so surprised by the turn of the conversation. This is a rural community of loving, decent people. They all go to the same Baptist Church.

The area has been decimated by companies moving overseas. Unemployment is high. They help each other. The last thing they believe in is trickle down economic theories. They’ve had years of being left high and dry by local industry. They are bitter.

Keep in mind, this is a lower income community. Think that through. They don’t have a lot of investments. Yes, they will get some money back initially but they aren’t stupid. Based on what they’ve been through....and I heard it more than once.....they believe the wealthy will benefit and they will get crumbs.

They've all seen what lack of healthcare does to families and communities. Many have healthcare through the ACA. They don’t like it, but without it, they would have nothing. Trump's trashing of the ACA worries them.

I have family in Northridge, if that is where you live. If you’ve always lived in that area, you wouldn’t understand how remarkable this conversation was. You have to understand southern, rural communities. A few of the women admitted to being ashamed that they had voted for Trump.

Last edited by homeonthelittlemountain; 12-27-2017 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections