Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 01:27 AM

41 posts, read 53,479 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My name's Sean! I'm 25 years old, and I've got autism. Even though I don't live in Philadelphia, and even though I'm not a Phillies fan (I live near St. Louis with my grandparents, so I'm a Cardinals fan), but since NBC is my all time favorite television network (I love ABC, CBS, FOX, and the other television networks as well, but NBC is my all time favorite television network), and since I like the television shows that were on NBC from September of 1993 to December of 1993 (while Jay Leno was hosting "The Tonight Show" on NBC, and while Conan O'Brien was in his very first year hosting "Late Night" on NBC before anybody even heard of Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers, and before both "Friends" and "ER" both premiered on NBC in September of 1994) from September 1, 1993 to December 31, 1993, and even though both the 1993 NLCS and the 1993 World Series were both on CBS, but where can I find television newscasts that aired on KYW-TV (which was then an NBC affiliate) from October 5, 1993 (the day before Game 1 of the 1993 NLCS) to October 23, 1993?

Thanks!
Sean

By the way, some of the television shows that aired on NBC on KYW-TV from October 5, 1993 (again, the day before Game 1 of the 1993 NLCS) to October 23, 1993 before KYW-TV became a CBS affiliate in 1995) include "Unsolved Mysteries", "Now With Tom Brokaw And Katie Couric", "Law & Order", "Mad About You", "Wings", "Seinfeld", "Frasier", "L.A. Law", "The Mommies", "Cafe Americain", "Empty Nest", "Nurses", "Sisters", "I Witness Video", "seaQuest DSV", "The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air", "Blossom", "Saved By The Bell: The College Years", "Getting By", "The John Larroquette Show", "The Second Half", and "Dateline NBC"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 01:19 PM

633 posts, read 640,445 times
Hello Sean! This is quite a specific request you have! Normally you'd be out of luck. TV news stations generally did not keep extensive archives of this kind of footage and considered it disposable.

I'm only aware of two sources for this kind of material.

The Vanderbilt Television News Archives:

Television News Archive

Quote:
The collection spans the presidential administrations of Lyndon Baines Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama. The core collection includes evening news broadcasts from ABC, CBS, and NBC (since 1968), an hour per day of CNN (since 1995) and Fox News (since 2004). Special news broadcasts found in the Archive include political conventions, presidential speeches and press conferences, Watergate hearings, coverage of the Persian Gulf War, the events of September 11, 2001, the War in Afghanistan, and the War in Iraq.
And the collection of Marion Stokes, which is being archived and uploaded by the internet archive. Stokes lived in Philadelphia and is likely to have what you're looking for somewhere.

The Incredible Story Of Marion Stokes, Who Single-Handedly Taped 35 Years Of TV News | Fast Company | Business + Innovation

https://archive.org/details/TV-KYW?&...nloads&page=13

The internet archive does not yet appear to have completed digitizing and uploading the 40,000+ tapes that make up the stokes collection, but perhaps you can contact them if Vanderbilt doesn't have what you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: