Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:34 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,587,289 times

Advertisements

29 and counting with Ed Royce of California.

Lots of "I'm taking my ball and going home" here with the Republicans this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 11:52 PM

8,431 posts, read 7,744,103 times
Perhaps it's not fear of losing, so much as fear of who might decide to endorse you.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:57 AM

5,311 posts, read 6,269,710 times
I think some of it is actually generational and tiring of the job. Being a West Coast Rep in DC means a lot of travel on top of campaigning and the actual job. The GOP reps form other districts could also be people who he does not work as well or line up politically with the ones he originally joined in office.

I actually think we need more turnover not less.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 AM

24,819 posts, read 17,567,386 times
I agree, turnover is a form of self imposed term limits.

What Republican in their right mind would want to be a representative from California? It is very clear that California wants to embrace the far left progressive ideals and drive itself right off the cliff.
It has to be an uphill battle every single day to be a Republican in California and not to mention how much they hate Trump. This guy Royce might be thinking it is not worth the time, money and energy to run because California is rejecting everything and anything associated with Trump.

Oh well. I'm sure someone that is up to the challenge will step into the ring for what will be an uphill battle.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:35 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,228,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

What Republican in their right mind would want to be a representative from California? It is very clear that California wants to embrace the far left progressive ideals and drive itself right off the cliff.
It has to be an uphill battle every single day to be a Republican in California and not to mention how much they hate Trump. This guy Royce might be thinking it is not worth the time, money and energy to run because California is rejecting everything and anything associated with Trump.

Oh well. I'm sure someone that is up to the challenge will step into the ring for what will be an uphill battle.
Exactly Todd we can't even get a Repub to run for governor because of the expense and they know they'll lose. Newsome will be our next gov and he makes Brown look like a Reagan Republican .... God help Ca

Old 01-09-2018, 09:10 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,587,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

He's a 13-term congressman . . . obviously lots of people embraced him for a quarter century. He won with 57% of the vote 14 months ago.

Trump must be a pretty toxic brand to drop out after all of that success.

And look at where many of the Republicans are dropping out of: six from Texas plus representatives from Florida, Kansas, Tennessee, and many conservative parts of swing states. Bill Shuster ran unopposed in 2000 in Western Pennsylvania and every year from 2002 until 2014 he got at least 60% of the vote. Then he only got 50.6% of the vote in 2016. Now, suddenly, he doesn't want to be a representative any more. He's only 57 years old and is the chairman of the Transportation Committee.

This isn't happening just in deep blue states (even though many parts of those states are red); it's happening everywhere.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,648,752 times
Republican congress critters are dropping like flies. Why?

Old 01-09-2018, 09:52 AM

13,733 posts, read 9,080,250 times
I find it rather odd that some of these GOP Representatives are not seeking re-election because they will no longer be able to chair committees (the GOP has a self-imposed rule on such; on some committees you cannot be chairman after two terms, others, three terms). In short, if they can't be the head of their committee, they will take their ball and go home (and become lobbyists, of course).

Puts me in mind of Milton's Satan: "I would rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven".

Old 01-09-2018, 10:18 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,337,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Republican congress critters are dropping like flies. Why?
We don’t know whether or not 2018 will be a Democratic wave year, we do know that when a wave is perceived to be building on the wave side you see strong numbers of qualified candidates running and on the other side a lack of qualified candidates because they think it’s a bad time to make a run.

That seems to be at play nationally now. Republican recruitment by and large is down from previous years.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,659,269 times
They are dropping out cause they are afraid to loss their golden parachutes in the up coming election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections