Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times

Advertisements

Because there are no age restrictions.
Got to say, I admire their interest and determination.

“At least six teenagers have submitted paperwork to run in the November election for governor of Kansas, which has no age restrictions for candidates seeking the state's highest office.”

6 teenagers are running for governor of Kansas - ABC News

Of course now the powers-that-be want to change the rules.

As one of the kid’s noted, seems a bit reactionary.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...governors-race
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 05:08 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times
While I don't think a teen is ready to govern a state yet, I'm glad they are all getting their feet wet young in our political process. By the time they mature a decade or so, some of them may be ready to be civic leaders, and that's good.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:16 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
there are plenty of smart kids out there... so why not

if they have the skills, and the stamina to back it up (politics is a ruthless occupation)...I say go for it

Old 02-11-2018, 11:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
there are plenty of smart kids out there... so why not

if they have the skills, and the stamina to back it up (politics is a ruthless occupation)...I say go for it
as said, it is admirable they are interest in politics but that is where this should end. A high school student has no idea of what the world is really all about and certainly is not ready to hold a political post or any kind. If nothing else they do not have a clue what they would be in for or truly how the system works.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:54 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,070,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
as said, it is admirable they are interest in politics but that is where this should end. A high school student has no idea of what the world is really all about and certainly is not ready to hold a political post or any kind. If nothing else they do not have a clue what they would be in for or truly how the system works.
Considering how the "experienced politicians" currently in charge have pretty much destroyed that state, I don't see how inexperienced high school students could do any worse.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Considering how the "experienced politicians" currently in charge have pretty much destroyed that state, I don't see how inexperienced high school students could do any worse.
Would you like to share what the present Kansas elected politicians have done to spoil the state? Sorry, but no matter what the circumstances, a high school student is way too uninformed and too young to even think about state or national politics when it comes to running. Think about what you were like at say, 17 and how much you really knew about life? Be honest, high school young people haven't experienced enough to be able to handle situations that they know literally nothing about.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Shrug. According to Kansas state law, they're qualified to run.

It will be interesting to see how many Kansas voters don't agree with you.

I say good on 'em.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:53 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,102,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The state is destroyed because of what? What is your criteria for "destroyed". Oh, it is liberal thing, right? Yeah, we don't care about that agenda.

Quote:
Would you like to share what the present Kansas elected politicians have done to spoil the state? Sorry, but no matter what the circumstances, a high school student is way too uninformed and too young to even think about state or national politics when it comes to running. Think about what you were like at say, 17 and how much you really knew about life? Be honest, high school young people haven't experienced enough to be able to handle situations that they know literally nothing about.
I doubt they have a clue, just parroting from liberal media.

Oh, when they are liberal, despite their age, they think they know everything, thus how they know about Kansas and its "destruction" at the hand of experienced politicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

I say good on 'em.
They won't do well. We have some outstanding candidates coming forward to replace Governor Brownback. Many here already know who they will be supporting, and it won't be kids from high school!

Old 02-14-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

I say good on 'em.
Obviously the law says they are qualified to run. Anyone with 1/2 brain knows that. Being qualified legally and being a good choice are 2 separate things. I can think of a lot of laws that should not be, I am sure you can as well. Being legal doesn't make it a good idea. Let's see how it comes out in the end.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:42 AM

One more little bit of information: not pointed out by those who seem to think it is just fine for high school kids to run for governor, are not mentioning, if they even know: the law actually says, their are no restrictions period on who can run. It isn't simply as age thing, but an old law that needs to be reconsidered. There are many laws, probably in every state that have just never been looked at. Obviously when Kansas set this law, they were not thinking in terms of kids running for public office. Would you feel the same if a 12 year old decided to run?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections