Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 AM

26,173 posts, read 22,351,032 times

Advertisements

We are already looking at making an age change: https://nypost.com/2018/02/12/kansas...overnors-race/ The natural process would eliminate these kids anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 09:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,845,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
One more little bit of information: not pointed out by those who seem to think it is just fine for high school kids to run for governor, are not mentioning, if they even know: the law actually says, their are no restrictions period on who can run. It isn't simply as age thing, but an old law that needs to be reconsidered. There are many laws, probably in every state that have just never been looked at. Obviously when Kansas set this law, they were not thinking in terms of kids running for public office. Would you feel the same if a 12 year old decided to run?
Sure. Why not? It's up to the voters, and in general, I think voters should get their choice. If their choice is a 12-yo, who am I to interfere? Some animals have been on official ballots. https://listverse.com/2017/04/15/top...itical-office/

Are you seriously telling me that voters should be prevented from voting for candidates who qualify for the ballot? How exactly would you propose to do that?

Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,182,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Sure. Why not? It's up to the voters, and in general, I think voters should get their choice. If their choice is a 12-yo, who am I to interfere? Some animals have been on official ballots. https://listverse.com/2017/04/15/top...itical-office/

Are you seriously telling me that voters should be prevented from voting for candidates who qualify for the ballot? How exactly would you propose to do that?
What the hell are you babbling about this time? Where did I say anything about anyone being prevented from voting for a person who has met the requirements?

As for animals or 12 year olds for that matter, my point which seems to be way over your head is, there needs to be law changes preventing them from running. No one has ever said if a person qualifies, they should not be able to run. It boils down to should old,outdated laws be changed? If you think not, wow!!! Every state has laws that need to be re-considered wouldn't you agree?

Old 02-15-2018, 11:39 AM

79,041 posts, read 61,188,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Considering how the "experienced politicians" currently in charge have pretty much destroyed that state, I don't see how inexperienced high school students could do any worse.
Your partisanship just keeps biting you in the butt in terms of being able to write accurate and meaningful content.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:42 AM

79,041 posts, read 61,188,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We are already looking at making an age change: https://nypost.com/2018/02/12/kansas...overnors-race/ The natural process would eliminate these kids anyway.
The issue could be if several hundred kids did this as some sort of joke and basically caused a large amount of expense to deal with.

Most importantly, as long as they follow the laws of the state they are fully free and able to add an age limit....just like they have to everything from buying cigarettes, gamble, drink etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections