Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 01:41 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,216,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It looks like Trump Republicans are shaking in their boots from the mainstream. This makes me happy. Shows that Americans don't want Trump Republicans at all.
I think that is definitely true of Utah Republicans, but not necessarily the rest of the country. Trump's performance in the Utah primary was disastrous (after he questioned Romney's credentials as a Mormon) and although he won the state over Clinton in the general election, he fell far short of a majority. Utah has a moralistic culture, is urbanized, demographically young and well educated - not the president's favorite type of audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 07:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Don't forget he moved to MA to run for governor.
You are mistaken.

He resided in Mass for 30 years before he ran for governor.

He also had a summer home in NH and a home for winter ski vacations in Utah.

Romneys pulled up Boston roots in 2008 and relocated their primary residence to California and split time in Utah.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Nearly 61 million voted for Romney in 2012.

Utah should be a piece of cake.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
"Former Massachusetts governor and one-time Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is running for the U.S. Senate in Utah, he officially announced this morning."

Well, that's a shame to hear.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Romeny is a bit of an odd case on residency. He lived in Ma for most of his main professional career (Bain) but has had ties (and homes) In Utah, California, Michigan and New Hampshire. Scott Brown's 'move' was much odder. My understanding is that Romney really only maintained his Massachusetts residence via a condo when he launched the second presidential run. I guess they figured it was better to run from there since he had been governor.

His relationship to Utah is stronger than Clinton to New York, Brown to NH and the various other head scratchers.

ETA- that stint in Utah coincided with him taking over the Salt Lake City Olympics.
Yup.
While I don't know it for a fact, I think his church's leaders called out to Mitt to come and help once it became obvious that without some strong financial leadership, the Olympics would fail to be ready on time. That would have been an international calamity of the worst kind to the Mormon's missionary efforts.

I also think it was the first time Mitt actually became close to his Mormon roots. His father George had always been closer to Utah than his children were until then.

It's interesting to see how relaxed Mitt is there now; he's not as stiff and awkward as he was in places like New Hampshire when he's in the little towns in Utah or in the surrounding states where there are a lot of Mormons around him.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You are mistaken.

He resided in Mass for 30 years before he ran for governor.

He also had a summer home in NH and a home for winter ski vacations in Utah.

Romneys pulled up Boston roots in 2008 and relocated their primary residence to California and split time in Utah.
Note my earlier posts. From 1999-2002 he filed taxes as a part time MA resident and took a $54K tax benefit reserved for Utah residents. MA also requires gubernatorial candidates to be full time residents for the 7 years prior to running. As such, he was not a resident of MA.

IMHO, he chose MA to start his political career because it would be the easiest place to do so due the recent string of R's holding the office. Utah would've required him to displace other R's, CA would have impossible, and NH would have laughed him away as a flat lander.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
It seems many of our failed Republican MA Senate candidates take up residency in other states for Senate runs there. Scott Brown moved to NH to run (lost to Shaheen) and now Romney moves to Utah to run.
In the case of Romney that isn't quite what has happened. Scott Brown did it just prior to his run for senate, about like Clinton did in NY just prior to her run. Romney has lived in Utah for the past 2 years. I doubt he moved there just to run, eventually for senate.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:13 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,798,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I expect he'll win in a landslide.

"Former Massachusetts governor and one-time Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney is running for the U.S. Senate in Utah, he officially announced this morning."

Mitt Romney: 'I am running for the United States Senate' - ABC News
"The Mormon Plane is About to Go in For a Landing in Utah."

Seriously, though, I completely agree with you that he should win in a landslide.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:47 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Romney is a Mormon and Utah is majority Mormon.

I was looking forward to McCain's 'departure' but now Romney will take that old RINO's place. Both want illegal cheap labor for Big Business.

If he votes against Trump out of revenge, it shows he only cares about himself and not his constituents, a typical career politician.
I fully expect him to be a constant thorn in Trump's side. His actions during the election were unforgivable - and I hope he loses. But it doesn't look likely.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:11 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You know trump hates to see that.
Wrong again. Trump has endorsed Romney's run.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKCN1G406B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections