Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:42 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,817,272 times

Advertisements

The fallacy of the OP is this.

They assume party registration = party receiving the vote. It doesn't.

I was a registered Democrat for years here in NC and still voted for both parties and libertarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 10:53 AM

17,607 posts, read 9,396,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It will be interesting to see the numbers from Tuesday, if the trend holds up. However, when one gets down to it, there are still more Republican voters than Democratic voters here in Texas.

I also found it interesting that, for the first time in 25 years, the Democrats have fielded a challenger in all 36 Congressional districts.

I imagine Governor Abbott will win his bid. However, our resident Canadian Senator, Ted Cruz, may be in some trouble.
"I imagine that Governor Abbot will win his bid" also -

You put your finger on the reason that Primary Voting is UP - there are a LOT of contested races this year.
In spite of all that - the percentage of Early voters in Texas is always less than the Election Day voters - and there will be some drop off after the Primaries are settled. My quick check shows that the Districts will high primary voting/early voting are also the most contested Districts.

The high number of free-for-all races was prompted by the decisions of eight men in the Texas Congressional delegation – six Republicans and two Democrats – who opted to not run for re-election. Even Edie Bernice has drawn some Primary opponents and one of these days, she will be ousted (with any luck at all).
It's a race between the top 3 worst Democrat CongressCritters in Texas (Eddie Bernice, Sheila Jackson Lee & Al Green) to see who can be the Top Dog Worst. SJL has the edge here, Al Green moving up fast.

Then there are three other U.S. House races that have drawn national attention because Democrats view the Republican incumbents as vulnerable.

Texas Congressional Primaries to Watch - Texas Tribune

Texas has 254 Counties, 150 Voting Districts and is one of the most difficult States to Campaign in for a State wide race. I'm no fan of Ted Cruz and would have welcomed a primary challenge to him, but since he didn't get a primary challenge - he will win the Senate race.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:56 AM

25,867 posts, read 20,810,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

I was a registered Democrat for years here in NC and still voted for both parties and libertarian.

Maybe all of those Dems are voting for “Rs ” but doesn’t seem likely.

“On the GOP side, Ryan found that first-time primary voters only made up about 10 percent of the early vote share, which is a dip from the 2014 midterm primaries. However, on the Democratic side, first time primary voters comprise over 22 percent of the early vote — way up from the 14 percent four years ago.
Ryan also acknowledged that the rise in Democratic enthusiasm is worrisome for Republicans — especially because Democrats have gotten many low propensity voters to the polls. He's been diving into the early voting data, and his analysis found that many of those primary voters are ones that voted in 2016 — but haven't had a proclivity to vote yet in a midterm year when turnout typically drops off. And nearly a quarter of Democrats who cast early ballots were new voters who just registered in the past two years.”

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/04/59031...mocratic-surge

Old 03-04-2018, 11:03 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,346,830 times
This year is going to be extremely interesting, Texas being a good example.

A record number of women are running there. We haven't seen this type of motivation in a long long time.

The conventional wisdom is that the Dems cannot run against Trump. But, they can certainly thank Trump for creating so much anger and division that masses of people are inspired to stand up to his rigid authoritarian and dictatorial rule.

"...The number of women running for Congress here this year is surging, fueled by indignation over the wave of sexual harassment claims against office-holders, anti-Trump sentiment and an abundance of seats left open by the retirements of longtime incumbents....

...Still, the groundswell of candidates — and eight open House seats across the state — makes it likely at least a few of them will be added to what is the second-largest congressional delegation in the nation. That’s no small feat in a state that hasn’t added a new woman to its full-time roster since the election of Republican Rep. Kay Granger in 1996..."

At least 50 women running for Congress in Texas primaries, a record number - ABC News

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...didates-433285

Old 03-04-2018, 11:14 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,285,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It will be interesting to see the numbers from Tuesday, if the trend holds up. However, when one gets down to it, there are still more Republican voters than Democratic voters here in Texas.

I also found it interesting that, for the first time in 25 years, the Democrats have fielded a challenger in all 36 Congressional districts.

I imagine Governor Abbott will win his bid. However, our resident Canadian Senator, Ted Cruz, may be in some trouble.
come on, it has been challenged and according to the law, he has nothing to do with Canada. OK, so he was born there, McCain was not born in America either, are you going to say he isn't an American? Let it go for heavens sake.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:21 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,337,796 times
Cruz is an American citizen for the same reason that Obama was born an American citizen. They were born to American mothers. In Obama’s case, he was also born on American territory, as was John McCain. In Cruz’s on Canadian soil, but he was already a citizen by blood, if not by soil.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:25 AM

22,266 posts, read 19,588,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Texas does not have Party by Registration. There are record #'s voting in the Democratic Primary.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:06 PM

17,607 posts, read 9,396,025 times
All this Breathless HYPE about Texas turning BLUE because the Republicans are not voting - is likely to backfire on the Democrats and their Media Lapdogs. It will probably spur more Republicans that skip the Mid-terms into making sure they vote. That is certainly going to be the GOP message.

I can remember exactly 2 times I've done early voting and I NEVER miss any election. Early voting in Texas is by computer and I don't like the computers, I prefer paper ballots. I'm not alone in that - on Election Day the computers sit vacant for the most part, while people stand in line to vote by paper ballot.

The Largest block of voters that actually vote in Texas are age 65+, second largest is 45-64. Smallest is Hispanic, even though they are 39% of the population. Part of that is that a third of the voting age Hispanics are not Legal to vote, part of it is that many are too young to vote.

Texas may well turn back BLUE some day - we were BLUE for 150 years.
It will take the same sort of thing that pushed the Democrats into obscurity - a State wide Corruption Scandal of such magnitude that the entire State rebels.

I don't see that any time soon - but if the Nationwide HYPE and Divisiveness were to ever cease, I would expect Texas to go back to being a pretty much Purple State in the State Legislature.
I don't see that happening soon either.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Maybe all of those Dems are voting for “Rs ” but doesn’t seem likely.

The simultaneously voted for Trump and for a Democrat for governor here in NC.

It's very likely.

The voters are not as "Deplorable" as some on the far left like to think.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Cruz is an American citizen for the same reason that Obama was born an American citizen. They were born to American mothers. In Obama’s case, he was also born on American territory, as was John McCain. In Cruz’s on Canadian soil, but he was already a citizen by blood, if not by soil.
Nobody ever questioned if any of these individuals were American citizens. It's clear that they are.

The question was always, are they were natural born citizens.

And at this point, it's pointless to even ponder it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections