Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:11 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,646,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Pence, his vp, guarantees Trump won't be impeached ... stop looking to those investigations as if they will produce anything. Ain't gonna happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What makes you think Pence has any authority to guarantee that? Spoiler Alert: he doesn't
Not talking about Pence's authority ...

Old 06-15-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I was 19 when Nixon resigned.

Take my advice and listen to what he says and don't listen to Hannity and the Russian bots.
I was 10 when Nixon resigned ... Trump was not well liked at all in the 80s. He would evict his own mother out of an appt, if he thought he could make a buck off the units.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think the point EB is making is the way you are interpreting what he wrote. I don't think he means legally. I think he means that Pence is a sort of 'virtual insurance policy against impeachment and removal' because enough members of Congress would find a 'President Pence' too distasteful....either for personal reasons, reaction from constituents, or both.
ty ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Pence may exit ahead of tRump. Kinda like Nixon's veep got shoved out the door ahead of him.

He's got Russian dirt of his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Ah, ok. Not how I took it, but I've actually said as much - the idea of a President Pence scares me more in some ways, because he is a zealot. I don't fear that he could tweet us into a war, the way I do with Donald Trump, but yes, pretty much every decision he'd make on policy would be anathema to me.
You're not alone ...

Old 06-15-2018, 11:42 PM

33,617 posts, read 12,816,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
He is the worst president we have ever had. He alienates our allies while praising our foes. His constant tantrums and lies on Twitter make him look weak because he can’t take any criticism. Reagan was a great president even though I didn’t agree with everything he did. But he did care about our country. Trump only cares about himself and how much he is loved. He’s a divider not a uniter. That’s not what our country needs.
Translation of the bolded....he doesn't bend over and kow-tow to the people who oppose him*.

(and I say that as a non Trump supporter)

* - or, more bluntly if one prefers, people who hate him.

Last edited by RMESMH; 06-15-2018 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: ADDED *

Old 06-16-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Translation of the bolded....he doesn't bend over and kow-tow to the people who oppose him*.

(and I say that as a non Trump supporter)

* - or, more bluntly if one prefers, people who hate him.
Not hating him, just wouldn't want to associate with him.

PS: I am surprised though at the vast amount of Americans today, that would.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:10 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,476,813 times
I watched the Donald last night on the telly news. He came out of the White House to speak with reporters. Well, I say speak with, actually he just talked over any questions. He mainly wanted to tell everyone how great he is, and successful. Absolutely fascinating.......... He is a true sociopath, and real smart with it.

I remember many years ago, we had a loud mouthed American woman on our telly screens called Ruby Wax. She travelled the world interviewing people, and basically trying to make them look foolish. Well, she picked the wrong one with Donald Trump. He swatted her like an annoying fly.

Short of an economic disaster occurring, and it well may, he will win easily in 2020. He will verbally crush anyone the Dems put up against him. Who will be the sacrificial lamb? Who has the guts, and yes, charisma to stand up to him? There is no one is there?

This is what American politics has sunk to. A grifter like Donald Trump rising to the highest office in the land. This is an amazing time, which will be studied by historians long after we are all gone.

Last edited by English Dave; 06-16-2018 at 01:32 AM..

Old 06-16-2018, 02:28 AM

12,309 posts, read 9,795,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
He is the worst president we have ever had. He alienates our allies while praising our foes. His constant tantrums and lies on Twitter make him look weak because he can’t take any criticism. Reagan was a great president even though I didn’t agree with everything he did. But he did care about our country. Trump only cares about himself and how much he is loved. He’s a divider not a uniter. That’s not what our country needs.
Most of the country is overjoyed with what he is doing and understand how fortunate we are to have him at this time in our history. We were on a very frightening downward slide and no one else could have turned things around like Trump has. No one.

You are on the outside looking in.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I watched the Donald last night on the telly news. He came out of the White House to speak with reporters. Well, I say speak with, actually he just talked over any questions. He mainly wanted to tell everyone how great he is, and successful. Absolutely fascinating.......... He is a true sociopath, and real smart with it.

I remember many years ago, we had a loud mouthed American woman on our telly screens called Ruby Wax. She travelled the world interviewing people, and basically trying to make them look foolish. Well, she picked the wrong one with Donald Trump. He swatted her like an annoying fly.

Short of an economic disaster occurring, and it well may, he will win easily in 2020. He will verbally crush anyone the Dems put up against him. Who will be the sacrificial lamb? Who has the guts, and yes, charisma to stand up to him? There is no one is there?

This is what American politics has sunk to. A grifter like Donald Trump rising to the highest office in the land. This is an amazing time, which will be studied by historians long after we are all gone.
I don't think he is at peace (within himself), and I doubt he ever has been. I think he has a festering insecurity that was stoked by his father. I'd guess his father did that because, in his father's warped view, that would help nurture the 'killer instinct' he wanted his son to have. I think Trump could have overcome that if he wanted to 'do the work', but I imagine he isn't disciplined enough in ways he would need to be in order to do that.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
Sadly, I think Trump will win. What's more....he jokingly made reference to serving a third term. I don’t think he was joking. I fully expect him to try to serve as president for life. We'll find out more after he wins the second term.
Oh come on.

Some people said the same thing when Obama was POTUS.

IMO, it is silly either way.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
We must recall that it is still the electoral votes that matter.

Yes, Ms. Clinton won the 'popular' vote, yet Mr. Trump won the electoral vote.

He won Pennsylvania by 0.7 percentage points (44,2929 votes), and so 20 electoral votes.

He won Wisconsin by 0.7 points (22,748 votes), and so 10 electoral votes.

He won Michigan by 0.2 percentage points (10,704 votes), and so 16 electoral votes.

Any way you cut it, winning these states by around, in total, 77,000 votes is a very slim margin. Take away those electoral votes, and Mr. Trump would have ended up with 260 electoral votes.

Can he repeat the feat? Ah, thus is the question. As others have pointed out, the economy will be a strong, but not the only, factor.

I personally think that Mr. Trump may be hampered (ignoring his propensity to lie) by the fact that he will not be able to campaign in these states using the same message in 2016.

If the economy is tanking, some people will, rightly or wrongly, blame him. Conversely, if the economy is still doing well, some voters may take the viewpoint that since the economy is booming, they no longer need a man like him in the White House. After all, we presently have an excellent economy, and yet his 'disapproval' factor is still above 50 percent. He will get a bump in approval due to the Singapore Summit, but what the Korean situation will be like two years hence is unknown.

Many say that Hillary Rodham Clinton was a flawed candidate. True, although many of the allegations against her were false. Yet, there is no doubt that Donald John Trump was also a flawed candidate. Perhaps if the Democrats select a 'non-flawed' candidate (if such exists), their chances against Mr. Trump will significantly improve.

I will make this prediction: the Democrat running will not ignore these three states, as Ms. Clinton did. I was one of those that thought Mr. Trump was wasting his time returning to these states time after time, yet he had his eye on the electoral prize, and it paid off.

By the by: I still think it possibly (as I predicted even before the election) that Mr. Trump will resign before his term is up, claiming that he had done all he had set out to do, and so go back to Trump Tower (and shine up the Trump brand, which has taken a bit of a hit).
I agree.

From what I understand,Bill wanted her to campaign (or campaign more) there, but she listened to Robby Mook rather than listening to her husband(who only happened to get elected to that office twice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections