Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 01:19 PM

8,885 posts, read 4,617,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Out of curiosity what makes you think he will not run in 2020? I really almost hope he doesn't but I still wonder why you think that. We all know he is pretty unpredictable but he is indicating he will. I am not sure Pence would get the nomination even though I like him.
1. He and I are the same age, and 4 years in a meat grinder would be more than enough for anybody, even given his giant ego. He will be almost 80 at the end of his second term, and just would not have the stamina that the job requires.

2. $$. Unlike Obama and the Clintons during their various tenures in office, President Trump's net worth is declining. I wouldn't want to continue taking financial hits for serving my country.

3. He may feel that he has accomplished as much as he can, and hand over the reins to Pence.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:24 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,289,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Pence, his vp, guarantees Trump won't be impeached ... stop looking to those investigations as if they will produce anything. Ain't gonna happen.
What makes you think Pence has any authority to guarantee that? Spoiler Alert: he doesn't

Old 06-14-2018, 01:47 PM

33,329 posts, read 12,642,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What makes you think Pence has any authority to guarantee that? Spoiler Alert: he doesn't
I may be wrong, but I don't think the point EB is making is the way you are interpreting what he wrote. I don't think he means legally. I think he means that Pence is a sort of 'virtual insurance policy against impeachment and removal' because enough members of Congress would find a 'President Pence' too distasteful....either for personal reasons, reaction from constituents, or both.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:52 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,615,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Pence, his vp, guarantees Trump won't be impeached ... stop looking to those investigations as if they will produce anything. Ain't gonna happen.
Pence may exit ahead of tRump. Kinda like Nixon's veep got shoved out the door ahead of him.

He's got Russian dirt of his own.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,289,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think the point EB is making is the way you are interpreting what he wrote. I don't think he means legally. I think he means that Pence is a sort of 'virtual insurance policy against impeachment and removal' because enough members of Congress would find a 'President Pence' too distasteful....either for personal reasons, reaction from constituents, or both.
Ah, ok. Not how I took it, but I've actually said as much - the idea of a President Pence scares me more in some ways, because he is a zealot. I don't fear that he could tweet us into a war, the way I do with Donald Trump, but yes, pretty much every decision he'd make on policy would be anathema to me.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:32 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,718,402 times
After reading all the responses in this thread, I think Russian bots have taken over City-Data. That is the only logical explanation for the support for the worst president in American history. Have any of you Trump supporters ever listened to anything he says?

Old 06-14-2018, 04:44 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,761,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
After reading all the responses in this thread, I think Russian bots have taken over City-Data. That is the only logical explanation for the support for the worst president in American history. Have any of you Trump supporters ever listened to anything he says?
Your world view is upside down. He's the best President that almost anyone alive today has seen in their adult lifetime.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:49 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,718,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Your world view is upside down. He's the best President that almost anyone alive today has seen in their adult lifetime.
I was 19 when Nixon resigned.

Take my advice and listen to what he says and don't listen to Hannity and the Russian bots.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:53 PM

25,664 posts, read 17,416,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I am not American .. but what do you guys from America say ?
Probably.
If he can get an agreement with North Korea, get inspectors into North Korea who find all nuclear research has terminated, and get the troops out of South Korea, then he should have no trouble getting re-elected.

But in order for that to happen Kim Jong Un will have to move very quickly and very openly.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:53 PM

29,227 posts, read 22,462,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Pence may exit ahead of tRump. Kinda like Nixon's veep got shoved out the door ahead of him.

He's got Russian dirt of his own.

That would be the highest pinnacle of irony if it was to happen. If ti was to happen soon, while Ryan is a lame duck House Speaker, it could also bring on a brand-new succession crisis the United States has never experienced before.

Gerald Ford became our first President by default when he was the Speaker of the House, but he had not announced any plans to retire when the laws of succession made him our only non-elected Vice President and then our only non-elected President.

If Pence was to leave, I can only wonder what would happen next. Ryan, by the constitution, would fill his shoes, but would he fill Pence's place until 2020 or until he retires at the end of this year? Would he stay on as V.P. if Trump was impeached? If he did, would he remain President by default until 2020, even if his retirement allowed it?
Would it be legal or not? No one knows. It's one of those things the Constitution doesn't cover, and there's no precedent in in our common law either.

#3 in line would be Orrin Hatch, but he announced his retirement too, and his party has already chosen 2 others to a run-off to take his place on the ballot. If Ryan would be declared ineligible for the office, so would Hatch.

#4 would be Mike Pompeo.

If it became Pompeo, we would have the first President who has never run for office and was never elected as an official at any level in our government.

In addition to becoming the very first Secretary of State to ever become President through succession of office.

This has to be the very first time our line of succession has been so tenuous, complicated and fragile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections