Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 05:57 PM
miu miu started this thread

17,770 posts, read 40,221,665 times

Advertisements

So Obama and his campaign staff knew as far back as February 9th of 2007 that his association with Rev. Wright would be a problem. And my problem with this is that it took Obama a whole year more to come clean with Wright's sermons. I guess it was more important to Obama to come across to Americans as a devout Christian in order to balance his dad and half-brother being a Muslim. As an atheist, I don't care what religion he follows.

Otherwise, I am also disappointed that Obama was a cigarette smoker until recently when his wife made him quit. I have very little respect for people my age that smoke cigarettes. I knew back in grade school that smoking was a nasty and addictive habit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/06/us...s/06obama.html

Quote:
Disinvitation by Obama Is Criticized

By JODI KANTOR Published: March 6, 2007

CHICAGO, March 5 — The Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., senior pastor of the popular Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago and spiritual mentor to Senator Barack Obama, thought he knew what he would be doing on Feb. 10, the day of Senator Obama’s presidential announcement.

After all, back in January, Mr. Obama had asked Mr. Wright if he would begin the event by delivering a public invocation.

But Mr. Wright said Mr. Obama called him the night before the Feb. 10 announcement and rescinded the invitation to give the invocation.

“Fifteen minutes before Shabbos I get a call from Barack,” Mr. Wright said in an interview on Monday, recalling that he was at an interfaith conference at the time. “One of his members had talked him into uninviting me,” Mr. Wright said, referring to Mr. Obama’s campaign advisers.

Some black leaders are questioning Mr. Obama’s decision to distance his campaign from Mr. Wright because of the campaign’s apparent fear of criticism over Mr. Wright’s teachings, which some say are overly Afrocentric to the point of excluding whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,207,758 times
He didn't throw a preacher under the bus and he used to smoke cigarettes. Call me when you wanna discuss a campaign issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections