Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 11:42 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,855,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
That is a very interesting statistic. A Democrat has won the popular vote 6 of the last 7 election cycles. And since the popular vote usually equates to winning the Presidency, no wonder voter suppression is key on the agenda for the GOP. And before someone says it isn't - just look at what happened in a state like Ohio. They have that voter purge law. And you can't register to vote the day of the election either. In other states, they are restricting voter registration drives.

If you can't win legitimately, employ some shenanigans.
The U.S. is a big country but Democrats are a regional party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:40 PM

21,992 posts, read 15,799,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I am very thankful that this type of thinking is a minority amongst liberals.

I live in Michigan, which is one of those "Rust Belt" states. Like in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Iowa, there are many different types of people here. We're not a monolith of tariff loving "deplorables" who support your Trumpist mischaracterization of our population. There are some people here who think that way, and they'll vote for Trump anyway. There are also people who mostly agree with your agenda - minus the coastal elitism, and are going to vote against Trump anyhow. Paying attention to the "Rust Belt" is not catering to your "basket of deplorables" - it's engaging the middle who don't like Trump, but reluctantly either voted for him or stayed home because Hillary Clinton thought much like you.

That's not a hard lesson to learn.
With all due respect, the West and New England should not have to suffer through more Republican years because the Rust Belt wants to bring back coal. The West, including California, is one of the strongest economies in the world and pays through the nose in taxes, yet they are getting no representation. Wyoming has more representation. So for us, the best thing is to pull away from the rest of the country and regionalize. We believe in protecting the environment, we believe in health coverage, we believe in science, in technology, in not insulting our allies, we believe trade means working with other countries, not calling them rapists. Our economy is doing great and was doing great before Trump. Michigan is a red state now and should they become a blue state, they can join us, but there is no logical reason why we should keep paying more than we get back when Trump only hurts our economy with these stupid trade wars and making enemies of our allies.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:00 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,088,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
With all due respect, the West and New England should not have to suffer through more Republican years because the Rust Belt wants to bring back coal. The West, including California, is one of the strongest economies in the world and pays through the nose in taxes, yet they are getting no representation. Wyoming has more representation. So for us, the best thing is to pull away from the rest of the country and regionalize. We believe in protecting the environment, we believe in health coverage, we believe in science, in technology, in not insulting our allies, we believe trade means working with other countries, not calling them rapists. Our economy is doing great and was doing great before Trump. Michigan is a red state now and should they become a blue state, they can join us, but there is no logical reason why we should keep paying more than we get back when Trump only hurts our economy with these stupid trade wars and making enemies of our allies.
Elections have consequences and unfortunately for you, the left lost quite a few including the 2016 Presidential election. The United States of America survived Obama and you'll survive 8 years of Trump.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Elections have consequences and unfortunately for you, the left lost quite a few including the 2016 Presidential election. The United States of America survived Obama and you'll survive 8 years of Trump.
Whether Trump is here four or eight, I would rather no longer be tethered to Trump country. They've never shown themselves to be able to withstand economic changes. They want to bring back coal. They want me to pay farmers not to grow food. They want a $12 Billion farmer bailout. I really don't care what Trump country does as long as the blue states work together to progress our own economy, do not hire red state workers, minimize trade with red states and simply regionalize in such a way that whatever Trump country does has minimal impact on us. Don't be so sure it won't happen. By the time Trump country figures it out, it will already have been happening for some time.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:53 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,088,724 times
Quote:
Whether Trump is here four or eight, I would rather no longer be tethered to Trump country.
www.united.com

Quote:
They've never shown themselves to be able to withstand economic changes. They want to bring back coal. They want me to pay farmers not to grow food. They want a $12 Billion farmer bailout. I really don't care what Trump country does as long as the blue states work together to progress our own economy, do not hire red state workers, minimize trade with red states and simply regionalize in such a way that whatever Trump country does has minimal impact on us. Don't be so sure it won't happen. By the time Trump country figures it out, it will already have been happening for some time.
What's funny about this is that the exact opposite of what you're proposing is happening. Labor Unions are getting weaker by the day, Blue states are losing people to red states because of jobs, people are fleeing the high taxed liberal ****holes that you worship and relocating to places where they don't have to put up with people like you. Just like in 2016, Trump Country will let you believe whatever you like until it comes time to vote and then they'll put you back in your place again.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
www.united.com

What's funny about this is that the exact opposite of what you're proposing is happening. Labor Unions are getting weaker by the day, Blue states are losing people to red states because of jobs, people are fleeing the high taxed liberal ****holes that you worship and relocating to places where they don't have to put up with people like you. Just like in 2016, Trump Country will let you believe whatever you like until it comes time to vote and then they'll put you back in your place again.
Actually Washington state is the fastest growing state in the country and Seattle is the fastest growing big city.

114,000 more people: Seattle now decade’s fastest-growing big city in all of U.S.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...united-states/

"Washington posted the best performance among the 50 U.S. states in the first quarter, the federal Bureau of Economic Analysis said. Gross domestic product, the official yardstick for the economy, expanded at a 3.6% annual pace.

By contrast, the U.S. economy as a whole grew just 2% in the first quarter."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...tes-2018-07-24

Washington state #1 economy in America
https://www.commerce.wa.gov/director...onomy-america/

Washington State has nation’s fastest growing economy for 2nd year
https://washingtonstatewire.com/wash...-for-2nd-year/

And Texas is the second largest contributor to Washington's growth.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ut-from-where/

I don't care what happens to Trump country, I just want to separate from them as much as possible.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:08 PM

467 posts, read 1,050,881 times
Quote:
Actually Washington state is the fastest growing state in the country and Seattle is the fastest growing big city.

114,000 more people: Seattle now decade’s fastest-growing big city in all of U.S.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...united-states/

"Washington posted the best performance among the 50 U.S. states in the first quarter, the federal Bureau of Economic Analysis said. Gross domestic product, the official yardstick for the economy, expanded at a 3.6% annual pace.

By contrast, the U.S. economy as a whole grew just 2% in the first quarter."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...tes-2018-07-24

Washington state #1 economy in America
https://www.commerce.wa.gov/director...onomy-america/

Washington State has nation’s fastest growing economy for 2nd year
https://washingtonstatewire.com/wash...-for-2nd-year/

And Texas is the second largest contributor to Washington's growth.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ut-from-where/

I don't care what happens to Trump country, I just want to separate from them as much as possible.
Help me understand something.

All these Texans flocking to Washington and Seattle are coming for the ultra-competitive, high paying tech jobs.

But according to you, Trump country and Texas in particular are full of nothing but uneducated idiots.

Maybe you don’t know as much as you think you do about the world outside of your liberal bubble.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
Help me understand something.

All these Texans flocking to Washington and Seattle are coming for the ultra-competitive, high paying tech jobs.

But according to you, Trump country and Texas in particular are full of nothing but uneducated idiots.

Maybe you don’t know as much as you think you do about the world outside of your liberal bubble.
I don't know that Texans coming to Seattle are coming for ultra-competitive high paying tech jobs AT ALL. Ever look at the Seattle and Washington boards? More often than not they come here on a wing and prayer, shocked at the higher cost of living. I could post 50 examples in ten minutes.

Republicans have gone on record saying they think the college educated are elitist and Trump has bragged how much he loves the uneducated. My response was to another poster, who said people are leaving blue states for red states. I know we have more people moving to Seattle than we have houses available for them to buy. And this has been true for years. Pretending that all those tech jobs are going to Texans is wishful thinking at best.

My original point - to another poster - was that Washington, a state so blue that Trump only got 8% of the Seattle vote - is the fastest growing state in the country with the best economy in the country and Seattle is the fastest growing large city in the country.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:34 PM

467 posts, read 1,050,881 times
You are something else.

It’s no secret we’ve become a major tech hub. The record numbers of Texans moving here coincides with the expansion of that tech hub.

But according to you, the two aren’t related, it’s just a weird coincidence. Pfff, yeah right.

BTW, this is a discussion forum, I don’t care if you were replying to someone else. I’ll post wherever and whenever I like.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
You are something else.

It’s no secret we’ve become a major tech hub. The record numbers of Texans moving here coincides with the expansion of that tech hub.

But according to you, the two aren’t related, it’s just a weird coincidence. Pfff, yeah right.

BTW, this is a discussion forum, I don’t care if you were replying to someone else. I’ll post wherever and whenever I like.
Bellingham is not a tech hub. It's a college town. Again, we have numerous examples of Texans moving to Washington on the board and probably 90% of them are coming with little more than the change in their pocket. For such a successful state, one would think TEXANS WOULD STAY HOME. No one is asking Texans to move to Washington state and my response to another poster shows that the growth in Washington is the largest in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections