Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 07:54 AM

14,887 posts, read 10,088,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Attacking Trump seems to harden his base, not divide it. Democrats need to appeal to the issues of angry old white men, without attacking him, and offering concrete policies to address their declining status and health issues.
Ok, can you give me some examples of how Democrats could pull that off? Trump is doing a pretty good job of keeping and increasing the support of "angry old white men" which is just left wing code for "blue collar workers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 09:56 PM

33,613 posts, read 12,816,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Ok, can you give me some examples of how Democrats could pull that off? Trump is doing a pretty good job of keeping and increasing the support of "angry old white men" which is just left wing code for "blue collar workers".

Old 08-01-2018, 10:00 PM

7,491 posts, read 5,007,055 times
Quote:
Regardless of how you feel about Donald Trump, the Russia investigation or the hooker that he paid off, let's assume that Donald Trump is the Republican candidate for President in 2020.

Regardless of who wins the Democrat primary elections or ends up running against Donald Trump in 2020, let's assume they both survive physically and politically until the election day.

Which platforms/issues/topics will Democrats run on to defeat Donald Trump?

Illegal Immigration?
Border security?
The economy?
Jobs?
Taxes?
War?
Foreign Policy?
Healthcare?
Something new?

What will Democrats run on and how will they possibly beat Donald Trump on that issue?
None of the above. The problem with the current government is integrity, honesty, facts, and a general destruction of international relationships.

The rest will sort itself out once the people know the facts.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:36 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,814,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
None of the above. The problem with the current government is integrity, honesty, facts, and a general destruction of international relationships.

The rest will sort itself out once the people know the facts.
Lawl

Tell this to Hillary Clinton who ran on continuing the Obama platform.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:37 PM

12,715 posts, read 7,875,487 times
Quote:
Actually "angry old white men" are reactionary social conservatives, predominantly evangelical Christians but also other ideologies that promote a WASP society. Those people are Trump's base. It has nothing to do with blue collar or white collar.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:56 PM

79,208 posts, read 61,326,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Attacking Trump seems to harden his base, not divide it. Democrats need to appeal to the issues of angry old white men, without attacking him, and offering concrete policies to address their declining status and health issues.
That "declining status" crap is a non-issue for aging white men.

My father and his coffee buddies don't sit around talking about how "wow, we've got declining status". That was an ugly gender and racially insulting theme crafted to write off the complaints and issues of older white men as just being due to racism and misogyny.

They talk about things like JOBS, good paying jobs...not crap jobs with few benefits.
(They note how off-shoring and on-shoring has impacted that)

They talk about taxes, especially in Illinois where there is a lot of political corruption and they wind up footing the bill in their property taxes etc.

They talk about healthcare.

They talk about how expensive college is unless you get some nice scholarships.

They have many of the same concerns as other people do, vilifying them as only having their views on some of these topics as being purely race\gender motivated is pretty vile.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:05 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,773,151 times
The dems will register millions of illegals to vote, or they will go through a database of dead people and register them.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:11 PM

18,774 posts, read 18,302,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
The dems will register millions of illegals to vote, or they will go through a database of dead people and register them.

They tried that the last election. But Hillary was not exciting enough to even get the dead to turn out!

Old 08-02-2018, 01:50 PM

4,506 posts, read 3,972,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Let me get this straight.

Trump supporters are afraid of being attacked or ridiculed in public by big, bad liberals, so they stay under the radar by not revealing what they really think? Therefore all polls are off because they don’t count the “shy Trump voter”?

Is that it??

If so, I have two questions.

1. Do you really believe that load of crap?

2. If it’s true, why is it that Trumpists are always calling the left wimps and snowflakes when the cowards are on your side?
Let me help you get this straight. I live in the free range insane asylum known as Los Angeles. You know, the place where people take a pick ax to Trump's star. After the election I had SEVERAL customers ask who I voted for before they would hire me. I lied. I have had several friends whose cars were vandalized due to having a Trump bumper sticker, there's no way I would put one on my car. So....

1. Yes, I believe that crap because it's true. I also never answer pollsters.

2. The "snowflake" moniker came about because after the election Liberals were seen crying and weeping en masse. They couldn't attend class, they needed "safe spaces" and therapy puppies and coloring books. Soon, however, we got to see their true colors. Celebrities wishing they could "blow up the White House", violent campus protests against anyone who wouldn't tow the Liberal line, even a shooting at a congressional baseball game.

So, it's not that Trump supporters (Trumpists to you) are cowards, we're just smart. We don't wish to feed the Liberal media machine, we don't care to tell you what we think and we don't care what you think of us. All we do is VOTE.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:08 PM

34,285 posts, read 17,372,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Let me help you get this straight. I live in the free range insane asylum known as Los Angeles. You know, the place where people take a pick ax to Trump's star. After the election I had SEVERAL customers ask who I voted for before they would hire me. I lied. I have had several friends whose cars were vandalized due to having a Trump bumper sticker, there's no way I would put one on my car. So....

1. Yes, I believe that crap because it's true. I also never answer pollsters.

2. The "snowflake" moniker came about because after the election Liberals were seen crying and weeping en masse. They couldn't attend class, they needed "safe spaces" and therapy puppies and coloring books. Soon, however, we got to see their true colors. Celebrities wishing they could "blow up the White House", violent campus protests against anyone who wouldn't tow the Liberal line, even a shooting at a congressional baseball game.

So, it's not that Trump supporters (Trumpists to you) are cowards, we're just smart. We don't wish to feed the Liberal media machine, we don't care to tell you what we think and we don't care what you think of us. All we do is VOTE.
BINGO.

Our vote resulted in SC Associate Justice Gorsuch. Tax cuts.

That is how we make ourselves heard-even in your safe rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections