Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 08:25 AM

34,290 posts, read 17,382,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
That scenario is very likely to happen and it will take an exceptional Democrat to defeat him, given how the party coalitions are balanced. Not sure who the best Democrat would be, but most likely someone who takes relatively moderate positions but inspires people at the same time, and focuses more on the needs and wants of the national audience rather than Trump's scandals and controversies. This person would have a track record of accomplishments and bipartisan support.

I think Governor Steve Bullock from Montana and Senator Amy Klobuchar from Minnesota have some potential. Some of the overly hyped names like Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are less promising, especially since Trump has already demonstrated his efficacy in tearing them apart.
Dems best option would be ex Nashville mayor, ex Tn governor Phil Bredesen, fiscally conservative who
reduced TennCare rolls over a million. Led an income tax free state.

Does not emote. Rational, non emotional speaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 08:42 AM

52,808 posts, read 48,232,602 times
Since many moderate Democrats are actually leaving the party (including many minorities), it'll be the radical extremists who'll have to tally up whatever vote they can muster, regardless of who their candidate is. It won't matter, though. They'd have to vote against a robust and always-improving economy. Dems have nothing to run on, and no person in his/her right mind can vote against an economy that's good. It's the economy, folks.

We'll worry about 2020 later, but let's assure ourselves that conservatives will make their presences and their voices loud and clear as the midterms roll. Conservatives MUST keep the Senate and the House. The way left-wingers are acting, then this shouldn't be hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arresmillao View Post
dj chump won't have a chance, if he lost by 2 million votes in 2016, he will lose by at least 10 million in 2020, although I doubt he will run, he has united democrats, the mid terms in nov will be a blow out with the blue wave growing steadily, chump is the joke of the world, and not just the democrats are going to solidify against him, but chump also lost most independents that voted for him, get used to say "President Pocahontas"
What a delusional post. As usual, the crybabies will always have something to pout about, but never an utterance about a solution. And, also as usual, they are spreading falsehoods and misconceptions about the last election without any educated and astute thought. If today's Dems want to use hate as their modus operandi, then they'll be in for a rude awakening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Maybe somebody steady, sane, and without scandal and corruption. Someone charismatic and qualified. A younger version of Joe Biden? I'm hoping Trump is impeached before 2020 and Pence is primaried by someone more sane and centrist. I would vote Republican again but as it stands now, I can't support the Republican party. I also can't support a far left candidate. Maybe it's time for an independent with high moral values?
Regarding the bolded, you will not find it in the Democrat Party. It didn't happen with Darth Barry, and it sure as hell didn't happen with the woman abuser known as Slick Willie. And don't even get me started on this Ocasio-Cortez chick. She's got nothing.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,228,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The typical worker hasnt seen a raise in 20 years. The economy being so strong is a figment of some people's imagination, pushed by corporate media. Over 80% of the stock market is owned by the top 10%. We're living in a society where big wealth call the shots, not ordinary workers. I think you are overestimating how wonderful people believe things are.
20 years?!?!? LMAO.... I own a business. Why didn't anybody tell me I didn't have to give raises for 20 years????

Old 07-23-2018, 08:49 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,273,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Maybe somebody steady, sane, and with out scandal and corruption. Someone charismatic and qualified. A younger version of Joe Biden? I'm hoping Trump is impeached before 2020 and Pence is primaried by someone more sane and centrist. I would vote Republican again but as it stands now, I can't support the Republican party. I also can't support a far left candidate. Maybe it's time for an independent with high moral values?
Where have you been? A younger Biden free of scandal: were you even alive when he plagiarized papers? Do you realize how many times he tried and failed? And you say charismatic, Biden?

What do you mean about about Pence and being sane? You obviously are making statements based on your dislike for The GOP and not based on fact. As for impeachment, not likely, but stranger things have happened. You say you would vote Republican again, I have to wonder how many times you have voted for a Republican?

I just don't understand where some people get their ideas? Do I personal like Trump?NOPE and I think he really screwed up his meetings with Putin, certainly the after comments. Would I like to see someone running that is free of scandal? Of curse but with 24/7 and social media, it is hard to use the bathroom anymore without some one making a big deal out of it.

With all that being said, I still have my doubts about Trump running again. I am happy with most of what he has done but I also am not sure there is much more he can do and he will never be able to bring the 2 sides together.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:50 AM

79,220 posts, read 61,343,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
That scenario is very likely to happen and it will take an exceptional Democrat to defeat him, given how the party coalitions are balanced. Not sure who the best Democrat would be, but most likely someone who takes relatively moderate positions but inspires people at the same time, and focuses more on the needs and wants of the national audience rather than Trump's scandals and controversies. This person would have a track record of accomplishments and bipartisan support.

I think Governor Steve Bullock from Montana and Senator Amy Klobuchar from Minnesota have some potential. Some of the overly hyped names like Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders are less promising, especially since Trump has already demonstrated his efficacy in tearing them apart.
There is currently a power struggle going on in the democratic party where young "upstarts" are trying to get some of the old guard to step aside. It doesn't look good for the upstarts considering they old folks have their handle on the $$$$$$. (Pelosi, Clinton etc.)

Also, like a bad horror movie, I'm not counting Hillary out until it's literally too late for her to enter the race.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:50 AM

3,232 posts, read 2,271,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Dems best option would be ex Nashville mayor, ex Tn governor Phil Bredesen, fiscally conservative who
reduced TennCare rolls over a million. Led an income tax free state.

Does not emote. Rational, non emotional speaker.
Bredesen would have potential if he wins the Senate race this year, although I've never heard he has ambitions beyond the Senate. But there is a balance between being rational and reasonable, and showing emotions. Successful politicians on both sides use emotional appeals to gain support and stimulate turnout. I don't think a single president has been elected without displaying and using emotional techniques.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:04 AM

3,232 posts, read 2,271,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is currently a power struggle going on in the democratic party where young "upstarts" are trying to get some of the old guard to step aside. It doesn't look good for the upstarts considering they old folks have their handle on the $$$$$$. (Pelosi, Clinton etc.)

Also, like a bad horror movie, I'm not counting Hillary out until it's literally too late for her to enter the race.
Clinton certainly wants to be president, but she is not likely to win the Democratic nomination again, let alone a general election against the man who already defeated her. She had difficulty winning the nomination in 2016 against a weak opposition field, and there will be a lot more competition in 2020.

If Democrats cannot capture the House in the midterm of a Republican president with net negative popularity, calls will intensify for Pelosi and other current leaders to step aside. The status quo isn't working as far as enabling the party to win enough elections in the key places.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 AM

37 posts, read 31,637 times
They wont. If they continue to follow the model they have been they won't be winning any election after Trumps next victory either. At least it's a guarantee that we have a President putting America first again for the next 6 years.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:34 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,964,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeep556 View Post
They wont. If they continue to follow the model they have been they won't be winning any election after Trumps next victory either. At least it's a guarantee that we have a President putting America first again for the next 6 years.
You cant win elections consistently being anti-religion (70% of voters) and anti-white (63% of voters).

If the Dems just were neutral on race and religion they could win on class warfare.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:36 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,337,796 times
Phil Bredesen is just a year younger than Joe Biden without the name recognition.

He’ll do very well just to defeat Marsha Blackburn and win a Senate seat, and honestly, I wouldn’t even bet on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections