Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 11:30 AM

37,845 posts, read 41,204,811 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking possibly up to 3 races: Senator, Congressman, Governor (plus whatever you've got going locally.

If you haven't already, when you go to your polling place, please ask them "How is turnout?" I'd be curious what early voting is looking like across the country.

Voted on Wednesday. I did not ask about Republican primary ballots vs Democrat primary ballots, just how has turnout been. In my state, you can take either ballot and we do have to show our driver's license. They said turnout was good, better than it was for local offices which was held in the Spring this year. Early primary voting for us started on July 11 and I believe ends today. When I went on Wednesday, I was able to walk right up to a voting machine (which is why I early voted later in the early voting cycle) but all of the other machines were occupied. It was about 2:00P. Was told to avoid lunch time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 04:02 PM

17,435 posts, read 11,456,807 times
Personally, I think it's a bad idea to allow voting as early as 3-4 months before an election. Much can change during those months and there's no way to take back your vote. What's the time limit on early voting, 3 months, 6 months some places? Is there any uniformity?

Old 07-27-2018, 10:15 PM

29,253 posts, read 22,556,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Personally, I think it's a bad idea to allow voting as early as 3-4 months before an election. Much can change during those months and there's no way to take back your vote. What's the time limit on early voting, 3 months, 6 months some places? Is there any uniformity?
There's no uniformity; the individual states make all the voting decisions, and some states have not yet allow early voting at all.

I don't' know of any state that allows a primary vote to be cast 3-4 months before a primary, though. I agree- that's too far out for a primary, and most states think so too. 6 weeks is the longest early voting permitted that I know of for a primary, and even that's too long, I think, as a primary is very prone to sudden drop-outs and new folks entering as late as is allowed.

That's not the case in the national elections, though; after the conventions are over, both major party's candidates become fixed nominees, and the primaries have ended in the states by then, so I see nothing wrong with voting early. The ballot isn't going to change once it's complete.

There's always the possibility of a nominee's sudden death in that period between convention and election, but so far, that's never happened, and if it ever does, I guess we will all learn how a party deals with it, as well as how the electorate deals with it too.

It's happened in the states, and sometimes, the outcome is a surprise, while other times, no surprise at all.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:25 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,594,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There's no early voting 3-4 months before the election. The election going on right now isn't the general election which takes place in early November. Right now it's the primary.

The primary and the general are totally different elections. There are a lot of candidates that are in the primary but they won't make it to the general election.

Plus the general election will have more local issues such as amendments. For example, there's a state which will be voting on expanding ACA in the general and some states will have marijuana legalization in the general.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:46 PM

17,435 posts, read 11,456,807 times
Thank you both for clarifying.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:37 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,940,411 times
Never voted in primaries.... Always voted in general election...

Old 07-31-2018, 07:07 PM

639 posts, read 250,703 times
Yes I voted in May in my primary,I didn't get a chance to vote in the runoff last week because had no car to get to polls...didn't matter anyways Kemp won in a landslide like I wanted so its all good. I will definitely go vote in November even if I have to walk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections