Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 11:35 AM

30,662 posts, read 18,276,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Statewide elected Repubs generally don’t agree to debates unless they think that they are in trouble. The fact that cruz is agreeing to debates with a Dem in beet-red Texas tells you all that you need to know.
Me thinks you are going to have a lot of egg on your face come November. Btw, Ted Cruz did two debates during the general election campaign in 2012 and we all know how that turned out for him Note, even Gregg Abbott debated Wendy Davis twice in 2014, and we know how that turned out for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 01:10 PM

21,486 posts, read 10,596,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Beto has a chance - elections can be unpredictable. He has a LOT more money than Cruz and appears more likable. Cruz had a good resume, but he apparently decided that if a 1st term Senator from Illinois could blast his way into the White House .... how hard could it be? He concentrated on that goal for 4 years and fell flat on his face. Texans didn't like it - even though they barely supported him in his Presidential Primary. He is lucky he wan't primaried by a Top Name in the Texas GOP - and I think he is aware of that.

Leftists tell us History says - it's a Blue Wave and odds are that the opposition party will win big.
As I posted before -- you have to dig down in the polls, check out the questions and look at all the figures and not just the "Headline" which is Up/Down.

Beto's biggest hurdle is the "I don't know enough about him" ...... at around 45% of the electorate with 100 days from Election Day. That's in a State of 254 Counties. It's a high hurdle

We know your opinion of Texans - "numb from the neck up" i.e. ..... Stupid-Ignorant-Racists.
Not much of a Campaign slogan for any Candidate -
....... but the Leftists just can't help but insult the voters.

That actually could have a lot to do with Losing over 1,000 seats in the last decade.
Beto is in favor of Abolishing Ice and said he would vote for Impeachment - neither will fly well down here.
I know, this is exactly why I will vote for Ted Cruz for the first time, even though in a normal year I would be glad to vote for Beto. He seems more likable, but he’s far too beholden to the National Democratic Party. As far as I’m concerned, the abolish ICE open borders Democrats that we have now can go f themselves. I won’t vote for them again.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:25 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,305,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I know, this is exactly why I will vote for Ted Cruz for the first time, even though in a normal year I would be glad to vote for Beto. He seems more likable, but he’s far too beholden to the National Democratic Party. As far as I’m concerned, the abolish ICE open borders Democrats that we have now can go f themselves. I won’t vote for them again.
I'm not going to call you a liar, but your post history would indicate that there's a high likelihood that while you may never have voted for Cruz, you're far from a democrat. Just sayin'.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'm not going to call you a liar, but your post history would indicate that there's a high likelihood that while you may never have voted for Cruz, you're far from a democrat. Just sayin'.
of course you can't call her a liar. Her party affiliation may or may not tell how she has voted in the past. I know mine doesn't. I am a conservative/libertarian. I am a registered Republican but i have supported Dec in the past and might again. If I were still living in Texas I might have trouble voting for Cruz.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Yeah, that’s because I joined C-D after I changed. But I still didn’t vote for Ted Cruz because he always struck me as smarmy and I am not a fan of the evangelical wing of the party. I often vote democrat for local elections. I never voted for George Bush or Rick Perry for governor either. And I never voted for Bush for president. I hated him then. I still think he was one of the worst presidents.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:18 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,305,268 times
Quote:
Yeah, that’s because I joined C-D after I changed. But I still didn’t vote for Ted Cruz because he always struck me as smarmy and I am not a fan of the evangelical wing of the party. I often vote democrat for local elections. I never voted for George Bush or Rick Perry for governor either. And I never voted for Bush for president. I hated him then. I still think he was one of the worst presidents.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:37 PM

24,019 posts, read 15,115,869 times
Cruz sucking up to Trump after what was said about his wife and father tells me all I need to know. He is an opportunist. Cruz wasn't a senator long enough for all Texans to even know who he was before he started running for POTUS.

Go Beto. We went to a Beto town hall about 6 months ago. We were impressed by his willingness to discuss whatever the questioner brought up, with civility and with respect. A democrat is used to being completely and totally ignored by Texas politicians. They only care about those who voted for them.

The majority of people eligible to vote in Texas do not vote. Beto needs to get them to vote. Texas was reasonable for a long time. We were one of the first state to pass the ERA. It all changed when those yankee oil people moved down here.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Cruz sucking up to Trump after what was said about his wife and father tells me all I need to know. He is an opportunist. Cruz wasn't a senator long enough for all Texans to even know who he was before he started running for POTUS.

Go Beto. We went to a Beto town hall about 6 months ago. We were impressed by his willingness to discuss whatever the questioner brought up, with civility and with respect. A democrat is used to being completely and totally ignored by Texas politicians. They only care about those who voted for them.

The majority of people eligible to vote in Texas do not vote. Beto needs to get them to vote. Texas was reasonable for a long time. We were one of the first state to pass the ERA. It all changed when those yankee oil people moved down here.
If I could be assured he would vote for Texas’ best interests over the national party interests, I might vote for him. But I don’t think that’s possible with all the outside money he’s getting. What is definitely not in Texas’ best interest is abolishing ICE. Even though I’m sure that’s not going to happen (what democrat ever got rid of a government agency and their union money?), just the fact that he pandered to them pisses me off.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:36 PM

17,447 posts, read 9,283,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Statewide elected Repubs generally don’t agree to debates unless they think that they are in trouble. The fact that cruz is agreeing to debates with a Dem in beet-red Texas tells you all that you need to know.
OMG ...... I guess this is clear evidence that Governor Greg Abbot is in TROUBLE and might lose to Sheriff Lupe.

Where do you folks get these weird ideas ...... does anyone remember that Ted Cruz (not my favorite CongressCritter) is a DEBATE Champion. I'm guessing he thinks he will beat Beto like a Step-Child.
Don't read too much into this stuff -- Cruz is a Politician that actually LOVES to "debate", 'cause he is good at it.

IF you post the Debate schedule ....... I might even watch, and I'm not a fan of these things.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:00 AM

17,447 posts, read 9,283,828 times
Quote:
If I could be assured he would vote for Texas’ best interests over the national party interests, I might vote for him. But I don’t think that’s possible with all the outside money he’s getting. What is definitely not in Texas’ best interest is abolishing ICE. Even though I’m sure that’s not going to happen (what democrat ever got rid of a government agency and their union money?), just the fact that he pandered to them pisses me off.
Beto is a current CongressCritter representing El Paso. The bad news for him is that he has a clear voting record ..... and of course the Video Tape is always an issue for these folks. So - it comes down to "who ya gonna believe". Your own eyes or the "nuance" of the Politician and their lap dog Leftist Media?

H.Res. 990: Supporting the officers and personnel who carry out the important mission of the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement. |GovTrack
Whereas the national security interests of the United States are dependent on the brave men and women who enforce our Nation’s immigration laws;

Whereas abolishing United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) would mean open borders because it would eliminate the main agency responsible for removing people who enter or remain in our country illegally;

Whereas calls to abolish ICE are an insult to these heroic law enforcement officers who make sacrifices every day to secure our borders, enforce our laws, and protect our safety and security;

Whereas abolishing ICE would allow dangerous criminal aliens, including violent and ruthless members of the MS–13 gang, to remain in American communities;

Whereas during fiscal year 2017, ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) arrested more than 127,000 aliens with criminal convictions or charges;
(more facts at the link)

That the House of Representatives—
(1)expresses its continued support for all United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers and personnel who carry out the important mission of ICE;
(2)denounces calls for the abolishment of ICE; and
(3)supports the efforts of all Federal agencies, State law enforcement, and military personnel who bring law and order to our Nation’s borders.
BETO Vote ...... NAY

He now claims to be "nuanced" about ICE (NAY was not reallyNAY ) - but when the Rubber met the Road, he was in favor of "Abolish". Most of the Dems took the cowardly vote of "present" -- not the Brave Beto, he proudly voted NAY to ICE and it's work. That's fine, he can't unring that bell with a lot of "nuance".

Nor can he unring the video bell that he would vote to Impeach President Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections