Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 06:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I live in a "red state" ; Trump won by 15 points. So let's say that's roughly 60 to 45. That still means there's 4 to 5 in every 10 people that vote Democrat. It's not zero. Yard signs or no yard signs.
I live in TX
People vote Cruz basically w/one hand on the nose and one on the voting switch...
He is the HRC of the GOP----meaning no one likes him
And he never approaches regular people because he knows how little liking there is there...
A 6.5 spread at this point has to have a margin of error on any poll
It all depends on turnout--if enough GOP voters stay home and/or maybe vote Beto he has a chance
But so many voters in Texas vote against their own self interests because of two reasons: abortion and that the GOP really supports working class values...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 07:23 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But so many voters in Texas vote against their own self interests
A lot of people tend to do that. I guess they can't be faulted for it. Aside from the religious nonsense that the right uses to justify many of their stances... I can actually understand why they'd vote against their own self interest. I suppose I do it myself.

So, I voted for Sanders in the 2016 primary. His agenda, if elected President, might have hurt my bottom line. I have health insurance (it's not great, but I have it). I earn a decent amount of income. I could possibly afford to send my kids to college on my own dime (it is damn expensive though).

Yet he was pushing for Universal Healthcare and tax increases to support that as well as free college tuition for all.

In theory, that hurts me and mine. Without that legislation, my kids would have a leg up on those that can't afford college because maybe they'd have no student debt and be better educated than other people in their 20s. On paper, sounds like a lose-lose. Why would I vote for Sanders?

Because I think Universal Healthcare IS something we should have. And I think free college IS something we should have. However, I don't need these things. My kids might not need free college since maybe I could pay for it (maybe...). But, it is the right thing to do. Let all these students get free college and then let them succeed based on merit instead of it being based on their parents having a little bit of money to give them an advantage.

So you know what, I get now why maybe some Republicans vote the way they do. Even if they themselves have benefited from abortions (since that's the example given), they might recognize that it is the right thing to do (limit/abolish). To be fair though, someone in their 60s supporting something that they won't be affected by (abortions) isn't quite the same as my supporting UHC/College that WILL affect me in the pocketbook.

But, it is close enough.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:43 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
We should be the biggest GOP backers in some ways yet never voted that way
I am a realist
Even if I like Sainders there was no way he could get anything done in Congress
And I dont think he could have won vs Trump--too far left

Old 08-22-2018, 03:19 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
I live in TX
People vote Cruz basically w/one hand on the nose and one on the voting switch...
And he never approaches regular people because he knows how little liking there is there...
It all depends on turnout--if enough GOP voters stay home and/or maybe vote Beto he has a chance
But so many voters in Texas vote against their own self interests because of two reasons: abortion and that the GOP really supports working class values...

Old 08-22-2018, 03:35 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
New NBC/Marist poll, Cruz up by 4. Poll of registered voters.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/fir...entage-n902946

Old 08-22-2018, 03:40 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
New NBC/Marist poll, Cruz up by 4. Poll of registered voters.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/fir...entage-n902946
Interesting and not surprising.

MOE is 3.8% so it's close.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:56 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
DH drove to his card game in a car with a Beto sticker on it. A player came in and asked who had the Beto sticker. Dh confessed.

They all voted Trump. They are all voting Beto.

Have not seen an yard signs. But if they have them at the town hall up near the Woodlands tomorrow, I'm getting 5.

DIL tells us they are all over her part of Richardson.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:05 PM

1,733 posts, read 949,015 times
Quote:
I live in TX

IMO, you're incorrect wrt bolded. I am an Independent and vote republican 90% of the time. Texas is booming and people are moving here in droves.

The problem with voting for Beto is, what is his game plan? Granted, he's a smooth talker and reminds me of Obama in that respect. However, also like Obama, he talks out of both sides of his mouth. He'll say anything to get elected, then his real motives will become evident once he's in office.

Ted Cruz isn't perfect, but he's honest, and a brilliant individual. Some tell me he resembles a "snake oil salesman, " I counter with, "I'm ugly too, but I'm smart." Yes, Beto is a handsome, articulate young man, but he hasn't accomplished much.

I'll vote for someone who has successfully argued in front of the SC, memorized the Constitution when he was a pre-teen, and was correct in his assessment regarding Obamacare. He was demonized for that, but he was right.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:19 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Cruz is neither honest nor brilliant, but right now, he's 4 points ahead according to CBS.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:30 PM

1,733 posts, read 949,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Cruz is neither honest nor brilliant, but right now, he's 4 points ahead according to CBS.

I disagree. He would be a fantastic addition to the SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections