Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 05:20 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,305,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
No Cruz was born in Canada--the country to the north of the US

Obama was born in Hawaii---one of the 50 US states...

They are both US citizens---Obama because he was born IN the US to a mother who was American citizen
Cruz because he inherited his right of citizenship from his mother who was married to a Cuban who had Canadian citizenship...
Cruz finally renounced his Canadian citizenship which he had kept even as a Senator when he ran for the presidential nomination...
That's why it says "like Obama, BUT NOT ACTUALLY BORN IN THE US" Obama was born in the US, and Rafael's circumstances, are LIKE OBAMAS, but HE WASN'T BORN IN THE US.

Reading is FUNdamental. I also know where Canada is, because, like Rafael, I was born there too.

Also, I was trying to make a point that it's likely that a large number of Raph's supporters also were not believers that Obama was an American, and that if anything, Obama is more entitled to citizenship than a Canadian/Cuban, since he is truly a natural born citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 05:22 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,305,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
I watched that video and yes, he's entitled to his pov. I have no issue with that, at all. What I object to is that the players insist on bringing their political views into a game, something they are paid very handsomely for. Do they take a knee anywhere else, or just when they are at work?

WRT "Trump's "racist rants," the left throws that label around so often these days, it has little meaning any longer. To tighten immigration laws, build the wall, and insist on merit based immigration, has nothing to do with race, no matter how much the left wants to make it so.
No, it's the constant message that black people are somehow mentally inferior, stupid, dumb, and there's lots of good people, both sides when you're talking about Nazis.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:32 PM

15,651 posts, read 10,413,163 times
Quote:

But he is not a "natural born" American citizen--
He is a citizen by inherited right--because of his mother's citizenship
Same way McCain who was born on a military base overseas to an American military officer and his wife (citizens both) was a citizen of the US--
Technically McCain was born on "American soil" because the hospital on base is considered US territory I think
Like a Navajo reservation in the US is considered "foreign soil"...
What's the definition of natural born citizen? a U.S. citizen at birth

All the sources routinely used to interpret the Constitution confirm that the phrase "natural born Citizen" has a specific meaning: namely, someone who was a U.S. citizen at birth with no need to go through a naturalization proceeding at some later time.

https://harvardlawreview.org/2015/03...-born-citizen/

ted cruz was a U.S citizen at birth and did not go through a naturalization proceeding at a later time; therefore, he is a natural born citizen.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-24-2018 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 05:40 PM

1,733 posts, read 950,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
No, it's the constant message that black people are somehow mentally inferior, stupid, dumb, and there's lots of good people, both sides when you're talking about Nazis.

So in your view, it's horrendous that Trump said that about the white nationalists, yet it's a-ok that he also included the antifa mob?

Some seem to forget that point.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:28 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,715,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
As a New Yorker watching from afar, I'm a huge fan of O'Rourke. Also helps that we attended the same university and we know some of the same folks (though I've never met him).

If he wins, I want this guy to be the Dem nominee for 2020. He has the charisma, intellect and "it" factor. And he's moderate. He could peel off some of the angry white dudes. Reps would look like fools calling him too liberal.

I too am watching Beto O'Rourke from afar.

Here in Pennsylvania ( Pittsburgh) we have another young qualified Democratic candidate who has the same characteristics. His name is Conor Lamb ( currently representing the 18th as of only recently as a result of a special election). I think he could be a rising star and someone with a future but, I am with the poster Crone who stated, " give him time to learn".

If you are interested:

Former Federal prosecutor( University of Pennsylvania undergrad and Law)U.S. assistant attorney
Former Captain in the Marines
Current Major in the reserves
Has the same charisma, apparent intellect and "it" factors you mention. Very articulate and moderated.

Both Beto and Conor give this citizen hope.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:18 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
That's why it says "like Obama, BUT NOT ACTUALLY BORN IN THE US" Obama was born in the US, and Rafael's circumstances, are LIKE OBAMAS, but HE WASN'T BORN IN THE US.

Reading is FUNdamental. I also know where Canada is, because, like Rafael, I was born there too.

Also, I was trying to make a point that it's likely that a large number of Raph's supporters also were not believers that Obama was an American, and that if anything, Obama is more entitled to citizenship than a Canadian/Cuban, since he is truly a natural born citizen.
You said Cruz was a natural-born citizen
He isn't
Natural born means born IN the statutory limits of the US and its territories like Puerto Rico

Old 08-24-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I too am watching Beto O'Rourke from afar.

Here in Pennsylvania ( Pittsburgh) we have another young qualified Democratic candidate who has the same characteristics. His name is Conor Lamb ( currently representing the 18th as of only recently as a result of a special election). I think he could be a rising star and someone with a future but, I am with the poster Crone who stated, " give him time to learn".

If you are interested:

Former Federal prosecutor( University of Pennsylvania undergrad and Law)U.S. assistant attorney
Former Captain in the Marines
Current Major in the reserves
Has the same charisma, apparent intellect and "it" factors you mention. Very articulate and moderated.

Both Beto and Conor give this citizen hope.
I sent Conor Lamb a donation for his special election run...
He is exactly the kind of person we need in government

One thing about having such a cretin like Trump and his GOP gang in power is that good men and women have taken the challenge to improve government and remove the people in power who are not living up to,their oath of office...

Old 08-24-2018, 08:22 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,049,208 times
For every out of state liberal who saw Beto's video and fell in love there's a Texan voter who saw it and realized just how out of touch with this state he is. It's funny how Beto claims that having differing opinions doesn't make you any less of a person but his supports love to hatefully attack anyone who doesn't buy their line of BS.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
So in your view, it's horrendous that Trump said that about the white nationalists, yet it's a-ok that he also included the antifa mob?

Some seem to forget that point.
Not the topic of the thread
Don't try to steer this someplace it doesn't need to,go

Old 08-24-2018, 08:26 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,049,208 times
Quote:
Not the topic of the thread
Don't try to steer this someplace it doesn't need to,go
Of course it's on topic, you guys have no problem trying to link Cruz to President Trump but you don't want people linking Beto to anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections