Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 06:42 AM

13,699 posts, read 9,026,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I've been driving I-35 since before there was an I-35 ..... South Texas to Fort Worth
I drive it at least a dozen times a year at minimum ..... I've never once driven I-35 when there was no construction. Not even once.

I no longer go through Austin - pay the toll and loop around it. It's spendy, but so worth it to save an hour off my trip to the coast and to avoid the stress of getting through Austin.

I will second this. I used to go from Fort Worth to Austin on a regular basis in the 1970s, with construction always going on (at that time, from about Waco to Temple). I drove my wife down to Round Rock some 8 years ago, and was again appalled at the construction and heavy traffic.

Now, back to the Senate race. One problem facing Mr. O'Rourke (in addition to being a Democrat running for the Senate in Texas), is lack of name recognition.

I imagine that he will get a boost this coming week when he is slated to appear on Ellen Degenerous (sic?) show. I read that she liked that viral video of his defending the right to engage in peaceful protest (taking the knee), and so invited him.

Will it help? I imagine to at least a small extent, at least with name recognition.

Some artist did a strange portrait of Mr. Cruz covered in tattoos. Here is a link to a website, noting that Mr. Cruz even talked about the portrait during a speech:

Ted Cruz Fondly Describes Weird Shirtless Poster Of Self Made by Super Racist Artist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 06:47 AM

24,019 posts, read 15,120,909 times
My morning paper has a report on the DWI charge. Whole new light on it. Seems a pick up traveling the same direction was struck. It was not as simple as first reported. Waiting for more info. Still not enough to get me to vote for Cruz, though.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 AM

15,651 posts, read 10,413,163 times
Beto el doneo

It has long been a matter of public record that Beto O’Rourke was arrested for driving while intoxicated in 1998, but a police report recently obtained by the Houston Chronicle reveals that the Democratic Senate candidate crashed and tried to flee the scene before his arrest.

O’Rourke, then 26, was driving at “a high rate of speed” on a Texas highway roughly ten miles from the New Mexico border when he crashed into a truck and spun across the median into oncoming traffic. A witness whom O’Rourke passed shortly before crashing later told police he personally prevented O’Rourke from fleeing the scene. The unnamed witness “turned on his overhead lights to warn oncoming traffic and to try to get the defendant [O’Rourke] to stop,” according to the report.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...8-13195088.php

But beto, the son of an El Paso County judge, completed a court-ordered diversion program and all charges were dismissed.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:00 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,480,391 times
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...75198169411584

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
I will be doing a major rally for Senator Ted Cruz in October. I’m picking the biggest stadium in Texas we can find. As you know, Ted has my complete and total Endorsement. His opponent is a disaster for Texas - weak on Second Amendment, Crime, Borders, Military, and Vets!

10:09 AM - 31 Aug 2018

Old 08-31-2018, 12:12 PM

17,820 posts, read 13,733,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
I will be doing a major rally for Senator Ted Cruz in October. I’m picking the biggest stadium in Texas we can find. As you know, Ted has my complete and total Endorsement. His opponent is a disaster for Texas - weak on Second Amendment, Crime, Borders, Military, and Vets!

Good to see Trump is lookin' after old Lyin' Ted. Knowing Trump he will say he was actually calling him 'Lion Ted' during the campaign.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:54 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,912,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

The fact that Cruz sux up to trump after trump accused his father of shooting JFK and made fun of his wife's looks is repulsive. I can't believe true TXN's would stand for either family slur from trump, let alone campaign with him.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:57 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,676,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Good to see Trump is lookin' after old Lyin' Ted. Knowing Trump he will say he was actually calling him 'Lion Ted' during the campaign.
That's funny - "Lion Ted". Don't give him any ideas!

I hope Beto pulls it off. I have zero respect and trust for a person who kisses up to the person who defamed his father and made nasty visual references to his wife. I also can't stand the way Cruz talks, especially with those dramatic pauses which are just grating.

Old 08-31-2018, 01:11 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,284,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Beto el doneo

It has long been a matter of public record that Beto O’Rourke was arrested for driving while intoxicated in 1998, but a police report recently obtained by the Houston Chronicle reveals that the Democratic Senate candidate crashed and tried to flee the scene before his arrest.O’Rourke, then 26, was driving at “a high rate of speed” on a Texas highway roughly ten miles from the New Mexico border when he crashed into a truck and spun across the median into oncoming traffic. A witness whom O’Rourke passed shortly before crashing later told police he personally prevented O’Rourke from fleeing the scene. The unnamed witness “turned on his overhead lights to warn oncoming traffic and to try to get the defendant [O’Rourke] to stop,” according to the report.https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Police-reports-detail-Beto-O-Rourke-s-1998-13195088.php. But beto, the son of an El Paso County judge, completed a court-ordered diversion program and all charges were dismissed.
People didn't care that Laura Bush had an accident involving a fatality, nor that George Bush had a DUI, so I don't think something O'Rourke did when he was younger--20 years ago--is going to matter. He's been open about it.

It is Cruz's campaign that is increasing Beto's popularity while trying to dredge up mud. Gotta love it. Good job Ted!

"...Beto O’Rourke’s rock-star status is cemented by Texas GOP, handing Dems an icon they desperately need.."

"...The evidence dredged up and circulated on Twitter, rather than incriminating O’Rourke, made him appear, well, downright seductive to some. It turned the congressman into a symbol of the connection between music and politics..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2bd93602b3cc

Old 08-31-2018, 02:30 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,812,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My morning paper has a report on the DWI charge. Whole new light on it. Seems a pick up traveling the same direction was struck. It was not as simple as first reported. Waiting for more info. Still not enough to get me to vote for Cruz, though.
W had a DUI and served 2 terms as potus. I don't think it's disqualifying.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:23 PM

24,019 posts, read 15,120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
W had a DUI and served 2 terms as potus. I don't think it's disqualifying.
Hell, didn't bother the Rs that he was absent without leave from the base..

It will all turn on get out the vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections